• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PM sent!!!

Bring some to A-Basin..I will bring jig and period specific bindings..whatcha got?

Here are the remnants of my straight ski collection after a culling a couple years ago:

IMG_20180429_190533.jpg

Skis I'm willing to part with L-R and the little I know about them:
  • Dynastar Super Coupe Super X8 Racing, 200cm - Not sure what this is, but I think it's as stiffer X8 (see below).
  • Dynastar Type S Coupe XJ, 200cm - I recall hearing this is a special Japanese slalom and good ski. It has a Japanese instruction manual attached!
  • Dynastar Vertical Extreme 200cm - It looks similar, but not sure how this is related to the Vertical Assault that friends of mine used as bump skis.
  • Dynastar Super X8 195cm - I went through several pairs of X8's that was a softer version of the S9 slalom ski and worked well in the bumps. Super maybe means stiffer?
  • Dynastar X8 203cm - this is the only drilled and used ski up for grabs. Fun ski I used for all mountain and bumps. Not great shape, but still has camber. Drilled for 900s.
I'm keeping the F-17's that are beaten to hell. No edges and no camber, which is probably why I hated them when I skied them a couple years ago. I need to move the binding over the S9's that was a fantastic and very popular slalom ski I that was part of my quiver for a couple years. The S9 is going to be my one personal museum ski.

Bill has dibs on his choice of the first pair if he wants any for the museum. I love the idea of Phil mounting them to give pugskier the opportunity to ski some old straight boards at A-basin. I'm unlikely to make it up due to an injury, but could hand them off in Denver to someone passing through.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here are the remnants of my straight ski collection after a culling a couple years ago:

View attachment 45063

• Dynastar Super Coupe Super X8 Racing, 200cm - Not sure what this is, but I think it's as stiffer X8 (see below).
  • Dynastar Type S Coupe XJ, 200cm - I recall hearing this is a special Japanese slalom and good ski. It has a Japanese instruction manual attached!
  • Dynastar Vertical Extreme 200cm - It looks similar, but not sure how this is related to the Vertical Assault that friends of mine used as bump skis.
  • Dynastar Super X8 195cm - I went through several pairs of X8's that was a softer version of the S9 slalom ski and worked well in the bumps. Super maybe means stiffer?
  • Dynastar X8 203cm - this is the only drilled and used ski up for grabs. Fun ski I used for all mountain and bumps. Not great shape, but still has camber. Drilled for 900s.
I'm keeping the F-17's that are beaten to hell. No edges and no camber, which is probably why I hated them when I skied them a couple years ago. I need to move the binding over the S9's that was a fantastic and very popular slalom ski I that was part of my quiver for a couple years. The S9 is going to be my one personal museum ski.

Bill has dibs on his choice of the first pair if he wants any for the museum. I love the idea of Phil mounting them to give pugskier the opportunity to ski some old straight boards at A-basin. I'm unlikely to make it up due to an injury, but could hand them off in Denver to someone passing through.
The XJ looks like a Japanese ski, I don't recall a Coupe XJ here and the writing on the tag is in Japanese, I would be interested in which ski this was.

The Super X8, IIRC replaced the X9..which didn't sell nearly as well as the X*..so IIRC, they were capitalizing on the X* momentum.

I would prefer the S9 and/or Vertical Extreme, both I have matching bindings for :). I would be happy to take whatever Bill does not want and what I don't use, I will make sure they get into the proper hands at Dynastar or with the Dynastar rep.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier

View attachment 45063

Awesome pic... Blast from the past!
I had a pair of those X8s (3rd from right) in 200cm, and loved them in the bumps. Used to run up to Mt Hood Skibowl after classes and bash bumps under the lights. Thought I was getting pretty good until I watched some guy ripping a zipper in the bumps at around 40 mph, then throw a YUUUGGGGGE 360 and ski away like nothing happened.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The XJ looks like a Japanese ski, I don't recall a Coupe XJ here and the writing on the tag is in Japanese, I would be interested in which ski this was.

The Super X8, IIRC replaced the X9..which didn't sell nearly as well as the X*..so IIRC, they were capitalizing on the X* momentum.

