• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
With our son heading off to a music conservatory or college this fall I am just daydreaming of where someday we would like to move. In high school and college I wanted to move to Vail. Ever since then I/we have wanted to move to Breckenridge (where we do have a timeshare).

Any more with all of the I-70 traffic and crowds I have been thinking smaller, more remote and less expensive places.

Just a few I have been pondering:

Salida - Ski Monarch
Glenwood Springs - Sunlight
Leadville - Ski Cooper
Laramie or Ft. Collins - Snowy Range
Boise - Bogus Basin
Duluth - Ski Lutsen

I could be very satisfied with a small ski area since I spend 40 plus days a year now just skiing the Midwest not counting trips to the Rockies.

Ideally we would stay somewhat in the middle of the country to be within a days drive of family in the Midwest.

Thoughts? I have been checking the web for cost of living.

Monarch-new-base-area-lodge.jpg

Monarch

Ski-Cooper-Aerial.jpg

Ski Cooper

12713-Sunlight-650x487.jpg

Sunlight

IMG_2110.JPG

Snowy Range

IMG_2112.JPG

Bogus Basin

IMG_2113.JPG

Lutsen

@TimD59

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love Salida and Monarch. That whole area is just so unf*cked with. The ski area has a great small town vibe and is ran by a group of investors that "get it." You'd have a hard time selling me on living anywhere else in CO. Gunnison is another option. It puts you within striking distance of both Monarch and Crested Butte.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
Last year, a buddy and I went on a ski road trip (from the Midwest) and hit both Ski Cooper and Sunlight. I totally enjoyed the vibe and skiing at both places. Another place I would maybe suggest would be Powderhorn and the Grand Junction area. We really enjoyed that as well. My buddy went so far as to buy a Ski Cooper pass this past year and was going to head back out this past year for a prolonged trip. If they offer the same pass this year, it is a good deal as it had a little of tie-ins with other areas. My daughter and I are also looking at doing the same trip in 2018. It was nice to get away from any crowds, cheap lift tickets and was a bag of chips.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
With our son heading off to a music conservatory or college this fall I am just daydreaming of where someday we would like to move. In high school and college I wanted to move to Vail. Ever since then I/we have wanted to move to Breckenridge (where we do have a timeshare).

Any more with all of the I-70 traffic and crowds I have been thinking smaller, more remote and less expensive places.

Just a few I have been pondering:

Salida - Ski Monarch
Glenwood Springs - Sunlight
Leadville - Ski Cooper
Laramie or Ft. Collins - Snowy Range
Boise - Bogus Basin
Duluth - Ski Lutsen

I could be very satisfied with a small ski area since I spend 40 plus days a year now just skiing the Midwest not counting trips to the Rockies.

Ideally we would stay somewhat in the middle of the country to be within a days drive of family in the Midwest.

Thoughts? I have been checking the web for cost of living.

View attachment 22334
Monarch

View attachment 22335
Ski Cooper

View attachment 22336
Sunlight

Salida seems like the best option by far of the ones you mentioned. It is an outdoor playground and within reasonable driving distance of most of the main ski areas in Colorado. Wolf Creek is just 2 hours away.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Last year, a buddy and I went on a ski road trip (from the Midwest) and hit both Ski Cooper and Sunlight. I totally enjoyed the vibe and skiing at both places. Another place I would maybe suggest would be Powderhorn and the Grand Junction area. We really enjoyed that as well. My buddy went so far as to buy a Ski Cooper pass this past year and was going to head back out this past year for a prolonged trip. If they offer the same pass this year, it is a good deal as it had a little of tie-ins with other areas. My daughter and I are also looking at doing the same trip in 2018. It was nice to get away from any crowds, cheap lift tickets and was a bag of chips.

I just found out that our local hill in Wisconsin gets 3 free days at Cooper with the season pass. Hopefully next year will be the year to go.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_2109.JPG

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If you are talking about Boise think about Ogden. Snowbasin would make a very nice local hill.

Another that gets no love ever is Pocatello ID, Pebble Creek is a very cool ski area that gets very little love, and often looked at as a mini-Jackson Hole. You could do worse.

