• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Helmet - with Audio

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looking to get another helmet to use on the days I ski alone. I enjoy "background" music when by myself. Maybe some Jim Brickman piano, Sinatra or Scorpions!! Mood varies.

Anyone have a recommendation - as I have never used one before.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
You want it with built-in audio or just the ability to add your own speakers to the ear pads? I've used earbuds but sometimes they aren't comfortable.

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Was thinking the built in version.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I've become a big fan of Salomon helmets. They make one called the Brigade Audio that comes with the audio parts, don't know if they're actually installed or if the consumer has to do it. Outdoor Tech makes one of the highest rated speakers that just drop into pockets that are in many helmet ear pads. Skull Candy also makes a decent one, according to reviews anyway. I would recommend adding the speakers yourself, that way you get a better quality helmet.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While I am not one for distractions, I do not like earbuds or headphone when skiing because they block out the sounds that I need to hear around me like "On your left" or "Watch out Dude". I don't mind a helmet with audio because you can still heat those things. There are some very good aftermarket audio systems with U-Clear and Sena coming to mind. These are bluetooth enabled and IMHO work quite well. these systems allow you to listen to your music and still answer our phone. Some even have intercom systems which allow you to talk to another skier who is synced into you. Tricia and I used this feature when we were videoing people doing MA. I would be running the camera and I would be able to tell her who the next skier could go. There are limitations to this feature and it tend to be a couple of hundred yards or line of sight, whichever is closer.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I installed the Outdoor Tech Chips into my Giro helmet. I really like how seamless they are for me.

Here is a link to them.
http://www.outdoortechnology.com/Shop/Chips/
Perhaps @Matt connelly can offer some information on those since he's the one who explained some of the features to me.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I also have the outdoor tech chips and have been pleased with them so far. I've had one problem with some app conflicts on my note 4 but other than that great product.

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks guys --- looking the Outdoor Tech Chips up now. Seem like a perfect option.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Damn - $800 each time I bump my head could get spendy!

Sponsor

Staff online