• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New member from Oxfordshire UK

Seb400

Booting up
Skier
Hi all
I'm a veteran skier (nearly 50 seasons give or take one or two). I'm looking forward to visiting Whistler/Blackcomb in Feb 2020.
I've put off visiting the resort over the years in fear of possible rainy weather, it's finally time to cross it off the list of 'must visit' resorts.
Steve

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome.
You'll have a good time at W/B. Agree that it is one of the 'must visit' resort in NA.
'Must see' will require a bit more luck. :ogcool:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
While you're in WB, take a day off and come visit us at Mt. Baker. You'll see the opposite side of the ski world in NA; the anti-resort. If you do, send me a PM and I'll show you around.

TS
Seb400

Seb400

Booting up
Skier
Thanks guys.
As long as I can see as far as my feet on the chairlift I'll be happy - even happier if I can't see my feet because of the snow!
BC isn't new to us, we've skied previously at Fernie, Panorama, Lake Louise, Sunshine, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke and Big White. Thanks Posaune for the offer, but Mt Baker is a bit too far for a day trip. We have seen your neck of the woods in the past, I get your 'anti' resort comment. 15+ years ago when we visited Fernie it too was probably considered an 'anti' resort, and Kicking Horse didn't have a base resort (we stayed in Golden) when we were there!
Steve

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Welcome to the party. Is there a region or resort where you normally ski? We like pictures (just saying).

Joe Strummer

Getting on the lift
Skier
Welcome to Pugski.

I don't know what type of skier you are, but must do runs are:

(1) Blackcomb Glacier - (50 metre hike from top of Showcase T-Bar.)
(2) Peak-to-Creek - (11km run from top of Whistler Peak to bottom of Creekside Gondola. At the bottom of Creekside .Gondola is Dusty's Bar. Treat yourself to a beer and head back up.)
(3) Dave Murray Downhill - (Top of Garbonzo Chair Whistler to bottom of Creekside Gondola.)
(4) Flute Bowl - (Off to the right at top of Symphony Chair. Short hike up groomed track.)
(5) Garbonzo Chair - (Hard to find chair with no lift lines. Some terrific Blue/Black runs.
(6) Any of the Bowls - Whistler Bowl, Lakeside Bowl to name just two.)

Where are you staying?There is virtually no ski-in/ski-out accommodation at Whistler.

TS
Seb400

Seb400

Booting up
Skier
Welcome to the party. Is there a region or resort where you normally ski? We like pictures (just saying).
Thanks Bob. We like to try different resorts, but sadly I haven't been in the habit of taking photos for a long time - I'll have to dig some out. Having skied in Europe for many years France, Austria, Switzerland & Italy (my favourites being Val d'Isere and St Anton) we decided to start working our way through US and Canadian resorts - favourites to date being Telluride, Big Sky, Fernie, and Steamboat.

TS
Seb400

Seb400

Booting up
Skier
Welcome to Pugski.

I don't know what type of skier you are, but must do runs are:

(1) Blackcomb Glacier - (50 metre hike from top of Showcase T-Bar.)
(2) Peak-to-Creek - (11km run from top of Whistler Peak to bottom of Creekside Gondola. At the bottom of Creekside .Gondola is Dusty's Bar. Treat yourself to a beer and head back up.)
(3) Dave Murray Downhill - (Top of Garbonzo Chair Whistler to bottom of Creekside Gondola.)
(4) Flute Bowl - (Off to the right at top of Symphony Chair. Short hike up groomed track.)
(5) Garbonzo Chair - (Hard to find chair with no lift lines. Some terrific Blue/Black runs.
(6) Any of the Bowls - Whistler Bowl, Lakeside Bowl to name just two.)

Where are you staying?There is virtually no ski-in/ski-out accommodation at Whistler.
Hi Joe
Thanks for the tips, we're reasonably experienced skiers and like to avoid any crowds.
We're staying at the Aava, which seemed pretty well placed for both lifts and breakfast bars

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Welcome to the community, it is an interesting place that you can learn a lot from.

TS
Seb400

Seb400

Booting up
Skier
Good to see that the snow is, at last, beginning to fall in W/B - is it usual at this time of year to be so rainy?

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Good to see that the snow is, at last, beginning to fall in W/B - is it usual at this time of year to be so rainy?
You can get a pinapple express at any time of the year. Rain is a fact of life in these parts. On the other hand, you also get more snow than anyone else does. Get it while the getting is good!

TS
Seb400

Seb400

Booting up
Skier
IMG_0574.JPG
Lone Peak, Big Sky, Montana - worth the travelling. Empty pistes after a night of snowfall.

TS
Seb400

Seb400

Booting up
Skier
A number of things - perhaps I was expecting too much.
Price of lift ticket is extortionate, all the more galling when you take the Blackcomb Gondola from Whistler Base (to avoid the large queues at the Whistler Gondola. During the time I was there I once saw the queue wind back 2-300 yds into Whistler village) only to have that, and the next two lifts all come to a halt en-route.
I accept that the early season snowfall presents problems in dealing with with new snowfall & avalanche risk, but the time taken to open up the Alpine lifts after snowfall of only 2 or 3cm, on a couple of occasions, caused massive queues at the limited lift options below the mid-station on both mountains.
The mountain restaurants closing at 2.15 - what is that about?
I have to say, in Whistlers defence, that the staff in all establishments/lift stations/ski shops were all very friendly and helpful. The Aava hotel, in which I stayed, exceeded expectation.
The piste condition was disappointing, especially seeing a class of 'snowplough' kids having to resort to sit and slide down a solid sheet of ice, green 'easiest route down option'.

Sponsor

Staff online