As Northwesterners we choose to head back to Spokane; which wouldn't be too much more driving than Boise to the Midwest. I have a season pass for 49* North and getting one for Mt. Spokane (if I don't find myself on the wrong side of Wyoming again next winter for work) total cost about $400. Coeur d'Alene is just down the road if you want somewhere a little smaller, and lots of small towns around here.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd look hard at Glenwood. Not only do you have Sunlight right there, you're an hour from the four Aspen areas, an hour from Beaver Creek, and a little more than an hour to Vail and Copper (and that's the uncrowded part of I-70).

Leadville is not quite as livable, and it's well over 10k ft, which can be problematic. (That said, I think it's good investment material right now.) Salida is super cool, but not as accessible as Glenwood. PM me if you have any more specific questions.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The one day drive to the Midwest is kind of important here. There are a lot of nice little areas scattered around the west, but they should be evaluated for the drive to the Midwest destination. I guess it depends a lot on what part of the Midwest.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The one day drive to the Midwest is kind of important here. There are a lot of nice little areas scattered around the west, but they should be evaluated for the drive to the Midwest destination. I guess it depends a lot on what part of the Midwest.
Omaha

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are talking about Boise think about Ogden. Snowbasin would make a very nice local hill.

Another that gets no love ever is Pocatello ID, Pebble Creek is a very cool ski area that gets very little love, and often looked at as a mini-Jackson Hole. You could do worse.

As Northwesterners we choose to head back to Spokane; which wouldn't be too much more driving than Boise to the Midwest. I have a season pass for 49* North and getting one for Mt. Spokane (if I don't find myself on the wrong side of Wyoming again next winter for work) total cost about $400. Coeur d'Alene is just down the road if you want somewhere a little smaller, and lots of small towns around here.

I've even thought about Lookout Mountain in Idaho. Just a couple weeks ago they had an ad for a Social Media Director -- a job which I probably would enjoy.
IMG_2114.JPG

Lookout Pass

IMG_2115.JPG

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Key question - long term access to medical care. I would move to Eagle County to retire if I could.

It is very difficult to live in the mountains close to higher end critical care not to mention world class orthopedic services. Further not to mention a generally progressive rather than rural gun toting culture. And still two hours from a world class International airport.

I'll second Glenwood Springs/Carbondale or even Grand Junction, but my soul is off in the Utah desert so I am pulled that way. Georgetown to stay close to Denver and ski Loveland? Yes, before Leadville long term. Denver rocks for cultural facilities in the west. Loveland rocks generally and is closest to Denver and forever least crowded. You'll stand in line at Cooper before Loveland.

Still. Funky vibe at 70? I'd rather have access to cultural facilities and skiing. None of us live forever.

Last edited:
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd look hard at Glenwood. Not only do you have Sunlight right there, you're an hour from the four Aspen areas, an hour from Beaver Creek, and a little more than an hour to Vail and Copper (and that's the uncrowded part of I-70).

Leadville is not quite as livable, and it's well over 10k ft, which can be problematic. (That said, I think it's good investment material right now.) Salida is super cool, but not as accessible as Glenwood. PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Yeah, I have driven through Leadville a few times and it seems to have a lot of old mining equipment laying around, junk cars, etc. But the downtown area seems kind of funky cool.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yeah, I have driven through Leadville a few times and it seems to have a lot of old mining equipment laying around, junk cars, etc. But the downtown area seems kind of funky cool.

Leadville's vibe is the extreme endurance events in the summer. Awesome summer vibe and the out your door mining history is really cool.

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

And you could pick up a historical 2 bedroom basic renovation project for under $120K. But those are long relatively isolated winters @ 10K and the surrounding mountains like Massive don't grant easy access.

I really dig Leadville, and I know several people who have their second homes there, but if I lived in Leadville I'd want a second home in Cherry Creek.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So if by one day drive to Omaha, you mean 10 hours or less, that narrows things pretty much to Colorado/Wyoming. Stretch it to 12 hours and you could add New Mexico.

Farther even... Have you heard of Red Lodge MT?

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So if by one day drive to Omaha, you mean 10 hours or less, that narrows things pretty much to Colorado/Wyoming. Stretch it to 12 hours and you could add New Mexico.

Farther even... Have you heard of Red Lodge MT?

Yeah, I have been to Red Lodge in the summer -- cool little town.

I have some friends living in Santa Fe and that looks great. My wife spent her summers in New Mexico while in college and grad school. She led hikes at the Philmont Scout Ranch. She spent time at Taos, Red River and Angel Fire.