• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Tires, Winter Tire Set or just new M+S?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I ran Hakkas (studless) on my Tacoma for a number of winters. I live in Breck, CO. They were bomber.

I now have Hankook iPike RW11s. The tires are snowflake rated. They are just as good as the Hakkas, in my subjective opinion. I don't push my vehicle to the max in snow. I drive with caution, but not slow either. I haven't taken them off for summer and they are wearing well. I put about 9K miles per year on tires and stay, for the most part, up in the mountains so the air temps are a not extremely hot.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I could start another thread but it seems like there's already a decent population of snow tire threads, @zephyr17 found his tires and my situation is somewhat similar.

I now have a Tacoma, will probably drive 8-10,000 winter miles including long stretches over iceable, snowy flat highways, mountain passes and ski resort approaches through various parts of the Rockies and their wintry valleys. I'll have 4x4 at the ready and occasionally will be breaking trail but also on long dry stretches too, so thinking I'll avoid studs.

The Hakkas seem like a good choice, particularly the R3 SUV and the LT2. The X-Ice also although I don't know that they'd be great at breaking trail. So about to pull the trigger on one of the Hakkas. Any opinions on which? I'd like to get 2 full seasons on them so as much as 20,000 miles. Think they'd make it?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Hakkas seem like a good choice, particularly the R3 SUV and the LT2. The X-Ice also although I don't know that they'd be great at breaking trail. So about to pull the trigger on one of the Hakkas. Any opinions on which? I'd like to get 2 full seasons on them so as much as 20,000 miles. Think they'd make it?

My Hakkas are looking good for a third 7,000 mile winter. Possibly a bit less tread the the previous Michelins at the same point.

I at least think I remember reading that longer tread life was one of the "things" about the new R3s.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Car I would definitely go Winter tire, on my F150 2wd, I’m running All Season Michelin tires 2 winters already, and about 60k miles and still good tread and traction.

In case of emergency I have a set of tire chains for the extra grab if needed.

For my application (Ontario, Canada and north eastern states) to does just fine considering most conditions are dry salted pavement. In colder or snowier conditions with greater inclines I would likely look at winters for the truck as well.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I now have a Tacoma, will probably drive 8-10,000 winter miles including long stretches over iceable, snowy flat highways, mountain passes and ski resort approaches through various parts of the Rockies and their wintry valleys. I'll have 4x4 at the ready and occasionally will be breaking trail but also on long dry stretches too, so thinking I'll avoid studs.

Unless you need extra sidewall durability for rocky conditions or such, I wouldn't put LT2s on a Taco. They're overkill on my F-150 for weight rating and they weigh roughly a metric f***ton, which has some effect on performance but more importantly is a serious PITA when swapping wheels and tires around. Mine are studded, and I've been quite happy with them, but they only have 7k miles (one winter) so far. The SUV tires also seem to be updated more frequently, so I think you get more recent tech that way (the LT2 dates 2012; the R3 was released this year).

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless you need extra sidewall durability for rocky conditions or such, I wouldn't put LT2s on a Taco. They're overkill on my F-150 for weight rating and they weigh roughly a metric f***ton, which has some effect on performance but more importantly is a serious PITA when swapping wheels and tires around. Mine are studded, and I've been quite happy with them, but they only have 7k miles (one winter) so far. The SUV tires also seem to be updated more frequently, so I think you get more recent tech that way (the LT2 dates 2012; the R3 was released this year).
Thanks for that. I'm targeting snow and ice not rock.

TS
Z

zephyr17

Booting up
Skier
Correction, looks like I am getting Hakkapellita R3 SUVs, not R2s. Discount Tire just called and said they could not get hold of R2s, but were substituting R3s, was that okay? I said yes. Can't find much in the way of direct comparison and the differences in the R3 seem to be less rolling resistance, stronger sidewalls, and maybe better tread life. Discount Tire suggested that the R3 was replacing the R2, although Nokian has both on their website.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup and run highway 3 quite a bit starting in the Fraser valley. Was running ko2 's and liked them in snow but they were not great in ice. Ditched the truck in wet ice so this year got the Nokian LT2 with studs and put them on separate rims. Heard good things about them from other guys running studded snows. Sounds like a few of the guys are going back to studs. Really wondering to see how they compare.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Personal preference if I would buy winters they would have studs (not allowed in southern Ontario, but chains are if needed, hence all seasons and chains).

