• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New "in town" trail in Reno

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to be the District Manager for this area but retired before the trail got built. Looks like it's a good one!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The nice thing about these trails, like the lower trails on Peavine Mountain in Reno, is they stay relatively snow-free all winter. Usually. Unfortunately.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used to be the District Manager for this area but retired before the trail got built. Looks like it's a good one!
We'll have an extra bike in the stable next week. Maybe you'll want to ride with us. :D

That makes me want to hop in my truck and go for a road trip. Looks fun!
Its easy to book reservations at Chez Ziggy.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We'll have an extra bike in the stable next week. Maybe you'll want to ride with us. :D

Its easy to book reservations at Chez Ziggy.
I'm not allowed.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am planning on riding at this week if anybody wants to join me Wednesday morning.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Brian Likes Pow and I rode these trails this AM. I will start by saying you wouldn't know these trails were so new, they had a very well established feel to them. The area they have for the trails is limited and it is definitely is noticed. I am not sure how many acres they had to work with but I don't think there is much more than 5 miles of total trails, I did 3.5 with very little doubling up and there were a few connections that I didn't hit. They talk about a progressive network, green to blue to black. Without getting into each trail, which is hard because there is no labeling, in fact it was tough to find where the trail heads ever were, the blues were fairly easy, and I owuld say more teal than actual blue. The "black" or toughest trail is the one that goes up and over the 400+ft knoll which is an array of switchbacks both up and down. I understand the hardest trails are relative to the area but this black trail woudl be a blue or double blue at most resorts or parks. The toughest part of the up and over was the switchbacks which some were jsut too tight, especially on the clockwise climb.

One of the nicest things about this park is that is it jsut 15 minutes from the house, so if we get a hankering for a ride and we don't have the time to commit to head up to Truckee or to the Lake, we can ride a nice set up.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug, one of the things I really like about the trails in Summit, especially the Breck area is they are well signed. I found out that it isn't the same in Grand County. I was stopping and checking the map, counting intersections and generally having a hard time of navigating the day I rode with K west of Frasier.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug, one of the things I really like about the trails in Summit, especially the Breck area is they are well signed. I found out that it isn't the same in Grand County. I was stopping and checking the map, counting intersections and generally having a hard time of navigating the day I rode with K west of Frasier.
I will say, there is nothing here that you can get in serious trouble with. Everthing is pretty mich visable from the park and to over terrain yourself, will require a climb that will pretty much eliminate that chance. A nicely placed rock with a GREEN circle, BLUE square or BLACK diamond at the intersections would be nice though.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
These trails ate perfect for a quick afterwork ride and are well put together. I still like peavine area as they have some long loops and nice flow but more mile is always great and while its not alot of acreage it works well with the space. Overall its good to have more mileage down in the valley for winter!