• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New ski help Enforcer 93 vs Brahma vs Vantage 90CTI

Which ski would you like to own?

• Atomic Vantage 90 CTI 2017

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Blizzard Brahma 2018

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Nordica Enforcer 93

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What I read on Realskiers is the core changed from maple to poplar, which is a bit lighter, stiffer, and damper.

They USUALLY get things right.

Something I noticed with with realskiers is that the scores should really be taken with a grain of salt (and some tequila if you like). Totally depending on who and where and tune... I noticed that my daily driver xdrive 88 FS scored 90 last year and was a favourite. Year before it scored 82 or 83. Needless to say, ski only changed graphics from 2016 to 2017...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What exactly is new about the Vantage 90 cti? The description says "carryover" but one reviewer says there's "new construction." In comparing descriptions of the 2017 and 2018 models on Evo, they look the same except that everything on the 2018 model is labelled "2.0". :nono:
(Memo to Atomic: If you label anything but computer software "version 2.0" know that the world is rolling its eyes at you and saying "Shhhhhh. No.")
I ask because I just bought a discounted pair of 2017s because I didn't see significant difference between the two. Just curious. Doesn't matter to me either way; I'm probably not a good enough skier to notice subtle updates anyway.

I noticed that you made a post about the likeness between the Brahma CA and the Black Pearl 88 on SkiDiva.
If you're considering the Brahma, which is a fine choice, you should probably know that the CA version is not the same as the Black Pearl 88.
All of the in line models of Brahma have a different shape and construction than the Black Pearl 88
The similarity is in the SP versions -
The Blizzard Brahma Ca SP is the same shape as the Black Pearl 88 SP but the Black Pearl 88 SP still has the Lite Core (different wood) and WSD Flipcore, which has different integration of Carbon.
The W2W design is definitely different from anything on the men's side.

Last edited:

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
I noticed that you made a post about the likeness between the Brahma CA and the Black Pearl 88 on SkiDiva.
If you're considering the Brahma, which is a fine choice, you should probably know that the CA version is not the same as the Black Pearl 88.

Thanks for the clarification! I was basing my assumption on this comment:

Uncle-A: "What are they using to replace the metal, Carbon fiber of some type? Is there a weight limit on the CA? Would it be a good woman's ski?"

Philpug: "It would be a good woman's ski..if it was called the Black Pearl 88...Hmmm...Wait, there is Black Pearl 88...your request is granted."

(https://forum.pugski.com/threads/2018-blizzard.4336/#post-97165)

I'm curious about Blizzard's "Women's Specific Design." Does it make the skis lighter? What does the different shape accomplish? As a woman who is 5'8" and 170#, I find that, except for owning 2014 Sambas, I have all men's skis in the 170-177 length range, all mounted at the factory-recommended point (that is, not moved forward b/c I'm female). I don't usually go for women's skis because they are generally too short or I feel as though I "overpower" them. I felt that way about a pair of old Blizzard Bushwackers I had for a while, too, which were sort of a men's version of the BP. I assumed that's what they were doing with the Brahama CA. Thanks for all the info. Very interesting!

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
Something I noticed with with realskiers is that the scores should really be taken with a grain of salt (and some tequila if you like). Totally depending on who and where and tune... I noticed that my daily driver xdrive 88 FS scored 90 last year and was a favourite. Year before it scored 82 or 83. Needless to say, ski only changed graphics from 2016 to 2017...

I have to agree, For one they have some very strong opinions, some of which I do not agree. I also have seen some of the reviews that were totally out of line when comparing to other reviews. Not that the other review sights are perfect but Realskiers is not either. If you are looking at reviews, get a cross section of three or more to form a broader opinion and use a site like this to gather more information. Also, look at the specs, they tell a story also - turn radius, stiffness, dimensions/sidecut, materials, and other details.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@dlague, I would be willing to bet that down the road you might cut down on what sounds like a lot of energy spent chasing down online reviews....as PugSki is in the opinion of many, a pretty great source of information and ski/binding/boot reviews.

Here you have a lot of knowledge, a lot of real industry connections, people who will ski a given product for more days than any ski reviewer. And often a number of opinions that are not identical. No vested manufacturer influence.
Good stuff.

It's a big part of what Phil, Tricia and others have built this to do. Many knowledgeable contributors.

As I said, "good stuff!"

Just my $.02

Last edited:

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Keith H,

You've already gotten great input from those more expert than I am. If it helps, I ski Smuggler's Notch 1-2 weeks per year and used the Vantage 100CTI for a lot of my 2 weeks last year. I demo'd the 90 CTI and Brahma as well, so I thought I would chime in on differences, especially for use in Smugglers' Notch.

I found the Brahma was a great all-around ski, and perhaps a bit more stable than the Vantage ... I weigh 30+ lbs. less than you, but where I found the biggest difference was in the glades and trees. The Vantage was more than stable enough for me, but felt more nimble and quick in the tight spaces/quick turns. Candidly, other than getting used to the "carbony" sound of them, they simply "disappeared" under my feet for the most part and let me do whatever I was trying to do. I fought the Brahmas a bit more in the tight spaces and quick turns. $.02 cents more for the cause, for what it's worth!

TS
K

Keith H

Booting up
Skier
Thank you all!!

I did some shopping this weekend and found 2 out of 3 skis and the Vantage 100 CTI. When seeing these skis up close I found the Enforcer 93 and Vantage close to equal. Talking with very knowledgeable sales dude I decided to stay with my Atomic bias. I ordered through Level Nine and got a great deal on bindings as well. Honestly, I don't think there is a wrong choice between the Vantage and Enforcer really sweet skis.

Now...bring on the snow.

TS
K

Keith H

Booting up
Skier
Update:

Well as we end another ski season, I figured I'd throw in my opinion of the Atomic Vantage 90CTI that I skied on this winter. In general...holy sh*t these things are fantastic! I have never felt more comfortable in every type of condition that I came across, and at various speeds. The Atomic Nomad Smoke Ti(s) that I used the previous seasons (years) only felt comfortable at higher speeds, and as I age speed isn't as important as it once was (who am I kidding, Yes it IS!). The Smokes were responsive, but stiff if you weren't "on" them. The Vantage 90CTIs were everything I was looking for and a little more. The responsiveness in the glades was awesome, carving a delite! I can't say enough good about these skis. I let a friend borrow them for a couple of runs in VT at Stowe, he was skiing on DPS 100s (I forget the exact model) and was coming up with excuses to not give them back. Just a fun and stable ski!

Thanks to all of you who responded! I really appreciate this forum and your assistance!

Keith