• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Mac Laptop...Macbook Pro or Air...Go!

Should I stay...or upgrade?

• Macbook Pro

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Macbook Air

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Keep old Macbook Pro

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I decided to buy the 13" MB Pro without the Touch Bar and Touch ID. Guess those new skis are gonna have to wait a little. Will push fixing the front bumper out to 2019.

@Living Proof , do you feel confident buying it off of Craigslist? The current 13" MBP offers 2 ports and the Retina display.
Can't go wrong with buying awesome tech! And don't worry about that front bumper:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can purchase a 6 month old '17 Macbook for less than $800 which is the cost of a '17 MBA on Black Friday.
No doubt the '17 Macbook is much nicer than the '17 Air. Those big bezels really date the old Air. I didn't get pics of the Macbook, but here's the MBP vs. the new and old air at BB yesterday:

IMG_20181113_152334.jpg

For that price point and size, I think I'd jump at the $699 Google Pixelbook for $300 off on Black Friday. I'm just a day into Chrome OS but can see how it's likely going to supplant Mac OS for me at some point after using Mac OS for a decade.

Funny, after using the smaller screen of the Leveno Chromebook I'm looking at 15" Chromebooks and thinking of trading it in for one of those. Wish Google made one.

Or, maybe I'll keep looking for used 15" MacBook Pro. Still hoping Apple will make another 17" MacBook Pro! Only a year and a half until I can't use my 2011 17" i7 beast at a coffee shop safely anymore, thanks to Apple EOL. :nono:

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been bashing Apple for their EOL policy. Looks like Google is worse. Google only guarantees 6.5 years of updates for Chromebooks. That was recently increased from 5 years:
https://liliputing.com/2018/04/goog...-chromebooks-is-starting-to-be-a-problem.html
https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Most Chromebooks are way cheaper, so you could go through several for the price of one Mac. Also note that the clock starts ticking on Chrome OS when the model is released, so if you buy an older model you get less life out of it.

MS is by far the best for the longevity of OS updates. Problem is you have to use the MS OS. :eek:

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I visited a local Apple retailer today to check out the new MacBook Air and the 12' Macbook.

While I am not a Mac user, it's a little awkward navigating around the keyboard using the touchpad. After a few minutes and some coaching, I must say that I am impressed with the new MBA. The Retina Display looks great, the keyboard was not an issue at all in getting used, and, the overall size is close to perfect for my typical on-my- lap while sitting in a comfy chair. Only one USB c port, so a dongle would be needed, a common knock in the reviews.

I tested the 12' macbook because there is a killer deal on a 5 month old '17 macbook with I7 processer, still under warranty, from a local seller. I was concerned about the keyboard size being too small, but, actually using it took that issue off the table. I do like the smaller size and the ease of portability. Not sure if I would be happy with the smaller size/screen size over the long run, but, my needs are simple.

I am curious about how Mac users deal with the MS Word and Excel documents commonly used. I know that MS office is available for a yearly fee that cheap me does not want to pay. Also, is it an issue to transfer ownership/registration if buying a used Mac?

Briefly, I did look at the new Macbook Pro, my take is that it would be a waste of $100 for that upgrade, although there are more ports to connect other devices eliminating the need for a dongle.

My target all-in price is $1k, there are some good deals on the '17 MBP's from local sellers that easily get under that price. Yeah, and in the back of my mind, is the killer deal above on the old MBA during the upcoming Black Friday weekend. And, just to add to the potential buys, my Iphone 5s needs to be replaced as it has issues at my vacation home. Target is offering a $150 gift card over Black Friday weekend, that is the bet deal I've come across to-date.

Bank account will take a hit this month!
Just found this article about Microsoft Office you might find useful.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
WOW, the voting changed here. It was keep the old one in the the lead, now it is all tied to quote Moses Malone ...4 4 4. I think I am going to put a new battery in and keep the old one...if I can get another year..or two out of it. That is a huge deferred outlay.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I am going to put a new battery in and keep the old one...if I can get another year..or two out of it. That is a huge deferred outlay.
Absolutely, and the price of the MacBook Air you want will likely come down a few hundred dollars as well. At least that's what the experts on the MacBreak Weekly podcast (episode #635) think based on what Apple has done in the past. 2017 Air will likely disappear and the new $1199 Air will drop to $999 a year from now. Then, hopefully, that will be the one that is $200 off for Black Friday next year.

And, for anyone thinking about the old 2017 Air, consider that Mac OS will not be supported on the old Air for as long as the new Air. That could sway the decision making depending on how long you plan to keep it.

