• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado New Expansion and gondola/lift plans for Steamboat

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They are just plans so far, no time table but its a good thing.
At least they aren't tableing them while they "wait and see" like others have done.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
totally, It's all positive and great to hear of the plans. I just dont want people to think that theres going to be new Gondi's and new terrain this season.

James

Out There
Instructor
I just dont want people to think that theres going to be new Gondi's and new terrain this season.
So what has the new gondi last season(?) added to the experience. Seems like years ago now with this last bizarre season.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do any of the improvements change the continuous skiable vertical on the mountain? I like Steamboat but it would be nice to see more runs that are 2000ft vert plus. Without the continuous vertical, it is only my 2nd favourite mountain in Colorado (Copper is #1).
I'm not the biggest steamboat fan but the Gondola and storm peak are both over 2k. Sundown is just under 2k. Those high vert runs are served by a single lift. You can also ski the entire 3.5k vertical but it does require a short traverse half way down. The only lift at copper over 2k is Super B, which is a great lift. Both ski areas are fun. There are only a handful of ski areas that have lots of runs longer than 2k continuous vert. Surprised you didn't like Aspen areas (in a different post). You might want to check out Western Canada sometime if you haven't already (Panorama, Kicking Horse, Castle, Revy, Whister, Lake Louise)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Uh oh... That was quite memorable.

In his defense...
IF you were only skiing groomers AND

Budget were a major issue AND

You had flexibility on your Whiteface days so you could drive up on a powder days whenever you wanted vs being locked in to a pre-booked plane ticket at Steamboat...

...there's an argument to be made in his favour.

When I was at Steamboat in late January 2018, the coverage in the trees was very thin. It was sad to see so much good terrain that I wasn't able to touch. I'd still rather ski there than Whiteface even in those conditions, but for someone with a razor thin budget, I could sympathize.
Given his technique (diagonal skid ... flip skis .. diagonal skid ... flip skis ...), good snow would probably be a minus on the trades.