• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New to skiing

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello! I am new here.

According to a ski level chart I am a complete first time skier. I have looked at several different websites yet cannot find any sort of information on lesson description etc. I need some recommendations on nursery slopes. So what tips do you have for a first time skier? Should I buy a pair of skis or not? Suggestions on how to prepare are also needed. I have watched a few videos of people skiing online.
Please give me details on skills and lessons as well. I am a complete newbie to the sport. I was born into a family of non skiers. Where do I rent out equipment? What do I expect? How long is the lesson? My partner whilst not a expert can safely move about on a bunny/nursery slope alone. I am excited yet nervous. I have never been skiing before ever. Seriously. But there is a first time for everything.

Thanks in advance!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There’s a lot of advice to be had but most resorts offer ver affordable beginner lift and lesson packages. I’d start there.

Here is also a link to a “New to Skiing” thread you may find helpful:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’d say I’m an upper intermediate level skier. I started later in life, took beginner group lesson then moved on to private lessons and got a lot of advice from this and a former ski forum. It’s about time on the snow and good instruction imo. Other than maybe good fitting boots, I wouldn’t worry about buying equipment at this point.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thanks. And that article was somewhat useful! What level of skier are you?

Hey, I wrote that article. I've been skiing for 5 years now, and I got a lot more used to it. IMHO, focusing on "ski level" is detrimental. The most important thing is having fun. In order to have fun, you need to learn some technique. These days I am still a hack, i still consider myself a newbie (honestly), but I can "ski" most of the mountain, in most places. That includes off-piste, which is a lot of fun. And a lot of "experts only" terrain that I ski carefully but with endless joy, _in_ the right conditions (experts ski that much much better, in any condition, for perspective).

Just to put things in perspective even further, some skiers (and many in this site) ski over 100 days each season. That's probably more than I skied in my life. And I am fairly hooked to it. For most casual skiers, that's 20 to 30 years of skiing, about 5 days a season. And, it shows. So, yeah, I am a happy newbie. Don't care.

You are asking all the right questions. IMHO, the two main things to focus are: initially, *resist* the temptation to got into steep terrain. You will develop bad habits. I did make that mistake, and I am still fighting the bad habits I acquired. More here:

Also, try to find an instructor you like. Even a one hour private lesson every 5 to 10 ski days or so will make huge impact. And here is the deal, again, all IMHO, once you made some initial progress, ask them how soon you can get a bumps lesson. I wrote about it:

So, yes, I've been trying to share with other adult learners as I go, in case it helps. I am convinced that instruction helps us have fun, safer and longer, in more fun places, in those beautiful snowy mountains.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skiing in very simple terms is about balance and controlling the speed that gravity gives you.

Conceptually it is really that simple. The hard part is making it work smoothly.

Any instructor that teaches you balance and control is good, the rest comes down to slope time and having it become second nature.

Think of kids learning to crawl, waddle, walk and run. Its exactly the same thing for you, only you already have preconceived ideas of what some of the motions should be.

Best advice is enjoy, have fun and be safe. The rest happens quicker then you think.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I suggest you do a bit of roller or ice skating before showing up for your first lesson. Go to a rink, rent some skates, and get your balance figured out. You don't need to become a pro skater, but getting comfortable on skates will go a long way in those first few days of skiing. Balancing on skates is actually a bit more difficult that skis since they are so short.

For gear - plan on renting skis/boots/poles at first. You can buy boots later. If you have 'weird' feet, then you may need to buy boots before getting off the bunny hill. I skied in rental boots for many years as an intermediate - my feet are not too strange though.

The other thing that makes beginning harder is the clothes. If you are freezing or sweating, concentrating on the instruction becomes much harder. Beginners typically over dress. Which makes you sweat, and then you get wet and cold. Dress with thin layers and get waterproof jacket and snow pants with lots of zippers you can open to vent if you get too hot. You should feel a little chilly/cold if you are standing outside in your ski gear. Once you start moving, you will warm up.

And finally, get a bit of aerobic conditioning if you don't exercise already. Walking, jogging, or whatever keeps you interested enough to do it a couple times a week. Skiing is a sport. Having some basic physical fitness will make everything easier.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Welcome to the wonderful world of skiing!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I’m stoked up and terrified at the same time

YES! Be prepared for that. One of the most wonderful things about learning some technique and practicing is going from terror to fear to joy. It takes some time. Ahhhh, welcome to the club, I can tell you are already hooked :D

James

Out There
Instructor
Are you in England?
Is there an indoor area with snow rather than brushes?

TS
beginnerskier96

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes. I will ask tomorrow. I might be able to take lessons and work on building my skills. And gain confidence as I improve my technique.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
As @teejaywhy says, clothing is important. They'll rent you boots, skis, poles, even a helmet, but you need to be dressed for the cold.

You'll need (from the top down):
Goggles
A face mask, or neck gaiter,
Warm undershirt,
Warm coat (with or without a midlayer, like a fleece)
Warm gloves
Long johns
Ski pants

If every square inch of your face is covered you will not get that cold. Having your neck, or chin exposed on a cold day will make the experience much more unpleasant.

All of the advice about yoga, roller blading, etc. is good, but I wouldn't stress about it for a beginner lesson, as long as you have some reasonable fitness. The physical work you'll be doing at a beginner level isn't much. It's all about being balanced on the skis and able to slow down and stop (which hopefully they'll teach you lol!)

Some first timers fall a lot, others don't. They'll be low speed falls, so you'll be fine, but getting up can be challenging. Take off your skis. Your instructor should teach you how to get up.

Good luck!

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Writing in the cold with gloves on is tough! Of course you could take notes in the lodge after the lesson. Don't overthink it (and believe me I know from overthinking!)

Just go out, enjoy the lesson, listen to what the instructor says and try to keep your balance.

Feel the bottoms of your feet and where the weight (pressure) is. Keep it off your heels, keep it more in the middle or towards the front.

Don't bend over at the waist, or lean back.

Have you ever ice skated? If you can do that, skiing will be easy.

Sponsor

Staff online