And regarding future EOL, there was a discussion on the podcast about the cool new T2 chip Apple has recently added for hardware security and other important stuff. There's a clear future delineation where Apple won't support Mac OS on anything that doesn't have a T2 chip some years down the road, and probably the T1 chip a year or so prior. These are the Macs that have these chips and will likely provide the best Mac OS longevity:

Apple-designed_processors_-_Wikipedia.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple-designed_processors
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208862

There is also speculation that the T2 chip could prevent third-party repairs. Security always has tradeoffs. Apple is doing a great job of in investing in security and making it an important differentiator on both Mac OS and iOS, but it comes at a cost.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Steve you've got me looking at used Macs on eBay, thanks! :rolleyes:

Any tips for buying one on eBay? Seem like buying from a reputable seller that accepts returns would be fairly safe. Anything else?

eBay looks a bit more expensive than CL but probably safer and less hassle for sure.

Edit: A couple examples of MBP's I'd be looking to get for ~$400 on CL, going for ~$700 on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-Pr...-2-6GHz-16GB-256GB-SSD-Mojave-ab/173638505073
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-2012...-512GB-SSD-MC976LL-A-2018-Mojave/362461224172

Nice to see the system info with battery cycles in the images on that last one.

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Those both look good, seller with tons of feedback and close to 100%. That's what I look for.

You could ask about the battery cycle number.
I also look on Amazon for used Macs, they're usually more expensive, but I've found good deals there too.

Even if they don't accept returns, ebay has a buyer protection program that forces them to take things back that are defective. ebay is very buyer oriented, so sellers are afraid of getting defects or bad feedback.

I've done really well there. In the last few months we upgraded two of our studios to trashcan Mac Pros, both used from ebay with 32MB of RAM and 6 cores for around $1,700-$1,800 each.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
And, the winner of the new LP computer is .....the '18 MacBook Air with Retina display.

The Micro Center stores advertised the new MBA at $999, starting immediately, a $200 discount over MSRP, with a bonus 5% reduction for opening their credit card. No Black Friday lines, no hassle, just a 35 minute drive. So $999 is a price point many hoped it would start at, and, better than any other offer I had seen. The discount pretty much offsets the sales tax, I get the better screen,better processor and a full year warranty. In my mind, this is a no brainer.

So, thanks to all who participated in this thread, it sharpened my thinking about my next PC. I am excited to get it running. Some may remember I bought a Chromebook a few days ago, and, that gets returned tomorrow. Using that device for 10 days has been a plus over my old HP and a major driver in realizing it is time to pull the trigger on something new. The Leveno C330 a neat little machine, just not a stand alone machine.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Enjoy. As I've said I'm still spending a very large part of my life on a 2012 MBA, so this 2018 machine should give you a lot of years of service. Apple makes a good OS and good apps, but they are first and foremost a hardware company, they make the software and have created the wonderful ecosystem only to sell their hardware. And great hardware it is.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And, the winner of the new LP computer is .....the '18 MacBook Air with Retina display.

The Micro Center stores advertised the new MBA at $999, starting immediately, a $200 discount over MSRP, with a bonus 5% reduction for opening their credit card. No Black Friday lines, no hassle, just a 35 minute drive. So $999 is a price point many hoped it would start at, and, better than any other offer I had seen. The discount pretty much offsets the sales tax, I get the better screen,better processor and a full year warranty. In my mind, this is a no brainer.

So, thanks to all who participated in this thread, it sharpened my thinking about my next PC. I am excited to get it running. Some may remember I bought a Chromebook a few days ago, and, that gets returned tomorrow. Using that device for 10 days has been a plus over my old HP and a major driver in realizing it is time to pull the trigger on something new. The Leveno C330 a neat little machine, just not a stand alone machine.

Good deal,! the best I have seen so far is $100 off at B&H . This had me checking it out BUT ithe offer is in store only, and the 16mb/512gb option not listed. My Late 13 MBA has been worked hard and it is EOY taxplanning time so it is time to be looking at a replacement. Probably just as well as I would really like to have the i7 processor option again

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
I recommended waiting... if you can.

Reason being... I reckon FaceID is 'just around the corner' for the macbooks.
Problem is, that might be 2 years away though :(

The Air does tempt... especially with TouchID, but again - I suspect FaceId might be coming, and if so then the next Macbook will replace my current Macbook which is fantastic... but with the new Air it again makes getting a Macbook now not so desirable.

If you value lightness (I travel every month to an oil rig so minimal baggage weights are useful) then the Macbook that comes next would be well worth waiting for... or should be as I'd expect smaller side bezels allowing 12-1/2 screen rather than 12" with FaceID and who knows maybe even OLED.

