• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Skier Ski Recommendation

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Hey All..I don't know that much about the various skis that are available out there and a friend has asked about what would be a good ski for her. She's new to skiing although a pretty fair snowboarder. I suspect she'll move into intermediate fairly quickly and she's fairly strong and big, 150 or 160lbs. Any recommendations? East coast ski..hard-pack. Is there a clear, good ski for this type of skier? I suspect high 70, low 80 width. Thanks all!

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stop in at Corbetts in Oakville and chat with the staff there.

~ Andy

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Something that has some rise in the tip and tail for eary initiation and release bit still camber underfoot for connection to the snow. I like @Jilly's suggestion of the Dynastar Glory. Whatever ski it is, will be a one, maybe two year ski. And of course, get her set up with boots, thats where the investment will be and expain to her that unlike her snowboard boot, this boot will actually touch her foot because that is where the control will come from.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Thanks for the replies guys. Phil, she already got new boots as she has very strong calves and needed a proper fitting to get something functional and comfortable. So she's most of the way there I think. The ski is probably less important than finding good boots in her case. I liked the Dynastar Glory to be honest..the 84 or the 79. Probably the 84 because I suspect she'll learn quickly as she's quite athletic.