• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New ski help Enforcer 93 vs Brahma vs Vantage 90CTI

Which ski would you like to own?

• Atomic Vantage 90 CTI 2017

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Blizzard Brahma 2018

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Nordica Enforcer 93

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

Keith H

Booting up
Skier
I'm looking to get a new set for this upcoming season. I've skied Atomics most of my adult life and like the way they hold on the East coast snow/ice, but the Smoke Ti(s) are getting long in the tooth and I thought I'd upgrade. So, reading all kinds of reviews and talking with more knowledgeable people these are the 3 skis I'm looking at (Vantage 90CTI, Brahma 2018, Enforcer 93). I'm 53, 210 lbs, and an advanced skier, (so you know), go all over the mountain though probably 70-80% is on piste.

Just looking for another educated opinion...:)

Thanks, Keith

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
70-80% on piste.....Is that because of desire, lack or terrain or the Smokes not being the weapon of choice for venturing off piste?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Where do you ski in the East? Might help us get a feel for the recommendations. The more you can share, the more targeted and rifled the recommendations will be.

Length of your Smokes?

What works for some of us might not work best for you. I have many friends who went to the all mountain 80-90mm slot, in the East,and based on where they prefer to ski and actually do, have gone back to a narrower waist.

I ski about 60 days a season in the East, and in all reality, very few are anything close to "powder." And when it hits, it gets skied off and cruddy very fast. I sneak in the trees {as I have for decades} when the snow is really "right", so not that often. Hard, big bumps, with poor shape and lousy lines do not excite me.

So.....at home in the East, a huge majority of my skiing is on long groomed cruisers, which dictates my person ski choices.

We'll give you some ideas. Welcome to PugSki!!

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Keith,

I own the Enforcer and skied the Brahma 2016 model. Never skied the Atomics. The Enforcers are a stiff ski. They hold well on everything but boilerplate. I tend to wander off the groomed trails out west and they are very good for that. For 80% on piste I would would have a look at the navigator 90. It has gotten really good reviews and many reviewers raved about their versatility. I love the enforcers but I have 50+ lbs on you. If you like a stiff ski, they may be the ticket as well. Happy hunting.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
For what it is worth, here are Gear Institutes grading of the three - not reviews for this years model but it should not be that different. Overall, the Brahma wins on paper but it needs to be driven. A friend of mine who is lighter felt he had to charge hard to make them perform - then again he is a lighter skier. I had the Atomic Vantage 85 (1st generation) and I liked it overall and felt that is skied anything I threw at it. That version was more like a twin tip and handles great in the trees. It looks like the Enforcer has the greatest amount of rocker in the tail which will make it more surfy in powder conditions. Overall they are dimensionally similar outside of a few mm

http://www.gearinstitute.com/gear-tests/item/atomic-vantage-90-cti-ski-test-2016

http://www.gearinstitute.com/skiing/item/nordica-enforcer-93-ski-review-2017

http://www.gearinstitute.com/skiing/skis/item/blizzard-brahma-ski-test-2016

Have you considered Rossignol Experience 88 or even 100? I have demoed the 88 and they carve like a dream.

http://www.gearinstitute.com/skiing/item/rossignol-experience-88-hd-2017?category_id=888

http://www.gearinstitute.com/skiing/item/rossignol-experience-100-hd-ski-review-2017

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
- not reviews for this years model but it should not be that different.

Have you considered Rossignol Experience 88 or even 100? I have demoed the 88 and they carve like a dream.

The Brahma IS different for this season. More side cut, different tip/rocker profile.

The E-88 is a thought, but the 100 is a different critter.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Not much to add over the gear institute review for the 90CTi. Very good edge hold - I run a 3/1 bevel that I believe is a little sharper than it comes stock. I'm 58, 200 #, and I ski Utah/Wyoming/Colorado resorts in a roughly similar manner (~80% on piste). It seems to favor a finesse rather than a bomber approach, a very good one ski quiver out West. I don't think the other two skis would be a bad choice - it sounds like you've done your homework.