If you do get one with Usb-c then i recommend a 'one dongle to rule them all' approach - I got an Uptab branded one that passes through usb-c power and has two usb-A ports, ethernet port, hdmi out and SD card slot.
On top of that you may want a multi cable - i just ordered one so I can reduce the cables i carry.... I'll use an old Macbook charger with the Usb-a power out port and this cable which is usb-a at one end to a three way split to usb-c, lighting and micro usb - so I can charge my macbook, or my ipad, iphone or my micro usb kindle or connect any of those to my laptop for data etc with the dongle.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-ZACTEK-Charging-Braided-Lightning-Samsung/dp/B078TG3LK6

cable_usbc.jpg

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I was also considering upgrading, I'm currently on a mid-2012 MBA 11" with the i7 2ghz and 8GB memory. Last week I went into the Apple store and checked out the new models. They are nice, but nothing made me feel that I had to spend the money this year. I'm going to try and hang on for 2 more years to see what the upgrade cycle looks like. Rumors of new chips, etc... I do need to look into a new battery in the meantime. Mine doesn't last very long anymore.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some may remember I bought a Chromebook a few days ago, and, that gets returned tomorrow. Using that device for 10 days has been a plus over my old HP and a major driver in realizing it is time to pull the trigger on something new. The Leveno C330 a neat little machine, just not a stand alone machine.
I also returned my Lenovo C330 today. It's an amazing little machine for the money, just too small for me even as a secondary computer.

I'm accustomed to a 17" MBP screen and just couldn't bring myself to use the little 11.6" screen. I consumed content on it fine for a week, but when it came to typing much more than a few sentences I wanted a bigger screen. Not sure how folks survive on little screens. I think 15" is the minimum for me. There are very few larger Chromebooks, and their prices get up into the range of a used 15" MBP, so the Chromebook hardware isn't compelling for me yet. A 15" Pixelbook would have me interested, 17" even more so.

I really like Chrome OS. Bringing together Chrome, Android and Linux and doing so on both a touch and laptop interface is amazing. It's not perfect and needs work, but very much going in the right direction, IMO. I can see how it could become my primary OS, and I've probably used more than 30 (QNX is the best if anyone is wondering ;). There is no doubt in my mind Chrome OS has a bright future. The Googlers are building an OS that meets their needs, and the needs of their kids and parents. Pretty cool. I'm hoping enough of them also want a 15" PIxelbook like me.

I love using MacOS, but Apple is in a cluster not wanting to integrate or combine it with iOS. Not sure where MacOS will be 5 or 10 years from now. Apple seem to want us all to use iOS on an iPad Pro instead of a Mac. Ain't gonna happen. The economics of getting 30% of the revenue from all apps on iOS is taking Apple down a bad path, IMO. I'm glad Chrome OS is coming up to a least keep Apple honest, if not provide a more compelling platform in a few years.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, if this is too much thread drift, but I figured it relates in some way.

My daughter is off to college next year (UVM), and I would like to take advantage of these holiday prices to get her a laptop (Apple) for Xmas. I am assuming I would be purchasing at Best Buy or trying to find the best “deal” online.

What would be the :micdrop: Mac laptop for a college kid to be able to handle everything she would need it for in the next 4-6 years? (ie. model, GB, MB. RAM, storage, etc.). Thank you for your suggestions.

@Philpug......Wondering if this topic deserves its own thread?

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@BC the new or old Macbook Air should be fine. Check with her program, though. I know a few have specific requirements because they run specialized software, sometimes Mac and sometimes MS, and they occasionally require higher performance hardware. The huge majority get by fine on a basic PC laptop or Macbook Air. One from a vendor the school's IT department supports is ideal. Again, check with her school. Schools usually have deals too, but probably not as good as Black Friday. The new Air on sale for $999 that @Living Proof bought would be my top choice if it's good for her program.

Reactions: BC.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
@BC. Your daughter can use the student discount, too, right, although that might be the same as other deals.

Reactions: BC.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If anyone is looking for a higher end MacBook Pro 15, OWC has a great deal on a solid config for $1999. That same machine is $2799 from Apple:
https://eshop.macsales.com/configure-my-mac/UAPG2HS422XXXXG

Yesterday (Black Friday) they sold the first 5 for an additional $300 off, maybe they will do the same Monday? Screaming deal for $1699:

Configure_Apple_MacBook_Pro__Touch__15-inch__Mid_2017__at_MacSales_com.jpg

I've got another year of support on my 2011 MPB. I think I"ll ride that out until this time next year then look for a deal like that. That's much easier to swallow than $3K. Black Friday sure does seem to be a great time to buy Macs that usually are difficult to find discounted new. Prices are even better than refurbished from Apple.

And, thanks to @Steve for turning me on to the used market on e-bay. It's great to know if I'm in a pinch and need a Mac quickly I can find a decent used deal with some assurances on e-bay. They don't have the screaming deals CL does, but it's an easier and safer way to buy a used Mac. Amazon too, but the used Macs there tend to not have as many details listed as those on e-bay.

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
So contrary to what is documented and mentioned above I just installed Mojave on my 2012 MBA.