• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New member from Italy

Samoro

Booting up
Skier
Hello, I am Samoro, 70 this year, I have skied intermittently all my life. I have spent a small fortune with coaches, gear, etc, with poor results. I even had a go at racing until I was 60. Then I stopped for ten years, but now by pure chance I went skiing with my son again. What a blast! I was hooked again, bought new boots, skis and now go skiing at every opportunity. Being almost retired helps. I am not sure I will be able to contribute much, but I certainly enjoy reading

TS
Samoro

Samoro

Booting up
Skier
I usually go to Cortina because I like it and is not too far from where I live, but I have been everywhere in the Dolomites and to the glaciers around here: Stelvio, Val Senales, Hintertux etc.
But Cortina is special, really.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Hello, I am Samoro, 70 this year, I have skied intermittently all my life. I have spent a small fortune with coaches, gear, etc, with poor results. I even had a go at racing until I was 60. Then I stopped for ten years, but now by pure chance I went skiing with my son again. What a blast! I was hooked again, bought new boots, skis and now go skiing at every opportunity. Being almost retired helps. I am not sure I will be able to contribute much, but I certainly enjoy reading
Welcome, from another over 70 skier that just wants to enjoy this sport. I had the opportunity many years ago to ski in northern Italy not far from the Austrian border, it was a day trip through the Brenner Pass from Innsbruck. Loved it than and would love to get back to Italy again, even if I don't get to ski, just to visit the country of my ancestors.

TS
Samoro

Samoro

Booting up
Skier
Cheers! Could it be that you went to Brixen/Plose or Merano? Nice places; now day trips are done by helicopter (if you are rich, that is). I am enjoying this skiing revival of mine a lot: 30 days so far but hopefully have not finished yet. Bought a second pair of skis (Qst 99) just for the spring slush. Problem is that the tennis season is also requiring my attention!

Uncle-A

Skier
Cheers! Could it be that you went to Brixen/Plose or Merano? Nice places; now day trips are done by helicopter (if you are rich, that is). I am enjoying this skiing revival of mine a lot: 30 days so far but hopefully have not finished yet. Bought a second pair of skis (Qst 99) just for the spring slush. Problem is that the tennis season is also requiring my attention!
It was ski area near Vipertino (not sure of the spelling) but was told it was part of Austria before WWII and now is Italian.

TS
Samoro

Samoro

Booting up
Skier
Probably Vipiteno, I have been there many years ago: nice, typical “South Tyrol“ place. It definitely used to be part of Austria and still most of the people there speak German (or if necessary Italian, with a German accent!). Lovely area, well kept, clean, good food. If I recall correctly, there are several easy pistes, but no really challenging runs.

Uncle-A

Skier
Probably Vipiteno, I have been there many years ago: nice, typical “South Tyrol“ place. It definitely used to be part of Austria and still most of the people there speak German (or if necessary Italian, with a German accent!). Lovely area, well kept, clean, good food. If I recall correctly, there are several easy pistes, but no really challenging runs.
That seems right, fun to ski with my wife. We did stop for food it was good but the wine was better. Just some local red wine but we enjoyed it with our meal. It was a great day all around.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome!
We have a handful of members from Italy here. @Nobody comes to mind.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Hi Samoro.
I rediscovered skiing again last year after getting a knee replaced.
This year I skied with a great friend and instructor who got me skiing with both legs again.
Skiing strong and pain free for the first time in 30 years brought incredible joy to me, I'm 74.
Best part of the season was the pair of made in Italy Blossom White Outs in 176 that I got through eBay.
Those guys make some special skis.
Enjoy this place, there is a lot to be learned and some epic arguments over skiing.

TS
Samoro

Samoro

Booting up
Skier
Hi and thank you all for your welcome, kind and warm. I am gradually exploring this site and indeed there is a lot that I can learn. So much has evolved in these last ten years, and so many knowledgeable people here! I think that my ski season is finished for now: high temperatures, rain most days, most places closing. However, I managed to ski 30 days, not bad, eh? As Dakine said, I also experienced “incredibile joy”, and this is no little thing at our age. I think that my new gear, softer boots, lighter and less “pretentious” skis, were contributing a lot to making everything easier and more enjoyable.
Blossom Skis: they changed the name, but they come from the same small laboratory that many (v many) years ago produced the Persenico/ Spalding skis for the Italian team of the 70’s (Thöni, Gros, Stricker, etc.). Until few years ago, it was the same man, a Mr. Panatti, (actually the coach of the speed disciplines at that time) who designed the skis, always with the traditional wood sandwich, all artisanal. Always based on his experience rather than computers.
Cheers!

Sponsor

Staff online