• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking for some skis for spring and icy conditions. Like my cham97's for all round conditions and powder but they leave a lot to e desired when its icy. Need a good groomer ski that likes some ice. Mornings like this weekend we started at at -15c and were right around freezing by lunch. Had a freeze thaw cycle all week. Happens around here quite a bit this time of year. Seeing spring ski blowouts should be happening soon it might be time to look for some skis. Any recommendations. Not in love with rossi experience skis.I weigh about 185lbs, 58 yrs old and use them as a patrol ski so they will take a beating use a ski in the 178 size range. If it makes any difference will be using them here in BC.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
do you want something better on the firm, but can still handle spring corn/slush? or do you want something that it just good on firm?

TS
kayco53

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
do you want something better on the firm, but can still handle spring corn/slush? or do you want something that it just good on firm?
Would like it better on the icy packed groomers but still decent off piste crud.Thanks

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not a ski that gets a lot of love here but I’d take a look at the Elan Amphibio XTI 84. There are an excellent working ski. Laced with titanium and super damp but you don’t have to work them too hard . They handle a variety of turn shapes with ease. I’m often on mine for 8-10 hours a day with zero issues.
They tackle refrozen, hard-pack, slush, crud and 6”-8” of fresh just fine. They are ok in the bumps but not super forgiving. I still prefer my non-metal skis for that.
I'm guessing there are a few deals to be had on this model too.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Tough ask here with slush and ice being the two opposite extremes of the ski surface spectrum. Water skis work best on slush and ice skates work best on ice.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looking for some skis for spring and icy conditions. Like my cham97's for all round conditions and powder but they leave a lot to e desired when its icy. Need a good groomer ski that likes some ice. Mornings like this weekend we started at at -15c and were right around freezing by lunch. Had a freeze thaw cycle all week. Happens around here quite a bit this time of year. Seeing spring ski blowouts should be happening soon it might be time to look for some skis. Any recommendations. Not in love with rossi experience skis.I weigh about 185lbs, 58 yrs old and use them as a patrol ski so they will take a beating use a ski in the 178 size range. If it makes any difference will be using them here in BC.

I skied my Rossi Pursuit 700's all last winter in firm, icy conditions, in a few inches of new snow, and in the spring is a couple inches of mush. The behaved the same in all conditions - very very well. I was most surprised as they are billed as a carving ski. Much more versatile than that. I think you will be impressed. Give them a try if you can. I skied the 177.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There’s a pair of Stockli Laser AX in 175 for a good price on this forum. Just sayin.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Firm and slush are 2 different types of ski for me. I like a narrow ski for ice and a fat ski for slush. Around March I switch to a 90ish underfoot ski that can handle firm conditions in the am and soft snow in the afternoon. In April I ski bring out the 98-100 underfoot skis.

A good balance/happy medium might be something around 90 underfoot. My atomic vantage 90ctis are my mixed condition ski.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Firm and slush are 2 different types of ski for me. I like a narrow ski for ice and a fat ski for slush. Around March I switch to a 90ish underfoot ski that can handle firm conditions in the am and soft snow in the afternoon. In April I ski bring out the 98-100 underfoot skis.

A good balance/happy medium might be something around 90 underfoot. My atomic vantage 90ctis are my mixed condition ski.

Not for me - narrow skis do just fine in daily slush if they are firm enough to not get deflected. Firm enough to not get deflected by slush and damp enough to not get rattled by frozen ruts and frozen coral - Redster X9 is my pick before anything amongst the Vantage series.

(Confession: R-X9, 86 TI and BC 100 are the only things from Atomic I really like(d))

For OP: try a Head Monster.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Narrow skis with DEEP structure are good if you're skiing fast. Still sink in to the boot deep slush at the bottom though..

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I just like something 90ish and fatter that holds an edge for those firm/slushie days. My SO who's an aggressive skier doesn't care for his Volkl RTM 81s/84s in slush. He really likes his Volkl 90Eights. Personal preference definitely but more ski makes all the difference in slush. If you can bring 2 pairs then that's awesome too. The head monster aficionados love their monsters that's for sure.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The new 90 TI and I don't get along in 3D terrain - it's either a surfy slashy ski with miniscule contact length or a carbon-feel (in the buzzy sense) light NASTAR ski, with very little warning of when the personality is about to change. I would be fine with the 93 Kore...but all those are way beyond anything OP asked for.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sort of depends on how much ice and how much slush. I ski into mid or late May most years and early June a few years. Once it gets so it doesn't freeze at night, the slush gets deeper and deeper and more difficult to deal with. The fact that I am almost 71 probably doesn't help.