• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Mac Laptop...Macbook Pro or Air...Go!

Should I stay...or upgrade?

• Macbook Pro

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Macbook Air

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Keep old Macbook Pro

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Even if this Mojave (10.14) update is the last OS for your 2014 MBP you'll have 3 years of updates if Apple follows past protocol. You should be fine until fall of 2021 at a minimum.

We won't know until next summer for sure, but it seems like there is a good chance you'll even get another year out of your 2014 to the fall of 2022. It was the 2012's that dropped off this year and now only have two years of updates remaining. 2013's are definitely on the bubble for their last OS next year. Hopefully not 2014's.

I'm very familiar with all this as my beloved 17" Macbook Pros are coming to the end of their life. Even worse Apple doesn't make them anymore. :nono:

My 2009 running El Capitan (10.11) likely received its last update recently and will be a security risk going forward. My 2011 running High Serra (10.13) isn't upgradeable to Mojave, so I've got two years of updates coming before it's unsupported.

Anyone running El Capitan or older should be looking to buy a new machine, or be a super geek willing to jump through hoops to implement other options to keep yourself secure. There are too many bad guys out there to be running an OS that doesn't receive security updates!

I doubt you'll see that much difference with the same usage. How many cycles do you have on your battery? With a good battery your current Pro will give you 90% of the battery life of a new Pro when used the same way.

Your current Macbook Pro is rated 9 hours:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-i5-2.8-13-mid-2014-retina-display-specs.html

The new Macbook Pro is 10 rated hours
https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

I do think you have a good case to switch to an Air for better battery life. An Air will give you something like 133% of the battery life of your current Pro. I'd just have a hard time spending that much on an Air to likely take a step back in performance from your current Pro other than battery life.

The new Macbook Air is rated 12 hours:
https://www.apple.com/macbook-air/specs/

Note the old Macbook Airs are also rated at 12 hours:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.8-13-2017-specs.html

I'd think about picking up an older, 2015ish, used Air for $400-500. You won't notice hauling them both in the car and combined you'll get more than double your current battery life. Just an idea.

Your 2014 MacBook Pro is too nice to let go for $400, IMO. I'd keep that around for cheap redundancy whatever you do! I'll buy it for that in a heartbeat, as I suspect others here would as well.
Here is the health of my battery:
  • Health Information:
    • Cycle Count: 1307
    • Condition: Replace Soon
So it is not dire and not critical.

The $400 is basically wholesale, kinda like trading in a car verses selling it privately. What I do like is that it actually has a significant value...most Windows of this year wouldn't be worth that if they had 3 $100 bills taped to the bottom. As far as keeping it as a back up..we have done that with past upgrades, computer and phones and we never used them and they depreciated further and eventually sold them anyway. @Tricia has the same computer and with these having screen issues, hers was replaced mine has not had the same problems. The keyboard is showing wear but that is just cosmetic.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, that battery is toast. It's great it's still working for 3 hours since 1000 cycles is when they start to go south.

Are you using Chrome? If you switch to Safari you'll see better battery life and extend the usable life of your battery. Chrome is a pig and kills your battery by using a lot more memory and CPU.

I say that as I post this from Chrome. I'm trying to wean myself off after years of dedicated use. Just too deep into plugins and Google's ecosystem.

If you are as hooked on Chrome as I am, 8GB of RAM doesn't cut it. You really need 16GB. I recently upgraded my MBP to 16 and it's running cooler, fan barely runs, and the battery lasts much longer. I wish I had done it sooner to avoid the cycles on my battery.

That upgrade could have been avoided if I didn't use Chrome. And, it's not just Chrome. All software continues to get fatter and fatter, so I wouldn't advise a Mac with less than 8GB and suggest 16GB if you plan to keep it a while, at least if you don't buy one of the few remaining that can still be upgraded.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, that battery is toast. It's great it's still working for 3 hours since 1000 cycles is when they start to go south.

Are you using Chrome? If you switch to Safari you'll see better battery life and extend the usable life of your battery. Chrome is a pig and kills your battery by using a lot more memory and CPU.

I say that as I post this from Chrome. I'm trying to wean myself off after years of dedicated use. Just too deep into plugins and Google's ecosystem.

If you are as hooked on Chrome as I am, 8GB of RAM doesn't cut it. You really need 16GB. I recently upgraded my MBP to 16 and it's running cooler, fan barely runs, and the battery lasts much longer. I wish I had done it sooner to avoid the cycles on my battery.

That upgrade could have been avoided if I didn't use Chrome. And, it's not just Chrome. All software continues to get fatter and fatter, so I wouldn't advise a Mac with less than 8GB and suggest 16GB if you plan to keep it a while, at least if you don't buy one of the few remaining that can still be upgraded.
Chrome, what's that? ;) Seriously, I don't even have it on my computer. I am a Safari user, in fact, all Apple software, no Word or Excel either. I do have Firefox on my computer just because I needed it for some access that didn't work with Safari. I just use it now when I need to test something on the site.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is all from memory (mine) so could be off a little but I had my last MacBook Pro for 10 years until it started having a bunch of issues a year ago, only some software compatibility, so I replaced it with the then current.The only noticeable improvement was the display, retina is nice.