I would prefer the S9 and/or Vertical Extreme, both I have matching bindings for :). I would be happy to take whatever Bill does not want and what I don't use, I will make sure they get into the proper hands at Dynastar or with the Dynastar rep.

I've got to keep the S9. I loved that ski as it was the first ski I actually felt something like carving when the edge hooked up. It's kinda cool how I still have a strong memory of the feeling of that ski on groomers, or at least I think I do. I really want to mount it up and see if I can reproduce and see how it compares to today's skis.

I've got a bad taste in my mouth about straight skis from when I skied those F-17 a couple years ago. I think that experience was marred by those skis being beaten to hell. I'm hoping those S9's can clear my palate. I also have visions of making our kiddos try to ski them someday. :D

So, you and @Bill Talbot both have eyes on some of the same skis. Would you gentleman mind working out a fair division? Then I'll get you the skis!

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Only 5 of those? Lol. Perhaps I should take the P-20's out soon...

Yes, I would encourage you to respect our sports roots and get them out at least one morning a season for a handful of runs in appropriate
snow conditions... :) :wag:

James

Out There
Instructor
So... Let's see, you've elected to give away half a dozen pairs of brand new skis because...they slay you? ( quoting Ralph Kramden) But, are looking to buy a cheap new ski. The free ones are too expensive?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So... Let's see, you've elected to give away half a dozen pairs of brand new skis because...they slay you? ( quoting Ralph Kramden) But, are looking to buy a cheap new ski. The free ones are too expensive?
But think of the attorney's fees I'm saving. I'm pretty sure someone would call Social Services on me if I was trying to demonstrate carving to our kiddos on those old straight boards, as they rightly should! :)

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
But think of the attorney's fees I'm saving. I'm pretty sure someone would call Social Services on me if I was trying to demonstrate carving to our kiddos on those old straight boards, as they rightly should! :)
Nah, think of the skills they'd have were they to learn carving on old, straight boards? They might grow up to be Alice McKennis!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a pair of 1970 VR17 Slaloms in a 207, with Look Nevada Grand Prix on them!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I still have my 203 Firebird Thermo RS’s, 205 Thermo RS’s and 200 Blue Atomic SL’s. Of the 3 my favorite is the Firebirds.

My wife had a set of the V20’s though not a race set, and my feeling on those was that at that point Blizzard lost its way for a while, even the race versions I looked at didn’t feel right IMHO. Flex patterns felt wrong

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
How old are you folks? I had a quiver of 2 from the later 70's through the 80's. (till I had some money for more than that!) And I was a Rossi guy, so that meant a SL ski, 200 or 203cm and the very needed bump ski in a 180 or 185cm. Life was good and skiing was fun (kinda like now!) Yes by comparison to skis made from say 2000 on, they are more work and require more technique (and practice) to get things done but I think most of you just forget what they did well too. I go back and forth on the same day and honestly like them both, for different reasons.

I encourage those who were schooled on them at least in the 80's and 90's to give them a try again. It's very interesting...really.

Current instructors (that means you @James ) what is the current plan if a student shows up on say some early 90's 'straights' and want a lesson? Will the staff send someone out on the proper gear and show him how it's done? If not, why not?

And also would like for someone like @Josh Matta who skis mega days and started skiing in the shaped era to get on some quality old boards and see what's what. I would find the feedback interesting :)

I do this every year. Tomorrow in fact! Stay tuned...

:daffy:

I actually still have a Wilson T2000 and a Donnay Borg Pro, along with too many straight skis, Persimmon Woods, cane fishing poles and a shovel that doubles as a chalkboard.
As much as I liked some of the old straights, the current skis are so much less demanding and easier for everyone that there's no reason to go back, IMO.

Reasons to go back: Nostalgia, bragging rights, nostalgia, chicks love big sticks.

:beercheer:

I have a pair of 1970 VR17 Slaloms in a 207, with Look Nevada Grand Prix on them!

Are you bragging or offering? :huh:

;)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My verticals are mounted and skied. I got them when they were current.

20160310_105813.jpg
20160309_213142.jpg
20160309_213119.jpg

I also have the sister skis to these, the Altiplume, along with some other Dynastars. These have also been skied lately. I need to get out on the X9s which are recent (this millennium) additions.

20160428_105138.jpg

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online