From what I've heard, the Vantage 85 and 95 don't have the metal layer like the 90CTi, and ski quite differently.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For what it is worth, here are Gear Institutes grading of the three - not reviews for this years model but it should not be that different. Overall, the Brahma wins on paper but it needs to be driven. A friend of mine who is lighter felt he had to charge hard to make them perform - then again he is a lighter skier. I had the Atomic Vantage 85 (1st generation) and I liked it overall and felt that is skied anything I threw at it. That version was more like a twin tip and handles great in the trees. It looks like the Enforcer has the greatest amount of rocker in the tail which will make it more surfy in powder conditions. Overall they are dimensionally similar outside of a few mm

http://www.gearinstitute.com/gear-tests/item/atomic-vantage-90-cti-ski-test-2016

http://www.gearinstitute.com/skiing/item/nordica-enforcer-93-ski-review-2017

http://www.gearinstitute.com/skiing/skis/item/blizzard-brahma-ski-test-2016

Actually...the Vantage and Blizzard are updated for this season.

Hers is the Atomic:
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/2018-atomic.4337/

Here is the Blizzard:
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/2018-blizzard.4336/

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
What exactly is new about the Vantage 90 cti? The description says "carryover" but one reviewer says there's "new construction." In comparing descriptions of the 2017 and 2018 models on Evo, they look the same except that everything on the 2018 model is labelled "2.0". :nono:
(Memo to Atomic: If you label anything but computer software "version 2.0" know that the world is rolling its eyes at you and saying "Shhhhhh. No.")
I ask because I just bought a discounted pair of 2017s because I didn't see significant difference between the two. Just curious. Doesn't matter to me either way; I'm probably not a good enough skier to notice subtle updates anyway.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What exactly is new about the Vantage 90 cti? The description says "carryover" but one reviewer says there's "new construction." In comparing descriptions of the 2017 and 2018 models on Evo, they look the same except that everything on the 2018 model is labelled "2.0". :nono:
(Memo to Atomic: If you label anything but computer software "version 2.0" know that the world is rolling its eyes at you and saying "Shhhhhh. No.")
I ask because I just bought a discounted pair of 2017s because I didn't see significant difference between the two. Just curious. Doesn't matter to me either way; I'm probably not a good enough skier to notice subtle updates anyway.
Construction changed for 2018, a bit mroe dampening and not as nervous. Mold (shape) is the same.

TS
K

Keith H

Booting up
Skier
70-80% on piste.....Is that because of desire, lack or terrain or the Smokes not being the weapon of choice for venturing off piste?
Not so much desire, lack of opportunity skiing with my kids....lol

Length of my smokes 173, got a great price back then and that's all that was left length wise. I'd probably be looking at 184 or something in that range.

As far as where I ski, Western NY has Holiday Valley and then take trips to Vermont and go to Stowe, Sugarbush, Killington, and others including my personal favorites Smugglers Notch and Okemo.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not so much desire, lack of opportunity skiing with my kids....lol

Length of my smokes 173, got a great price back then and that's all that was left length wise.

As far as where I ski, Western NY has Holiday Valley and then take trips to Vermont and go to Stowe, Sugarbush, Killington, and others including my personal favorite Smugglers Notch.
If thats the case...
  1. Vantage
  2. Enforcer
  3. Brahma

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Atomic Vantage 90 CTI is hair-raising fun but yet a calm, confident companion. It was one of my favorites from the SIA on-snow test last year. I'm a six pack heavier than you and found the 184 exhilarating.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I did not like the previous 90CTi's at all. Too "carbony" feeling and somewhat one dimensional. It seems the new one is way different so I would check it out. I would also consider the Head Monster 88. I absolutely loved them in Vail and BC last winter. Enough that I bought a pair. They feel quite smooth and more like a "premium" ski. They were fun, for me, all over the mountain and pretty easy to ski. They certainly make chopped up snow feel smoother which is nice at the end of the day at a resort. They seem to always maintain a nice connection to the snow no matter what. For the east I would not rule out something even narrower although the Monster 88's have plenty of hold on firm snow.

TS
K

Keith H

Booting up
Skier
Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions and knowledge.

Philpug that's kind of where I was leaning on choices at the moment. All are good skis so I really don't think there's a wrong choice.

The Atomic Vantage 90 CTI is hair-raising fun but yet a calm, confident companion. It was one of my favorites from the SIA on-snow test last year. I'm a six pack heavier than you and found the 184 exhilarating.
Dahtguy Kevin, by the end of Oktoberfest I may see that six pack and add another..:beercheer:

Ken_R I'll look into the Monsters as well.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What exactly is new about the Vantage 90 cti.