If I had a do-over I'd go with an Air. I'd sacrifice a lot for the weight difference and the reality is you don't sacrifice much with reasonable workarounds.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Chrome, what's that? ;) Seriously, I don't even have it on my computer. I am a Safari user, in fact, all Apple software, no Word or Excel either. I do have Firefox on my computer just because I needed it for some access that didn't work with Safari. I just use it now when I need to test something on the site.
Well you aren't the only one not using Chrome.:)

upload_2018-11-1_14-23-52.png

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Just wanted to say thanks for the posts and informed opinions. I have a late 2011 15" MacBook Pro that has been a real workhorse. Still, knock on wood, going semi strong. Had to replace the hard drive a year or so ago. This is VERY timely. I'm pretty interested in the thought of a refurbished MBA. I don't need the "guts" that my machine has for what I use it for these days.

At any rate, thanks!

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty interested in the thought of a refurbished MBA.
Lots of different places refurb Macs: Apple, local stores, at least one franchise, and your random dudes on craigslist. Hard to go wrong from a trusted source that's going to be there to back it up.

I've never bought refurbished. So far I've either bought new to get the latest and greatest or taken a $400-600 chance used. If the right scenario presented itself I'd jump on refurbished. Lots of good ways to buy a used car and a used mac.

Note that Apple is still selling the previous Macbook Air for $999:
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/...processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-2.9ghz-128gb

You can also get an i7 for $150 more that's not available on the new MBA.

The old MBA seems like the perfect product for a Black Friday sale. Probably worth waiting to see.

What do folks think, is the Retina display in the new Macbook Air worth the extra money over the old one? Other than that I don't see a compelling upgrade. The old Macbook air was much loved for many many years, so it can't be too bad.

Hardpack

Booting up
Skier
I have a mid 2013 MacBook Air. It did and does everything I need it to do. Battery life was significantly reduced and it seemed like the machine was outdated. Replaced the battery and it's almost like having a new computer.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
In the last 3 years:
13 Macs, 9 Mac Minis and Mac Pros, 4 Mac Book Airs. 11 bought used, 1 refurbished, 1 new.
8 iPads and iPad Pros. 6 bought refurbished, 2 new.

All in daily use.

The Mid 2012 MacBook Airs all have only 4GB RAM. All very, very useful machines. I run my business on one of them. Yes I have a (bought used) Mac Pro 2013 with 32 GB of RAM for the heavy lifting.

All purchased from ebay and Amazon.

Recently bought 2 new macs (mini and iMac) returned both as they had less features than the older ones. Replaced them with used Mac Pros.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My only reason for considering the new MB Air is that it is now a 13.3" screen verses the only one being 12". I have a Retina Display and doubt I could consider going back either.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you from me, too, for the great info on this thread. :hail: I guess it's time to think more seriously about replacing this machine--need to talk DyNo Computers, the local Apple wise men.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My only reason for considering the new MB Air is that it is now a 13.3" screen verses the only one being 12". I have a Retina Display and doubt I could consider going back either.

..???? The MBA has always had a 13 inch screen version.... there was also an 11inch option which was discontinued over a year ago

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
..???? The MBA has always had a 13 inch screen version.... there was also an 11inch option which was discontinued over a year ago
Maybe I was thinking the 11"...but I know they were not available with a Retina Display which is why I didn't consider them prior.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Keep old Mac Book Pro is winning? Im disappointed in PugSki...

get the new Mac Book Pro, you know u want it :D

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wikipedia has a nice chart of all the MacBook Airs showing the 13.3" since it was introduced, and an 11" added in the second generation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Air

Looks like there may be a screaming Black Friday deal on the 13.3" non-Retina model for $674 ($325 off)!!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ipad-iphone-macbook-watch-deals/#697bb38375db

Last Black Friday that MBA was on sale for $799 ($200 off) according to that Forbes article. It's the $999 configuration currently on Apple's site, but probably only in this exact config and at big box stores:
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/...processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-2.9ghz-128gb

$674 will be super tempting if it's for real. @Muleski that's the same machine as the cheapest refurbished MB Air Apple is currently selling for $849:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...nch-MacBook-Air-18GHz-dual-core-Intel-Core-i5

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug there was a good discussion about the New Air vs. Pro on the MacBreak Weekly podcast.

Probably not be much you haven't read, but it's nice to hear the color commentary from some of the tech journalists writing the articles. The Air discussion starts about 6:00:
https://twit.tv/shows/macbreak-weekly/episodes/634?autostart=false

They are generally not huge fans of the processor in the new Air, preferring the Pro's performance. You're probably an exception where battery life is your key driver.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug there was a good discussion about the New Air vs. Pro on the MacBreak Weekly podcast.

Probably not be much you haven't read, but it's nice to hear the color commentary from some of the tech journalists writing the articles. The Air discussion starts about 6:00:
https://twit.tv/shows/macbreak-weekly/episodes/634?autostart=false

They are generally not huge fans of the processor in the new Air, preferring the Pro's performance. You're probably an exception where battery life is your key driver.
Thanks I will listen to it. As I said earlier, while I am on the computer for many hours, I am not a power user in that I don't to a lot of big projects or intensive graphic.

Keep old Mac Book Pro is winning? Im disappointed in PugSki...

get the new Mac Book Pro, you know u want it :D

Right, huh? I am actually leaning to replacing the battery and keeping my Macbook for another year..or two?

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Right now, the only reason to get a MacBook Pro is if you are working with heavy demanding graphics and video applications. Otherwise, it's the new MBA all the way. Same screen, better battery life, 2 USB-C ports instead of 4 but who cares. A MacBook is a stupid purchase because it's $100 more expensive, yet smaller and slower. Buy the new Air, it's all the laptop 90% of us need.

Sponsor

Staff online