• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't been there but there is a lift at my home mountain, Mt. Rose, that has a similar lift. It's old and slow but it's also the only lift that runs to the top on windy days when the 6 pack detachables are closed.

What do the Schweitzer aficionados think? Is new always better? Here's the link.

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
I didn't see this posted here so thought I would share. Schweitzer's Snowghost lift (Chair 6 for us old-timers) is finally being replaced in time for the 2019-20 season. Rather than having a single lift that serves the entire Outback Bowl, the new configuration will include a detachable quad from the current base station to approximately the current midway unloading area. There will be a new fixed-grip triple that loads past Colburn Lake just above Vagabond and unloads near the current top of Snowghost. This will service the entire Lakeside Chutes area all the way down to Debbie Sue. In my view, this is a great improvement and will segregate mid-level skiers from experts and the expert terrain. It will also speed up laps for the Lakeside terrain, although it will also lead to it being tracked out earlier. Still, instead of getting 2-3 laps per hour on the old chair, you get maybe 5 laps and avoid the flat run-out to the current base. It also lessens traffic on Vagabond where there are ski classes intermingling with straight-liners heading for their next lap on 6. That makes for a safer skier traffic pattern, too. All in all, this is very welcome from my perspective.

https://www.schweitzer.com/installation-of-two-new-lifts/

New lift locations:

44868745_10157015921857280_8430904777801465856_o.jpg

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
I haven't been there but there is a lift at my home mountain, Mt. Rose, that has a similar lift. It's old and slow but it's also the only lift that runs to the top on windy days when the 6 pack detachables are closed.

What do the Schweitzer aficionados think? Is new always better? Here's the link.

The new triple will run to the top whereas the new quad will be out of the major winds. Judging by the same configuration on the front side, I think we'll have better access on windy days. Even if the wind is bad at the top, the quad should still run. That's an improvement. Also, the heavier triple chairs should handle wind better than the old double. I believe this is a significant upgrade from our current situation.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Interesting. I always thought the reason was not the lift type. But rather the fact that Lakeview is a lot more protected from the wind ( and it does end at a lower point ). Edit: but it could very well be both things.

:huh:

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like the New Lift 2 will have the bottom terminal close to Cedar Park, which is a bit lower than the bottom of Snow Ghost. Too bad they couldn’t take it all the way down to the Outback Inn/Stella.

But yeah, it’ll be a nice upgrade. Before, you could take Stella and ski back to the frontside and take the Great Escape quad in about the same time as riding up Snow Ghost (depending on how fast you ski/skate the Village cat track).

I’m guessing the most untracked area will still be the Siberia side since it’ll still take two chair lifts to get back to the top. But it will be way faster than it is now to lap, also, you could take either new Lift 2 or Stella and have a decent run down to New Lift 1.

I approve.

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
It looks like the New Lift 2 will have the bottom terminal close to Cedar Park, which is a bit lower than the bottom of Snow Ghost. Too bad they couldn’t take it all the way down to the Outback Inn/Stella.

I participated in a focus group about 25 years ago and this new lift layout and configuration (quad, triple to the top) is almost exactly what I was promoting. The only real difference is what you note, taking the quad down to Outback. I think part of their reasoning is to not overcrowd that small bowl with two high-speed loading areas. Even with just Stella, there, it can get pretty crowded around 11:30 on a busy day. Plus, the Outback lodge itself is sorely undersized (and in need of replacement) and this would only exacerbate that issue. Lastly, that lower elevation also has some snow retention problems due to low elevation and could cause two high speed lifts to open late and close early. I would guess that having the higher loading point for the new quad gives them greater flexibility in keeping more terrain open. But that's just my opinion, man....

Sponsor