• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New member intro/question

BRENT VAWTER

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Good evening - Hey I stumbled across this site yesterday on my way flying back from Salt Lake to Michigan and in looking around and searching I have found that I have so much to learn about skiing after my first trip out west lol. I will give you my background as far as skiing goes. Started off skiing locally in 98' and been at it since with only a couple years off in the middle. I am comfortable with anything in lower Michigan as far as trails go and skill level is concerned. As you guys know we have big hills vs real mountains so my comfort level is based on a sub 500' descent vs 3000' out west. After this trip to Snowbasin and Park City I've found that trails marked black in Michigan are blues in a real mountain and blues here are greens out west.

What my thoughts are to see about going to a ski training primarily directed towards navigating the moguls and working on form. I don't have many places I can practice that locally especially with our shorter season and want to start off right so that I'm a step ahead for next year. For those that have been in my position or have insight what would be a good place to go and possibly take a couple day training and get some time in on the slopes practicing? Or would one suggest to just study up on training videos and head west intending to get into the rhythm?

I've got a lot of information to soak in and it'll take time but from what I've seen there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and some very helpful individuals on here from what I have ran across searching different things so far.

Thanks,

Brent

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I started out skiing in lower Michigan. Became an East Coast skier for a few years and then took my first trip out west in 2014. Currently I ski locally with as many trips out west as time and money allow. I find that the more I ski the better I get, but there is no comparison between the two regions. Here I learn to deal with ice, there it's soft snow, crud, vertical, and the altitude.