• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Lange XT Free 140 Flex boot with walk mode

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
Did anyone at SIA get a chance to talk to Lange about this boot? I'm curious if the 130--->140 change is just a stiffer liner like the RS 130--->RS 140 or if Lange changed the plastic in the shells to beef up the stiffness. It seems like the difference in most 130--->140 flex is solely the liners.

I've been looking for the stiffest boot I can find that I can get my newly fused ankle into but coming off of a RS 130 the past couple years, I love my Langes but just want to be able to get into them easier. After trying a pair of Dalbello Krypton 130 I immediately knew that would not give me what I'm looking for so I really want to stick with an overlap 4 buckle boot.

-If the difference in the XT Free is just the liner than I may as well buy the 130 and just use my Zipfits but if the plastic is substantially stiffer than the new 140 plus my Zipfits may be the better route. Does anyone know more about these new boots?

-I've never owned boots with walk mode but Blister and other reviews say the XT 130 is the stiffest and closest to a traditional alpine boot, though slightly softer than the RS 130. Can those of you with boots with walk mode confirm how much easier it would likely be to get a fused ankle into the boot vs my RS 130. With a heated boot bag I'm fairly sure I will be able to get into my RS 130 with my fused ankle but it may be a bear so even if it's possible, it may be worth it for the XT 130 or XT Free 140 if it makes getting in and out significantly easier.

I've heard a number of people say that walk mode would indeed make it easier with a fused ankle but a couple of comments that it doesn't make it easier....so which is it? This question is based upon putting the Zipfit on first and sliding it in to nicely warmed up shells and then getting them out of colder shells but that are possibly warmed up a bit with a hair dryer. Without trying it, it sure seems like having the cuff really upright will allow my ankle to make that turn easier to slide into the shell but I'd love to hear from people who use walk mode. Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do't have my catalogs with me but I don't recall a XT Free in a 140. The stiffest half mode boots are 130's..I think from any brand.

TS
surfandski

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I do't have my catalogs with me but I don't recall a XT Free in a 140. The stiffest half mode boots are 130's..I think from any brand.

Hey Phil, I found this online yesterday: http://www.bretton.cz/assets/files/cat_lange_1819_GB_web.pdf so it does look like the new XT Freetour is now the Free and comes in either a 130 or 140 flex. The rumor is, one of Lange's skiers (Richard Permin) broke his ankle in Japan this winter and wanted a stiffer boot which drove this 140. However, the 140 only comes in LV so that won't work for me with my bad ankle. Plus I believe you have to have WTR compatible or tech bindings to use these and I don't want to have to change out some of my bindings just for a stiff boot that has walk mode. Therefore I ordered a 2018 XT 130 which is on its way.

I kind of like heavier and more damp boots but the XT Free does sound pretty sweet to get that much stiffness out of such a light touring boot. It should be interesting to watch how this new plastic technology develops.