• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Ski Help

nofluca1212

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello All:

I am reaching out for some help as candidly, everyone here knows more about this stuff than I do.

I am strong skier, 6'2, 225lbs+. I patrol in the Northeast on Bonafides and tend to ski with Nordica Enforcer 100s when I am not patrolling. Days not patrolling are typically spent with my 5 year old son and therefore I very rarely ski the way I normally enjoy skiing.

I am looking to add a ski to my quiver that checks the following boxes (perhaps I am asking for too much here)

Slightly wider - I'd like something that would be great out West both on/off piste or in Northeast Bumps/Glades when there is snow.
Easier/More Playful - something less demanding than the Bones or Enforcers. Something lighter and less directional.
Decent on Groomers - Will be spending most of the time on Groomers at this stage with my son so want something that can actually perform on Northeast Groomers.
Relatively Damp - Not expecting the dampness of the Bones/Enforcers but want something that can handle my weight.

I would like to get on a pair of Fischer Ranger FR 102s. I am looking for some options to compare. Open to any brand.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello All:

I am reaching out for some help as candidly, everyone here knows more about this stuff than I do.

I am strong skier, 6'2, 225lbs+. I patrol in the Northeast on Bonafides and tend to ski with Nordica Enforcer 100s when I am not patrolling. Days not patrolling are typically spent with my 5 year old son and therefore I very rarely ski the way I normally enjoy skiing.

I am looking to add a ski to my quiver that checks the following boxes (perhaps I am asking for too much here)

Slightly wider - I'd like something that would be great out West both on/off piste or in Northeast Bumps/Glades when there is snow.
Easier/More Playful - something less demanding than the Bones or Enforcers. Something lighter and less directional.
Decent on Groomers - Will be spending most of the time on Groomers at this stage with my son so want something that can actually perform on Northeast Groomers.
Relatively Damp - Not expecting the dampness of the Bones/Enforcers but want something that can handle my weight.

I would like to get on a pair of Fischer Ranger FR 102s. I am looking for some options to compare. Open to any brand.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Fischer Ranger 102, you nailed it!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fischer Ranger 102, you nailed it!

I love Fischer Skis and I think the 102 checks all his boxes, but wasn’t sure about the “Easier/More Playful” part. I guess it’s a matter of comparison to the Bonafides and 100s and it is compared to them. I’ve never skied the Mindbender 108 but that suggestion is coming from someone.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I love Fischer Skis and I think the 102 checks all his boxes, but wasn’t sure about the “Easier/More Playful” part. I guess it’s a matter of comparison to the Bonafides and 100s and it is compared to them. I’ve never skied the Mindbender 108 but that suggestion is coming from someone.

The Ranger 102s won't be super playful but they are certainly closer to that than the Bonafide is. The Ranger's have never let me down in any condition. I have skied on them pretty much daily for the last three seasons. Never felt they were too narrow for anything and even skied them after getting over five feet of snow in two days in Mammoth. 100% recommend them!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Ranger 102s won't be super playful but they are certainly closer to that than the Bonafide is. The Ranger's have never let me down in any condition. I have skied on them pretty much daily for the last three seasons. Never felt they were too narrow for anything and even skied them after getting over five feet of snow in two days in Mammoth. 100% recommend them!

I keep considering picking up a pair for my trips west. I’m from the world of hard snow unless I travel so the Pro Mt 86 is my daily ski out here.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I keep considering picking up a pair for my trips west. I’m from the world of hard snow unless I travel so the Pro Mt 86 is my daily ski out here.

Fischer makes amazing quality products no matter what you get from them.

TS
N

nofluca1212

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for the feedback so far...I’ll check out the Mindbender for sure, keep the recommendations coming please.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Fisher 102FR is stiffer than most twin tips out there but it’s lighter than either the Bonafide or Enforcer and it’s fairly playful when the mount is moved forward from the very far back(for a free ride ski) factory mount. Fantastic daily driver.

The other one you’d probably love as you like the Enforcer 100 is the Enforcer 104 Free. With it’s lighter swing weight and increased tail rocker, it’s like a more playful 100. Like the Fisher 102, moving the mount up a bit makes it even more fun to pivot in tight spaces. The Enforcer 104 has a softer flex than the Fisher 102 so it’s a little more forgiving but with the E104 heavier weight, it’s more stable through rough terrain. Fisher 102 FR more precise and lively, Enforcer 104 more damp and easy.

Mindbender 108Ti has the best float of the group and kinda in between the 2 above in feel. More weight than the Fisher but lighter than the E104 but pretty forgiving to ski like the E104. Again a more traditional mount that many move up a bit to make more playful like the other 2.

All 3 are great skis and all deserve a demo. Play with the mounts when you do too.

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I am by no means an expert but two skis I am very excited about that would seem to do what you are looking for are the forthcoming Salomon Stance 102 and Rossignol Black Ops Sender Ti 106.

I will be in the market for something 100-110 underfoot to pair with my Liberty Evolv90 for much the same type of thing as you, although mine will be for use in the West. These two are definitely on my radar, as is the Fischer 102 FR and Liberty Origin 106.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I have mine right on the line. I know people that mount the 102s forward but I wouldn’t do it. If I lived out West and expected to ski deeper snow more often I’d go behind the line. I found the 102 to be very playful, especially in the 177 even though I got the 184. Since the OP has 2” and 25lbs on me, I’d recommend the 184.

Sponsor

Staff online