• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Skier - DO's

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When my kids had seasonal rentals I marked the skis with electrical tape on the topsheet towards the tip. Make a black diamond, x, or your initial. It didn't' always help because once another kid swapped their skis for my kid's. We noticed this when he kept releasing from the binding. Went down to search for his skis and his correct skis had magically appeared again!

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
As a new skier or rider, begin with the end in mind, visualize having fun on the slopes. Once you get past the lessons, poor equipment and clothing skiing and riding is a lot of fun. Remember to take a look around, smell the balsams (or other fragrant evergreen) and be in the moment. Skiing is about fun and being in nature during the winter, new skier or not remember to enjoy where you are, who you are with and what you are doing.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Not too thick. All the same thickness. Don't get obsessed about ski socks. That's for later.

I would say that 3 - 5 pair of ski socks should be the first purchase. Then buy boots. Boots / socks are a system. If you have random socks, then your boots will fit slightly different every day.

In teaching 5 days per week I have 5 of the same pair (Point 6). There is never a question as to how my boots will feel that day / how warm my feet will be. It is one of my constants that I never have to think about.

SierraLuLu

Booting up
Skier
This has been said before, but always wear a helmet! You can usually rent one for $10 at any shop and they can sell for under $100 new. It doesn’t matter whether you think you’ll be doing anything crazy - those easy green slopes are obstacle courses of bad skiers and someone can easily run into you or visa versa. It’s best to keep safe. Plus they’re very warm so you won’t need a hat on the slope.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Gawd, not the helmet thing again...!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This has been said before, but always wear a helmet! You can usually rent one for $10 at any shop and they can sell for under $100 new. It doesn’t matter whether you think you’ll be doing anything crazy - those easy green slopes are obstacle courses of bad skiers and someone can easily run into you or visa versa. It’s best to keep safe. Plus they’re very warm so you won’t need a hat on the slope.
:beercheer:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

^^ This. Good advice.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Don't wear a red of grey jacket.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Notice for new skiers reading here:
The reference to red and gray jackets is an insider joke. As is the helmet thread comment.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Notice for new skiers reading here:
The reference to red and gray jackets is an insider joke. As is the helmet thread comment.

Those who knows, knows. Those who don't knows, don't knows, and it don't really matter anyhow. All this earnestness and no snow to slide on... what are we to do... other than talk about helmets?
:golfclap:

(Yes, wear one. It's easier to regulate one's temperature. Your temperament may vary.)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
This may have been said before, but...
Properly fitted boots are just as crucial for learners as they are for old-timers. Old-timers know the value of properly fitted boots and spend the money on a good boot fitter. Beginners too often end up in too-big boots or painful boots that impair their learning and their enjoyment of the sport. Many out of the box boots will require the services of a good boot fitter, and subsequent tweaks after skiing a bit to make them fit properly. Just because you are a new skier doesn't mean you have easier to fit feet than expert skiers.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This may have been said before, but...
Properly fitted boots are just as crucial for learners as they are for old-timers. Old-timers know the value of properly fitted boots and spend the money on a good boot fitter. Beginners too often end up in too-big boots or painful boots that impair their learning and their enjoyment of the sport. Many out of the box boots will require the services of a good boot fitter, and subsequent tweaks after skiing a bit to make them fit properly. Just because you are a new skier doesn't mean you have easier to fit feet than expert skiers.
It may have been said before but it can not be said enough and it go for veteran skiers as well. :)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
DO dress appropriately for the weather and wear layers. DON'T put yourself or children in so many layers that you roll down the hill if you fall and/or sweat profusely. I did this when I was a kid on a church ski trip.

Sponsor