• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Member from Texas

Dbull65

Booting up
Skier
Hello from Texas!
I currently live in South Texas were there is no snow. I learned to ski while in the Navy stationed in San Diego about 30 years ago. I used to ski often but then got married to a woman who hated snow so I missed about 7 years. I remarried a woman that indulges my love of the slopes. We actually honeymooned in Breck. I have taught all my kids to ski and for the past few years we have spent Christmas in Colorado. I have a daughter that will be marring her High School Sweetheart who is an Officer in the Army and will be stationed at Fort Carson. So I can't wait to visit her often.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome! We were wondering when you woild arrive. ;)

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi from a fellow Texan! Of course, I've not lived there since college, but grew up in Amarillo and Irving outside of Dallas, then went to University of Houston. Left for grad school and have only been back to visit family. Fortunately, I married a Wisconsin girl that loves snow and skiing! She's the one that got me started. I've lived and worked on the east coast so I know mostly about firm snow and ice with the occasional powder day mixed in. I started in the Poconos, but now ski regularly at Killington.

Texans take a lot of ribbing here, so have a thick skin!:duck:

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Welcome to the site. I live in KY which means that, like you, I must travel to ski. Hope to meet you this year on the mountain.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
About an hour south of San Antonio.
That's indeed way south!

I lived in Plano thought the 90s when the Cowboys were good. Had a friend in Albuquerque and skied Taos during that time. I've also skied Apache back when it was called Sierra Blanca. Sounds like your best bet is to fly to SLC for the easy trips. But anything is an option with enough travel time :)

Cheers

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Hello from a fellow Texan! My residence is in Houston, although I spend a lot of time in Colorado as we have a townhouse in Evergreen. I purchased an Epic local pass for this coming season and plan on spending time skiing at Breck and Vail. I will be making day trips to the ski resorts/ski areas. Maybe we can meet up on the slopes.

How do you plan to travel to ski areas this season? Fly or drive? I haven't convinced myself that it is safe to fly, yet, so will probably be making the drive.

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
Welcome! San Antonio was my home for four and a half years back in the day. We almost honeymooned at Breckenridge but I foolishly gave in and we went to Hawaii. We also lived in Colorado Springs for 3 years, stationed at Falcon AFB (now Shriever). We have quite a few places in common!

TS
Dbull65

Dbull65

Booting up
Skier
Welcome to the site. I live in KY which means that, like you, I must travel to ski. Hope to meet you this year on the mountain.
That would be fun, we will be in Colorado the week of Christmas this year!

TS
Dbull65

Dbull65

Booting up
Skier
That's indeed way south!

I lived in Plano thought the 90s when the Cowboys were good. Had a friend in Albuquerque and skied Taos during that time. I've also skied Apache back when it was called Sierra Blanca. Sounds like your best bet is to fly to SLC for the easy trips. But anything is an option with enough travel time :)

Cheers
My kids learned to ski at Taos! I have also skied Angle Fire which is an nice family resort.

TS
Dbull65

Dbull65

Booting up
Skier
Hello from a fellow Texan! My residence is in Houston, although I spend a lot of time in Colorado as we have a townhouse in Evergreen. I purchased an Epic local pass for this coming season and plan on spending time skiing at Breck and Vail. I will be making day trips to the ski resorts/ski areas. Maybe we can meet up on the slopes.

I lived in Houston, Deer Park actually, as a child. Still have great memories of that. And it would be good to meet up, we will be there Christmas week.

How do you plan to travel to ski areas this season? Fly or drive? I haven't convinced myself that it is safe to fly, yet, so will probably be making the drive.
Welcome! San Antonio was my home for four and a half years back in the day. We almost honeymooned at Breckenridge but I foolishly gave in and we went to Hawaii. We also lived in Colorado Springs for 3 years, stationed at Falcon AFB (now Shriever). We have quite a few places in common!

Be happy you did not Honeymoon in Breck. I skied all day, and I was much better than my bride. The best day I had was when she took a day off for massage and facials and other girl stuff and I got to ski by myself. My wife and her dad are both Air Force, I was Navy, my son just graduated from the Naval Academy and is now a Marine. He will be with us this Christmas and will be between The Basic School and Pilot School.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Be happy you did not Honeymoon in Breck. I skied all day, and I was much better than my bride. The best day I had was when she took a day off for massage and facials and other girl stuff and I got to ski by myself. My wife and her dad are both Air Force, I was Navy, my son just graduated from the Naval Academy and is now a Marine. He will be with us this Christmas and will be between The Basic School and Pilot School.
My dad was in B52's thus the stay at Amarillo AFB until he retired.

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
I discovered after 20+ years of marriage my DH only pretended to like skiing while we were dating and during the early years. That explains why I was always the one planning ski trips. The funny thing is he got better than me before I got too busy and ended up skipping 14 years. I only got back into it 3 years ago. Now that he’s sure I won’t run away, he’s dropped all pretenses and my ski trips are all solo now, local and away. I use his betrayal as an excuse to splurge on gear, whenever & whatever I want :ogbiggrin::P.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
My father was Air Force stationed in Japan during the Korean War. I had no military service. My son is a Marine on a C130 flight crew, stationed at Miramar. I was so relieved when he texted me the other day to let me know he was safe. Another C130 from his base had to crash land in CA on Tuesday due to a midair collision with an F-35. My son is a snowboarder. He and his girlfriend who skis spent a week with us last December in CO and we skied Breck, Vail and Loveland. Not sure what he plans to do this winter, other than some time in Texas. My wife quit skiing as she doesn't enjoy it as much as the rest of us, so I will be meeting up with friends in Breck this winter.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Welcome, fellow squid. I was stationed in Pearl Harbor, and went to boot camp in San Diego. That was so long ago we actually trained along with the Shah of Iran's sailors.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Welcome to the community, I haven't seen anyone give Texans a hard time. All are welcome even snowboarders.

Whoa, let's not get carried away here!

KIDDING!
3q3xc.gif

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Welcome to the community, I haven't seen anyone give Texans a hard time. All are welcome even snowboarders.

Boarders. No :snowball:

Sponsor