• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New member from Minneapolis/St. Paul

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Hey partner......I relocate to the Twin Cities from NYC last year (used to ski CBK each weekend) and have been skiing Welch for the second season. B/C i have a daughter on their D-Team we go almost every weekend. IMHO it's the best place around and has much better "terrain", than Buck (for racing) and Highland (racing and parents dropping their kids off) and Afton (Vail owned and uber crowded).

While the terrain here is small and most times can get boring quickly, Welch has a few runs with some decent pitches the front 4 runs are very good, a areas with soe causing along with a "back" area that has some short steeps and a nice quad with almost no lines. Welch is pretty retro as well.......old lifts w/ no bars, a cafeteria that has boxed doughnuts from a local bakery and a quirky lodge.

IMHO I like what @Philpug has to suggest: get a pair of SL skis and turn like there's no tomorrow.

I don't know of many backcountry or secret stashes/spots in farm country but would be interested if you found out.........

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since this is becoming a bit of a MN intro thread, I'll throw my name in the hat as a fellow new member.

28 year old living in the Twin Cities. I grew up in Texas and moved to Denver after college as a never-ever skier.

I picked up a Keystone/A-Basin pass for the 2013/2014 season and took a beginner lesson. Living in Denver, I was able to progress relatively quickly thanks to ~20 days on the mountain my first two seasons.

Now days I'd consider myself an advanced intermediate. I ski mostly blues and blacks out West and occasionally get in over my head on a double black. I'd say about a 50/50 split between groomers and bumps/trees/off trail based on my trip to Steamboat earlier this month.

A little over 2 years ago I moved from Denver to the Twin Cities. Talk about little mountain blues...

Heading into my third Midwest ski season, so far I've only made it out to Afton, Hyland, and Wild Mountain. I'm definitely looking forward to exploring some of the bigger hills here, and/or ways to making the smaller local hills more entertaining.

I'm checking out Spirit Mountain this weekend and might sneak up to Lutsen in the Spring, and I love the idea of those $10 race deals at Troll.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Talk about little mountain blues...

I get it...and welcome. Try Welch. Not that too far away and much better terrain than the areas that you mention above.......see above for my comments/thoughts.

While it's difficult to get excited about skiing the Twin Cities, if you like skiing Welch is a decent place to go to make some turns in between trips. I one of those people who really enjoys skiing and would rather be at Welch for a few hours o a Saturday and Sunday rather than sitting home and waiting for the next trip.

Take a drive down to Welch and see for yourself. I don't work there but as mentioned above, I like skiing and think that Welch is the best area around for those who want to make turns.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
I get it...and welcome. Try Welch. Not that too far away and much better terrain than the areas that you mention above.......see above for my comments/thoughts.

While it's difficult to get excited about skiing the Twin Cities, if you like skiing Welch is a decent place to go to make some turns in between trips. I one of those people who really enjoys skiing and would rather be at Welch for a few hours o a Saturday and Sunday rather than sitting home and waiting for the next trip.

Take a drive down to Welch and see for yourself. I don't work there but as mentioned above, I like skiing and think that Welch is the best area around for those who want to make turns.
Definitely will do!

My old ski buddies from Texas make fun of the MN hills and their short runs with only 300 feet of vertical. To which I say, 300 feet is still better than zero feet! :beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online