• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sold NEW in plastic DPS Wailer/Nina 99 Alchemist 176cm

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Brand new from 2019, unwrapped! I bought these for my niece to celebrate finishing graduate school, and after an injury and relocation, she can’t use them. It’s too late to return.

These are the turquoise Nina 99 Alchemist, exact same ski as the Wailer 99 Alchemist, which is orange (which I own and love). So despite the color, it’s a unisex ski.
Edit: TREATED WITH PHANTOM WAX.

This is a light, yet stable ski perfect for western skiing or soft snow anywhere. However, if you find yourself on an expected hardpack day, no problem, they carve well and hold a good edge, with a playful pop out of the turn.

I skied them all over Alta and they have been fantastic. Several mornings were hardpack before things softened up, and the skis were still very fun. In 2’ of powder....awesomeness!

Some more info:
Ultra High Molecular Weight Sidewall - Sidewall construction extends the useful life of your ski, and increases edge grip throughout that time. UHMW Sidewalls create a grippy, damp, and durable feel, allowing you to let em rip with confidence.

Austrian World Cup Race Bases - Hard and Fast. These race bases will leave you with time to kill at the base area, while you wait for your riding buddies to catch up. If they aren't down by the time you hit up the lift-side waffle shack... Leave em in the dust. Remember - No friends on a groomer day.

Rockwell 48 Edges - DPS employs hardened steel to provide the edge grip required to go where others can't to get the goods.

Core
Aspen Wood Core - Aspen is a high density hardwood, renowned for its exceptional toughness, durability and stiffness.

Shape
Rocker | Camber | Rocker - Low profile rocker in the tip and tail allows the Wailer 99 to slice through snow like Japanese cutlery. Camber distributes your weight along the effective edge, for powerful turning capability on hard pack.

Additional Awesomeness
Infinite Flex Life - The Flex of a typical ski softens over time. DPS uses higher quality resins to create skis with an energetic feel that is able to endure a tremendous number of groomed gashing, pow slashing ski days.

Wide Profile Edge - Beast mode. Flat out.

Made in The USA

Asking $599 shipped within continental US. PM me if you have an offer, but post questions about the skis in this thread.

I have not posted a pic of the actual skis since they’re wrapped up in bubble wrap like Fort Knox.:)

BF580445-1B39-435C-A596-32C94CE88421.jpeg

Last edited:

applecart

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’m 5’5” 160. Advanced intermediate. I’m going to be in Taos in a couple of weeks and I was planning on demoing DPS on that mountain.

Robert Lutczyk

Booting up
Skier
I am 5’11” and 155lbs. Recently gave up on the idea of a one ski quiver for Tahoe skiing after falling in love with the Laser AX as my groomer/resort ski. I am looking for an all mountain, soft snow ski to complement my Laser. This seems like a good option, but I hear these ski very short. Would the 176 be too short for me?
I am a strong intermediate skier, not overly aggressive. In fact, my Lasers are 168cm and that length does not seem to hold me back.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am 5’11” and 155lbs. Recently gave up on the idea of a one ski quiver for Tahoe skiing after falling in love with the Laser AX as my groomer/resort ski. I am looking for an all mountain, soft snow ski to complement my Laser. This seems like a good option, but I hear these ski very short. Would the 176 be too short for me?
I am a strong intermediate skier, not overly aggressive. In fact, my Lasers are 168cm and that length does not seem to hold me back.

I am 5’10” and probably close to 170 lbs. I also have 168 cm Lasers. I tried the 184 cm Wailers and they were too long in tighter spaces, IMO. I found the 176 to be great all over Alta...High Traverse, Ballroom, glades in Catherine’s...two feet of powder....just to give you an idea of where I’ve skied mine. They are very confidence inspiring in that sort of terrain. I consider myself more of a finesse skier than an aggressive skier. The DPS rep recommended the 176 for me, and he was correct. They feel shorter on groomers, but in soft snow, you feel the whole ski. The Laser and Wailer do cover all bases (though I own other skis:rolleyes: ) My niece, who I bought them for, is about your size, and why I chose this 176 for her.

Last edited:

Robert Lutczyk

Booting up
Skier
Wendy, really appreciate your detailed answer. Looks like they might work. Now I need to think about that color :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Last edited:
TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For anyone not liking the aqua color, I have a same length pair in orange that I can pull the bindings off and sell flat. Make an offer.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
These would make good uphill skis too. Nice and light!

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Should work just fine with a Memphis Milano buff or a PDX carpet face mask :)

It so happens that my daughter Ceara Chewning manages the PDX carpet Facebook Page. Here's an article about the carpet.

And yes, that ski color would go well with a PDX carpet mask, hat, or sweater....

http://stylemagazine.com/news/2015/jan/27/pdx-factor-portland-airports-carpet-inspires-micro/

Ceara Chewning, who manages the PDX Carpet Facebook page, notes that the carpet has a certain "Je ne sais quois".

150123155818-pdx-carpet-exlarge-169_t580.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online