• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New ski Pants recommendations

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought it was such an interesting story because I had no idea how much work they've done behind the scenes, and how it's spread out to bigger companies that don't necessarily put in a lot of effort on environmental stuff but are happy enough to follow along.

I've definitely been impressed with how much they listen to customer contacts. Recycled rPET started with them, as did responsible down sourcing, and disclosure of factory partners - which are now all the status quo in the outdoor space. I spent a lot of time during commutes working on a passion project researching silver salt based anti-microbials for odor control, and there's potential that could have a small impact contributing to antimicrobial resistance. After reaching out to Polygiene and Silvadur partners, the vast, vast majority have no interest in re-evaluating partnerships and sent the same text lifted from supplier fact sheets. Patagonia had already swapped into HeiQ Fresh (which alters sweat that would feed bacteria) for their fall/winter line that just launched. It doesn't matter that the impact is small or that silver-salt treatments both have Bluesign certification. If they catch wind that there's a better way to do things, they pursue it. I'm eager to see what they come up with to fix microplastics that leech from synthetic apparel and how to fix the PFC problems with commercial-grade DWR.

That being said, I can see why other companies are followers. Patagonia has a venture capital fund where they make investments in sustainable manufacturers. Like, for nylon, they fund a company that recycles fishing nets into nylon - one of the first recycling options that doesn't start with fabric yardage. It's easy to get early access when you underwrite the company. They did the same with Yerdle, which is the web platform that Worn Wear, REI Used, and Arcteryx Rock Solid Gear are built on. Everyone else has to get in line.

I'm just so impressed that the gambles they took in the 90s were so incredibly right, and weathered the fast fashion phase. They are so perfectly positioned to connect with the Gen Z consumer - who will make up 40% of consumers by 2020 - based on a strategy they built when few of us were even born.

(Also, yeah, thread drift. If anyone wants to splice us into a sustainable softgoods thread starting with the recycled poly question, I'm on board).

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep going @Analisa ......whether it’s in this thread or a sustainable softgoods thread.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Anyone had any experience -- good or bad -- with the 686 brand?

Yes - the shell/liner pant system is an excellent idea and quite warm.

Herself has 3 pairs in the rotation, and has used them down to -10F actual. Edit: she says the fit is good but generous, meaning she doesn't like them for touring (think Whitegrass).

Last edited: