• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New or used?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought about this when I posted a question regarding replacing my Macbook Pro. There were a few replies that some prfered buying their Apple products used because they last so long and the average user replaces them well before their time is up. It made me think...what products fo you prefer to save and buy used and what products will you only buy new? In that latter half lets assume that there are things that we will only buy new like toothbrushes, daipers. underwear...;)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Only this i buy new are toothbrushes, etc. All else is used, skis, computers (desktops/laptops) all used.

Ski boots that's one thing that's always new for me.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I love cool furniture at consignment shops. So much more character than the “pottery barn” catalog look.

And I have a “friend” who went on a Coach purse shopping binge on Poshmark. The new styles are not as cool as the old ones.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Golf clubs have a pretty awesome used market. Probably 1/2 the clubs in my bag I picked up for about 1/4 of Msrp in almost mint condition. Golfers tend to be more nuts about equipment than even skiers. New "advancement" in technology pretty much every year coupled with golf being a Ritch mans pastime feeds the used market big time

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Used mostly for me too. Most of my used toys (bikes, cars, houses, guitars), I know it can be fixed if need be. Typically, I shoot for 30% of retail.

For electronics, it's new for me though. There may be subtle weirdness of returned electronics that don't show up immediately. I encountered one about 12 years ago with a used laptop and haven't done that again. Having the replacement warranty is worth it. That said, I used to grab used laptops that were meant for discard from a former employer for experiments: it was a win for both of us.

Another exception has been my last two skis. Got some premium skis, new unused, for around 60% of retail. Couldn't believe that deals. Can't believe their preformance.

Another exception has a new carbon full suspension MTB at half retail.

Hmm... My tennis racquets have been always new, but again at steep discounts. Usually very difficult to find what I want at a deal even used.

What can I say, being frugal is good. There's something left for other things.

Sponsor

Staff online