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Nobody has mentioned the TPMS involved in having a second set of dedicated snow tires. The cost is not trivial.

I'm in much the same boat as Zephyr17, in that I have a 4x4 truck that serves as my ski-mobile come winter, while an AWD sedan is my daily driver (Taurus SHO). I got by with BFG A/T KO II's for several years, but it sure is nice to have studded full on snow tires (I use Firestone WInterforce, which no one on Pugski uses except me, apparently). It's always a massive snowstorm the day I'm leaving a ski resort.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nobody has mentioned the TPMS involved in having a second set of dedicated snow tires. The cost is not trivial.

I'm in much the same boat as Zephyr17, in that I have a 4x4 truck that serves as my ski-mobile come winter, while an AWD sedan is my daily driver (Taurus SHO). I got by with BFG A/T KO II's for several years, but it sure is nice to have studded full on snow tires (I use Firestone WInterforce, which no one on Pugski uses except me, apparently).

A set of TPMS sensors is ~$150-$200. They will last through many sets of tires. It is really not a significant expense, long term. The initial outlay can suck when added to the expense of new wheels and tires but it's not bad when amortized.

always a massive snowstorm the day I'm leaving a ski resort
I have always had "directional" snow tires that would perform amazingly well when headed North towards the mountains, Friday night. If it was snowing on Sunday afternoon it became "unsafe" to drive home and I had better stay another day(or two).:)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have always had "directional" snow tires that would perform amazingly well when headed North towards the mountains, Friday night. If it was snowing on Sunday afternoon it became "unsafe" to drive home and I had better stay another day(or two).:)

Yeah, better be safe and stay couple more days. Never know with the directional snow tires. The work much better going north to the resorts than heading south toward home. :D

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got to give a thumbs down to the Firestone Winterforce. They came in 11th out of 12 winter/snow truck tires tested by Consumer Reports this year.

I had studded Winterforce's on my truck for four or five seasons before my studded Hakka's. The Hakka's are so much better there is no comparison.

A closer comparison is with the X-ice 2's we have on our SUV. Even without studs, I think the X-ices are better than the Winterforce's in every condition except for the deepest snow. Forget the winter performance, the worst part of the Winterforce's was their horrendous dry road handling. It's amazing how far tire technology has come since the Winterforce was designed, probably sometime in the last century. :eek:

Here's a better option. The General Grabber Arctic really stands out in Consumer Reports ratings for an inexpensive winter tire. It came in 4th without studs, and it can be studded. :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier

$60 for a set of four for current-generation F-150s (c.f. https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-OEM-...:USPSFirstClass!59068!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr), or $45 for a set of four Subaru sensors (https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-Genuin...c4c5f76d:g:i8gAAOSw4CFYy6RJ:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr). I have no idea what other brands run, but $45 is about a third of a full tank of fuel, while $60 is almost half of a tank, so I wouldn't call that a big spend.

(I'm not sure what reprogramming takes on a Subaru; my F-150 just picks up the different sensors after a few miles of driving)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I've got to give a thumbs down to the Firestone Winterforce. They came in 11th out of 12 winter/snow truck tires tested by Consumer Reports this year.

I had studded Winterforce's on my truck for four or five seasons before my studded Hakka's. The Hakka's are so much better there is no comparison.

A closer comparison is with the X-ice 2's we have on our SUV. Even without studs, I think the X-ices are better than the Winterforce's in every condition except for the deepest snow. Forget the winter performance, the worst part of the Winterforce's was their horrendous dry road handling. It's amazing how far tire technology has come since the Winterforce was designed, probably sometime in the last century. :eek:

Here's a better option. The General Grabber Arctic really stands out in Consumer Reports ratings for an inexpensive winter tire. It came in 4th without studs, and it can be studded. :thumb::thumb:

They are better than any no-season tires though :roflmao:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Why I place zero value in CR and similar type reports. I have seen lots of these positive comments on the general grabbers so decided to try them last year on my truck. Total POS as a winter tire. No better than the standard hankooks I run the rest of the year and light years behind the Yokos I ran before for winter. So they are on CL now and a new set of Yokos waiting to fit.
As to the winterforce, they were a good tire at the time, I ran them about 9 years ago on my explorer and liked them and didn’t find they gave up much performance on dry roads. Of course any studded tire on dry pavement is going to have lesser performance than in non studded form...

Sponsor

Staff online