• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Salomon S/Pro boots, worth the upgrade?

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
Just visited our local ski show and chatted with the Salomon rep about the new S/Pro boots. I have an older pair of the X/Pro 120’s which fit fine in all, but I can’t help but wonder what a lighter boot might feel like after a long day on the slopes.

I’m a intermediate+ skier, 49, ski at least 20-30 days/yr so every little bit of advantage I can get helps, especially hearing it was over 1 pound for each boot. Especially when I’m trying to keep up (and beat) my kids.

I’m not looking to spend needlessly but I usually squirrel away a little money for gear upgrades and perhaps this might be worth it. Already have a couple ski camps booked that I could help break in some new gear.

Any thoughts on these boots and if it’d be worth the spend?

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
The S/Pro line takes the remodeling that the S/Max got last year and puts it into the 100mm last.
The core frame adds torsional rigidity, sense amplifier adds rebound, and the plastic molds better due to an improvement in blending.
Inside, the fit is more committed in the heel and ankle, more defined in the forefoot with a little more instep clearance.
The boot is also significantly lighter than its predecessor.
It also skis quite a bit better.

So yes, I think it is substantially better than the X/Pro line which did quite well for several years.

pliny the elder

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am an advanced old skier and I have found that getting new ski boots is a process of adjustments and break in that I prefer to go thru only when the current boots are worn out. In other words if the fit is good don't try to fix what ain't broken. Instead, spend your $$ on light weight skis.

I love the Head Kore 93 that I bought last season. It's super light weight is noticeable when I pick it up and walk across a parking lot. Skis like a heavy damp ski but has a light swing weight. The Elan Ripstik is another super lightweight ski but is more lively and of course there are now other great performing very very light skis out there.

TS
DerKomisar

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
Good points, I spoke with the Elan rep at a local show and he was raving about the new Wingman ski they have.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Paging @jimmy to the Pugski Courtesy Phone. IIRC, Jimmy was in the old S/Pro and is now skiing the new one, he might be a great source to answer your questions

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok to get a better fit around the ankle I went from the x-pro 120 to the s-max 130. Both boots are 25.5. I think I am getting way more ski feel. Feet stay warm even with a performance fit. One mold so far with a very thin sock, no toe padding and I get through the day fine. They are noticeably lighter but they really drive the ski.

I’ve often wondered how much difference “unsprung weight” matters when the skis are on the snow but there is more good stuff than lighter weight going on here.

TS
DerKomisar

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the feedback. Of course I went out today and the shop recommended another one to consider. It’s the new Head Edge Lyt 130. I tried it on and it felt very similar. I’ve never had Head boots or know anyone that has had them. I’m especially intrigued by the addition of the liquid fit to help lock in the heel.

Was curious if anyone had experience with Head boots or even this one in particular to compare it to the new Salomon boot.

Appreciate the help separating facts from marketing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't worry about comparing them to another boot, how do they fit YOUR foot, thats all that really matters.

Sponsor

Staff online