• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Skis for Very Recreational Wife

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Recreational in that she skis very recreationally - no that in she is my recreational wife, while I also maintain another, "pro" level wife.

If anyone is looking, Evo has Head Pure Joy on sale. Full size run. GREAT recreational ski. If you have a "recreational wife", Evo's description should sell you:

"Like a cloak you can don that gives you magical powers, the Head Pure Joy Skis + Joy 9 GW SLR Bindings are designed to turn new and tentative skiers into confident all-mountain riders with little drama and maximum fun along the learning curve."
I read this heading half asleep and it made me smile as I don’t think @martyg fully thought through the alternative meaning. Hope his wife has a sense of humor.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Maybe a little more info would help. I didn't see a location in your profile so will she be skiing east coast ice or softer snow out west? What length are you thinking about for her? You said she is a gym rat but nothing about her size or athletic ability. I understand that posting size of your wife on a public forum may not be a great idea, it just will help with ski recommendation.

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
She’s 5’5”. got the qsts for her. i personally love the head cores but decided that with how forgiving the qsts are they would be a better fit and at $300 couldn’t go wrong.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Already purchased. My post was more to let others know that there was a great deal out there on a well respected ski for those on the lower end of the curve.
I looked at the ski from the link you posted and it looks exactly like what you want. As far as your post for others to take advantage of the deal I thank you for the heads up. I think I might jump on that deal for my daughter who maybe skis three days a year. I didn't get a good look at the bindings and will have do some research on them. I am hoping for a binding on some type of track so they might be able to deal with rental boots. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Speaking of recreational skers, how many times per year do you think do you have to ski before it is worth buying skis versus renting?

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
Speaking of recreational skers, how many times per year do you think do you have to ski before it is worth buying skis versus renting?
If you ski often enough to pay off your gear with 2-years worth of rentals, I think it makes financial sense to purchase your own skis. However, sometimes it’s not even advantageous to own skis. If you are someone who always flies to the resort, rental is much nicer than lugging skis though the airport and into hired cars. Not to mention the added expense of transporting your own gear and the always-painfully-slow wait at the baggage carousel for the oversized ski bag to pop out.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Recreational in that she skis very recreationally - no that in she is my recreational wife, while I also maintain another, "pro" level wife.

If anyone is looking, Evo has Head Pure Joy on sale. Full size run. GREAT recreational ski. If you have a "recreational wife", Evo's description should sell you:

"Like a cloak you can don that gives you magical powers, the Head Pure Joy Skis + Joy 9 GW SLR Bindings are designed to turn new and tentative skiers into confident all-mountain riders with little drama and maximum fun along the learning curve."
Did you find what you're (she's) looking for?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
If you ski often enough to pay off your gear with 2-years worth of rentals, I think it makes financial sense to purchase your own skis. However, sometimes it’s not even advantageous to own skis. If you are someone who always flies to the resort, rental is much nicer than lugging skis though the airport and into hired cars. Not to mention the added expense of transporting your own gear and the always-painfully-slow wait at the baggage carousel for the oversized ski bag to pop out.
Your answer was what I was thinking. I would think it is better to rent for a 3x a year skier. But some people like owning their own gear I guess.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The pay off you overlook is that which you get used to you equipment which helps in you development. In boots it’s fit, comfort and consistency. In skis it‘s predictability and consistency of tune. By switching each outing it becomes difficult (extremely slow) to improve as these things change each outing.

I my opinion until you well on the way to being an advance or expert skier where you can adjust to equipment after a run or two (because you have the feel of how things should be and the ability to adjust), constantly switching is not a good idea.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I guess it depends on how much you value your time. I would say buying your skis and poles if you ski more than three to five times per year is better. Regardless of how often you ski, you should buy a pair of well-fitted boots from a good boot-fitter.
Eh, I think if you go 3x a year or less I am not even sure boots are worth it unless your feet are in pain. We are talking very recreational skiers at that number per year. But yeah, if you go more than 3-5x then it makes a little more sense.

And then if it's children whose feet are growing, then it really doesn't make it worth it at 3x per year.

But I suppose if you have lots of money and you're not concerned about being fiscally efficient, well sure, then I suppose buying the equipment (and the ski condo) could be the way to go

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Eh, I think if you go 3x a year or less I am not even sure boots are worth it unless your feet are in pain. We are talking very recreational skiers at that number per year. But yeah, if you go more than 3-5x then it makes a little more sense.

And then if it's children whose feet are growing, then it really doesn't make it worth it at 3x per year.

But I suppose if you have lots of money and you're not concerned about being fiscally efficient, well sure, then I suppose buying the equipment (and the ski condo) could be the way to go
True, if your feet are still growing, then 5x per year isn't worth the cost for well fitting boots, unless you're wealthy. On the other hand, maybe if you have well-fitted boots, the skiing will be better and you will end up going more often.

Last edited:

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
At 3 x a year, I think it is worth decent used gear. If the choice is rental boots vs. gently used, I'd go for the gently used any day. Saves $$ over time, you can get a better fit, and no time wasted in rental lines both before and after you hit the slopes. For growing kids, gently used or season rental is about the same price, and also about the same price as renting on hill 3 times. Again, I'd go with the no line option. Also, at smaller hills rental boots are often unisex, and not as good of a fit for women.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Son's GF is a new skier, and we bought her the Pure Joys this season. She used them only twice before the closure, but she liked them a lot.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I guess it depends on how much you value your time. I would say buying your skis and poles if you ski more than three to five times per year is better. Regardless of how often you ski, you should buy a pair of well-fitted boots from a good boot-fitter.

Agreed. Virtually all decsions that I make are based on quality of life these days.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
no that in she is my recreational wife, while I also maintain another, "pro" level wife.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I am sooo stealing this!:ogbiggrin:

BTW My "pro" level wife is also on some kind of Joys, sorry could not remember which ones, but they are white and she loves them.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
You ought to try recreational sex and recreational drugs. Way more fun than a recreational wife.

Been there. Done that. Got that tee-shirt. Starting with Military service in Asia immediately following Vietnam.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

Really going off topic here... apprehensive about posting a pic, because.... it is weird.

Us with our dinner. Lucky to be married to a 59 year old hard body.

LB, MG GD.jpg

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ Ummmm.........I think this should be labelled NSFW!
I think I know what that is -- but I'm not enthused about eating it after that pic!