• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New MTB Shopping

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So I think I need a new MTB. Looking for 1x drivetrain and aluminum frame. Preferably light and cheapish. Anyone seen anything interesting?
Thanks!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Hardtail? FS? budget? what kind of trails....I assuming not much up and down?

What do nt you like about your current bike?

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Hardtail. It's going to be mostly gravel riding. Not for me. Budget is flexible but mostly looking for cheap.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
then just find something used.

The majority of new hardtails are too trail orienteed to be great for gravel riding. Also why 1x for gravel?

how tall is the ride?

There are several old geometery carbon hardtail on pinkbike for less than 1500 dollars.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2596726/

for the purpose of gravel riding it pointless to get a new hardtail as they are all getting longer, lower and more slack which isnt great for gravel riding.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2633902/

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
anything he wants to ride....

Honestly you gave us no info. I still say a used 29er hardtail with XC geo is the best bet.....

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
then just find something used.

Another vote for used. Also, I lean towards major brands, because even though frame and wheel warranties technically apply only to the original purchaser, Trek, Specialized, etc. tend to often honor them anyway for the second owner. Or at least offer a whopping discount, often referred to as "crash replacement".

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So I think I need a new MTB. Looking for 1x drivetrain and aluminum frame. Preferably light and cheapish. Anyone seen anything interesting?
Thanks!

Light, Cheap, Good; You can only pick 2. :D

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
There's no right answer. I was ambiguous in purpose. Open discussion.

How do you ride and where do you want to ride mostly?

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Probably 40% dirt, 40% pavement and 20% off road. The current bike is just too heavy. A fork with alu steerer would help but the frame is also bullet proof. And the rider has issues with front deraiileur shifting. Hence the 1x shifting.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
How cheap are you talking about? Specialized has new Rockhoppers with 1x for $730. Letfover Chisels are good deal too if you'll spend over a grand.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
You sure you want an aluminum hardtail? Especially a lower priced unit. You can probably find a nice used steel HT frame and pick up a basic SLX built kit and call it a day.

Another option would be a Fatbike with 2 wheel sets. 4.8's for winter and 27.5 or 29 for summer.

I'm going to be repo'ing some demo's from a shop in a few weeks, I can PM you details once I know what is still there if you would like.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Probably 40% dirt, 40% pavement and 20% off road. The current bike is just too heavy. A fork with alu steerer would help but the frame is also bullet proof. And the rider has issues with front deraiileur shifting. Hence the 1x shifting.

If the dirt trails are pretty smooth then you can just get a gravel bike or a light hardtail mtb with a decent 100mm fork. I have used my gravel bike on a lot of singletrack in Colorado (as long as it isnt too rocky its quite fun) besides gravel roads.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid