• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New ski bases, wavy

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I mounted some bindings for a friend a month ago. Decided this last weekend to do a base wax and edge too. As I put my hand over the base, it felt very bumpy. Looked down it and looked like a nice hilly country road. Holy crap!

I'm hoping a good base grind will solve this, but I'm not too sure. Wish I would of noticed this before I mounted the by bindings. Probably would of told the friend to take them back. Still might.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
:useless:

Is the defect visible? Stones and belts can flatten some things, but not all. Are the edges straight and true?

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
:useless:

Is the defect visible? Stones and belts can flatten some things, but not all. Are the edges straight and true?

Not by the skis when I thought to post this. Will post later tonight.
The edges seem to be good.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This isn't the Shaggys is it?

I'm chronically curious about cases like this. My two ongoing notions are that either there is humidity ingress -or- the resin was nowhere near fully cured.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Dwight , when you take pictures, it may help to use a true bar or some other straight edge to illustrate the bumps as they may no reproduce well otherwise.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This isn't the Shaggys is it?

I'm chronically curious about cases like this. My two ongoing notions are that either there is humidity ingress -or- the resin was nowhere near fully cured.

Yes, good memory on latest ski pics. :)

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Doug Briggs , pics of base.

Main area is front 1/4 and tail 1/4. It's like the ski is bent at those spots, both skis. Even the metal edge.

Width wise the base is good.

20180911_185142.jpg
20180911_185204_Burst01.jpg
20180911_185243_Burst01.jpg
20180911_185455.jpg
20180911_185314.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I mounted some bindings for a friend a month ago. Decided this last weekend to do a base wax and edge too. As I put my hand over the base, it felt very bumpy. Looked down it and looked like a nice hilly country road. Holy crap!

I'm hoping a good base grind will solve this, but I'm not too sure. Wish I would of noticed this before I mounted the by bindings. Probably would of told the friend to take them back. Still might.

Contacted Shaggy's this morning and Jeff responded instantly.

The wavy area is by design. Some interesting tech, I guess.

"I think what you are seeing is our "camber pockets" molded within the overall camber of the skis. DO NOT TRY TO GRIND THIS OUT! They are an intentional design to subtlety increase contact pressure on hard snow at specific points along the edge.

I'm attaching a photo and graphic that show the camber pockets. If this is something else however, it is not normal and needs to be addressed"
Ahmeek_Camber-Rocker+Camber_Pockets.png
Ahmeek_Camber_Pockets.jpg

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So not bumps , but waves! The extra camber pockets are like Moment Deathwish's triple camber pockets. Sure would like to try them and see if it works

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So not bumps , but waves! The extra camber pockets are like Moment Deathwish's triple camber pockets. Sure would like to try them and see if it works

Bumps, as in rolling bumps. :) Not as in screw tip bumps. I see where my words were mixed. Sorry.

Camber pockets, is this something new in these smaller manufacturers? Haven't heard much about them or at least paid much attention to it.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Those camber pockets are great until you try to put them in a roof rack. Then they end up exactly in the wrong spots to lock down the clamps. I had to put my Deathwishes side by side.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I like the micro cambers of my Deathwishes a lot. So much so I got a backup pair. But thats more because the ski hits a sweet spot for me with its flex, mount point, and turn radius.

Didn't really have an issue putting them in a roof rack either. Although I guess maybe it compresses the camber pods a bit.

The third ski I know of like that is the Praxis Concept. Also in a number of snowboard designs.

I will say, working on the ski bases requires a bit more attention -- setting base bevels and flattening/structuring bases just feels sort of weird.

More on the praxis design: https://www.praxisskis.com/ski/construction/

And Moments triple camber: https://www.momentskis.com/products/deathwish

Last edited:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
""I think what you are seeing is our "camber pockets" molded within the overall camber of the skis. DO NOT TRY TO GRIND THIS OUT! They are an intentional design to subtlety increase contact pressure on hard snow at specific points along the edge."

Camber pockets would also reduce contact pressure at other specific points along the edge.
I have to wonder if this is just marketing or if they really do something useful.
I could speculate that the fore and aft pockets make the ski easier to swivel but make carving an arc feel all underfoot.
Seems to me that it would be easier to get hung up an the tail with this design.
Which model of Shaggy's product are we talking about here?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
There's a lot of theoreticals regarding camber pockets. All I know is that my Deathwishes are one of most impressive 110mm groomer skis I've ever been on that didn't need to go 30mph to be be bent into a turn. I think the biggest difference I feel is that they don't like a ton of tip pressure -- the prefer to be driven from a neutral stance else you stand the possibility of washing out the tails. But that is a combo of mount point, trail rocker, etc than just the micro cambers.

Blister has a thorough review on both the Deathwish and the Praxis Concept which both use a similar camber profile.

Sponsor