• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New member/ old skier

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Yeah, you just described me Bill, and we've never met. Of course I not only remember, I used them. Not so much the wooden edges.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Play nice guys. I used all of the above and helped Dad plane the skis and mount metal edges. Granted was still of an age where"help" might be debatable.

I still want to hear more about the cave. Do you have a guest cavern?

TS
pushgears

pushgears

Putting on skis
Skier
Alright, I was going to let this rest but there's some retro interest, so here's a shot back in history:

Took my first lesson at The Grossinger's Resort (Liberty NY) in 1965. The rental shop had state of the art equipment such as double leather lace-up boots, cable bindings with "safety" straps, wood skis with screwed in edges. It didn't take long to wear out my gloves on the rope-tow and for the dependency to begin.

I progressed to The Pines Hotel and their 200 vertical-foot chairlift where I made friends with Howie and Alan whose parents were full-time hotel employees. I remember them speaking of Plattekill and Blockbuster in deferential terms. I stayed out all day on the "slopes" and eventually graduated to harder substances such as Davos, Great Gorge, Silvermine, and Belleayre.

Several winters at "Camp Hunter" in various share houses provided the means to pay my dues and finally break through.

As far as the location of the cave in Utah: set out from Reno - preferably being trailed by 20 hounds. You can't miss it! And there is always room for ski buddies.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Saying you're an old skier around here is like driving up Parley's Canyon to Park City. No matter how fast you're going, there's always somebody going faster.....

46785154_2164899136883094_7243485056491061248_n.jpg

Sponsor