• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Gravel Kings

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I know somebody (maybe @cantunamunch) was asking recently about whether or not Panaracer would be updating their line of gravel tires.

Yes:

I knew about the GKs, I was more wondering about the randonee/all road Paselas, or whether those were just redundant now.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Bicycle tire prices have really gotten into the insane category. First off they make too many different versions and sizes (making THEIR costs go up).
The folding Pasela is my go to tire for value. Paying almost motorcycle tire prices for a bike is not happening here, especially considering how long they last.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I was interested to see that road to MTB sales are 3:1 now. And MTB is their own worst enemy with their thousand and one standards..

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was interested to see that road to MTB sales are 3:1 now. And MTB is their own worst enemy with their thousand and one standards..

I think that's because the "road" category currently includes gravel bikes, which are all the rage.

Regardless, an interesting stat, since, in the last two places I've lived, I'd bet the ratio is flipped.

But have no real way of truly knowing.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
When I started in the bike shop in 1984 we didn't even have mountain bikes. Then by 1992 I don't think we even had road bikes and I thought they were dead. At least in the average rider group. And they've come storming back. For me who started out road racing it's a rediscovery of sorts. But honestly it means I don't have to hop in the car to go riding. I think a lot of folks see it that way. And if you don't go fully down the gravel hole I see the more roadie gravel bike as a sort of Swiss Army knife. Which these days is really 80% of my riding.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
When I started in the bike shop in 1984 we didn't even have mountain bikes. Then by 1992 I don't think we even had road bikes and I thought they were dead. At least in the average rider group. And they've come storming back. For me who started out road racing it's a rediscovery of sorts. But honestly it means I don't have to hop in the car to go riding. I think a lot of folks see it that way. And if you don't go fully down the gravel hole I see the more roadie gravel bike as a sort of Swiss Army knife. Which these days is really 80% of my riding.
Remember just as many people who got on the mtb train had no off road trail access and just road them on the pave. Same holds true with 'gravel'. They are more comfortable and generally have lower gears (1x be dammed), which for many is a far better option than a 'road' bike 'wanna be racer'.
They're all just bikes to me... some just have strong preferences.

Sponsor

Staff online