• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
My wife got some new skis so it is time to drink some bourbon - I mean prep her skis! ogsmile

This is not my first time prepping new skis so not looking for step by step - actually more curious on the waxing prep portion. Curious if I am overdoing it? Once cleaned and brushed and ready to go - I usually put 3-5 series of base prep (SBC - really soft) wax. Then I will do hard wax layer (Purl Blue). Then I would do my WOTD (Purl Purple). Purl purple seems to work well for us in most all conditions and allows me to keep waxing somewhat simple.

Is that too much of the soft wax cycles ? What do others do?

Thanks in advance!

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just waxing and prepping your skis has you way ahead of most.

I’m far less detailed than you, and just use pretty basic waxes for cold and warm conditions. I typically just wax with the warmer conditions wax first, then the colder condition one, and that’s it (except game day!!).

If I’ve got good glide I’m happy, and that gives me good glide.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife got some new skis so it is time to drink some bourbon - I mean prep her skis! ogsmile

This is not my first time prepping new skis so not looking for step by step - actually more curious on the waxing prep portion. Curious if I am overdoing it? Once cleaned and brushed and ready to go - I usually put 3-5 series of base prep (SBC - really soft) wax. Then I will do hard wax layer (Purl Blue). Then I would do my WOTD (Purl Purple). Purl purple seems to work well for us in most all conditions and allows me to keep waxing somewhat simple.

Thanks in advance!
Sounds about right.

Make sure to clean the base well with wax cleaner and then hot scrape it a couple of times, before the first layer, to remove all the manufacturing gunk and transport wax. That's the only time I would use wax cleaner on a ski - that and after base grinding.

Hot box them if you have one, if not, just remelt couple times.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Prepping for the season I used Dominator Renew Graphite and did 3 wax and scrape hot to clean the bases passes. Then put on a layer of the Renew which I'll scrape and brush soon. Will do a second time of this to fully impregnate the skis for the season.

Finally before skiing will hot wax with Graphite Zoom, scrape and brush and then SKI!!!!!

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

Thanks in advance!

That sounds good to me. Have you ever tried Dominator's Base-Renew wax for base prep.?

Jacques

Skier
You guys are OCD. I just make sure I've got the right temperature wax for the majority of the next days snow temperature, brand new skis or not; I'm not racing anyone.

Don't forget to brush!

No OCD. It is super important to start base preparation with the softest wax you can get.
Softer wax has smaller molecules. Those go the deepest. Then the hard waxes have something to get a hold of so they don't just sluff off and you get a burned base!.

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
That sounds good to me. Have you ever tried Dominator's Base-Renew wax for base prep.?

Hey Jacques - was expecting you to chime in . I alternate between Dominatie and SBC. Happen to have a stash of SBC now. Both great.

Jacques

Skier
Hey Jacques - was expecting you to chime in . I alternate between Dominatie and SBC. Happen to have a stash of SBC now. Both great.

Cool. I never tried the RaceService SBC waxes. Seems to be the right stuff. My hunch is it is a "yellow" wax. The Base Renew is even softer than a "yellow".
I like the Dominator Base-Renew because it also has a super hard wax in it. By nature, the portion will remain at the surface.

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Cool. I never tried the RaceService SBC waxes. Seems to be the right stuff. My hunch is it is a "yellow" wax. The Base Renew is even softer than a "yellow".
I like the Dominator Base-Renew because it also has a super hard wax in it. By nature, the portion will remain at the surface.

Agreed - which is why I go back with another layer of hard wax when I use SBC.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That's interesting....

It used to be a selling point of a bunch of brands of prep wax - the (marketing?) idea was that soft wax would penetrate the base whilst the hard wax stayed on surface to be scraped off.

The idea was that base hairs would float up off the base into the molten hard wax (because the hard wax is denser than the base) and then be exposed at the root to the sharp snap of your scraper when the hard wax sets.

In other words, the same concept that 17 million shaving razor/cream adverts have used in cartoon form.