What I read on Realskiers is the core changed from maple to poplar, which is a bit lighter, stiffer, and damper.

They USUALLY get things right.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@Keith H, thanks for getting back to us with that information.

Not surprisingly, I'd rate your three choices the same way that Phil does: Vantage, Enforcer, Brahma.

I own the Enforcer, I have owned the Brahma on the previous two generations {do not any more}, and have all of one half day on the latest....which is a much more user friendly ski. It still has a relatively narrow sweet spot. And it still skis "best" with a good amount of speed.

I may have a different view of both the Enforcer 100 and 93 than some, I guess. Having logged many days on them, and on the flip core Blizz line, I find the Enforcer to be a lot for playful. It may be the layup, the tail, the tip taper, and the smaller radius. I find them a lot easier to ski slow, to smear and pivot as needed. They still ski form snow pretty well, but for me, would not be my first choice on Eastern hard snow. You need to get the skis out form underneath you, ski dynamically, get them well up on edge.....and pressure them. aka, "work" the ski.

Having skied the Vantage once, that ski seems to really "do it all" darn well. I would wager that you would like it more at a variety of speeds. You can make all sorts of turn shapes, and depending on how advanced your skiing is, you don't need to always be right on it. I feels to me like it will reward you if you ski it dynamically, and on the front of the boot, but I don't think it will punish you. Also did quite well in a lot of varied stuff for me. I think it could be a really good ski for you.

One mentioned that I'm not sure would be a good choice is the Monster88. That's my ski in that size, but I tend to is in fast, in big turns, and in older "leftover" eastern snow. Not real fresh, unless is basically crudded up, and not real hard. I prefer a more narrow ski, a Head i.speed for that, and actually ski it about 85% of the time. The Monster88 is being redesigned for this season, and is evidently more user friendly to appeal to a wider range of skiers. The new one might "work." Mine likes to be skied fast, with precision and power, and it is a very damp, solid ski. It feels glued to the snow. I love it. But "playful", no. Not sure if it would be my choice for skiing with the kids and friends. I ski it in a 184cm, and it "skis longer." Again, just one guy's opinion.

Familiar with everywhere that you ski, BTW. If you spent most of your time at Holiday Valley, and the VT trips were a once or twice a season thing, I might steer you narrower, towards more of a carver. Maybe one of the Head Suprshapes.....a Rally, maybe. But it sounds like you're set on a "all mountain" ski. Which is absolutely fine as there are so many good ones.

Demo a couple, if you can!

TS
K

Keith H

Booting up
Skier
@Keith H, thanks for getting back to us with that information.

Not surprisingly, I'd rate your three choices the same way that Phil does: Vantage, Enforcer, Brahma.

I may have a different view of both the Enforcer 100 and 93 than some, I guess. Having logged many days on them, and on the flip core Blizz line, I find the Enforcer to be a lot for playful. It may be the layup, the tail, the tip taper, and the smaller radius. I find them a lot easier to ski slow, to smear and pivot as needed. They still ski form snow pretty well, but for me, would not be my first choice on Eastern hard snow. You need to get the skis out form underneath you, ski dynamically, get them well up on edge.....and pressure them. aka, "work" the ski.

Having skied the Vantage once, that ski seems to really "do it all" darn well. I would wager that you would like it more at a variety of speeds. You can make all sorts of turn shapes, and depending on how advanced your skiing is, you don't need to always be right on it. I feels to me like it will reward you if you ski it dynamically, and on the front of the boot, but I don't think it will punish you. Also did quite well in a lot of varied stuff for me. I think it could be a really good ski for you.

Demo a couple, if you can!

Thanks Muleski, if I see you at the Gin Mill I by you one!

I find the Smokes definitely respond better to speed and on being edge and throwing them out wide. They are fun that way. If the Vantage responds to slower speeds when I'm with the kids it is the winner. I'm going to look at the Enforcer and Vantage this weekend.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Muleski, if I see you at the Gin Mill I by you one!

I find the Smokes definitely respond better to speed and on being edge and throwing them out wide. They are fun that way. If the Vantage responds to slower speeds when I'm with the kids it is the winner. I'm going to look at the Enforcer and Vantage this weekend.
Between the Vantage and Enforcer it is 1 and 1A...really neither is a bad option. Vantage has a slight edge on firmer conditions and the Enforcer, in mixed and off piste. Depends what you want.

Sponsor