• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Gathering Meetup Details

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
What's the crowd like mid day?

Unless the winds are roaring and 3/4 of the lifts are on wind hold, Sunday should not be bad at Stowe. For added perspective - my experience has been that it is nowhere as crowded as places such as Okemo, Killington, Hunter, Stratton, Mt Snow, or smaller hills like Jimeney Peak, Mad River or Magic that get overwhelmed on weekends when they have good conditions.

Wind is the problem - at any resort. One lift closed due to wind is worse than an additional 1,000 people on the mountain.:(

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey folks - Finally feeling vertical enough to go downstairs and touch up the skis today in preparation for next weekend. One pair is just trashed from the AltaBird gathering. After spending an hour on just one ski I've realized that they need more than I can give them. I don't have a local shop I trust. What's the best place for tunes in the Mad River Valley?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug ... See post above. I totally blame my new Pret helmet for this. It gives me a false sense of everything being quiet, cozy, and secure, when all the while I'm sticking a ski into the garbage disposal known as the High / Cirque (take your pick) Traverse. They should sell these things to school bus drivers. Seriously, though, I'm liking it. Review up eventually.

:beercheer:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
OK - looks like the fresh snow this week may not happen, and I have to choose my skis tonight, as I'm flying tomorrow. It's either :

Atomic Vantage 90 (skied these in Utah every day)
Stockli Laser SC

I'm assuming I should bring the Vantages, but what are the chances it's going to be all hard pack and bumps (in which case maybe the Stockli's)?

cmackvt

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey folks - Finally feeling vertical enough to go downstairs and touch up the skis today in preparation for next weekend. One pair is just trashed from the AltaBird gathering. After spending an hour on just one ski I've realized that they need more than I can give them. I don't have a local shop I trust. What's the best place for tunes in the Mad River Valley?

Alpine Options (Sugarbush South access road) is the shop I use for boot fitting and mounting bindings. I've heard they do a good job with tunes but have never had them tune skis for me. If I have a shop tune my skis I use Peak Performance on the Killington Access road. I just picked up the pair I used in Utah from them because like you, my skis needed a better tune then I could give them after the Utah gathering. They did a good job as usual.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If SkiSharp is still open, that's where you want to go.
Still there on the web, hopefully in the real world too. Seems like a advance arrangement place.
Coincidentally my new skis have a skisharp sticker on them.
20180318_194607.jpg

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
OK - looks like the fresh snow this week may not happen, and I have to choose my skis tonight, as I'm flying tomorrow. It's either :

Atomic Vantage 90 (skied these in Utah every day)
Stockli Laser SC

I'm assuming I should bring the Vantages, but what are the chances it's going to be all hard pack and bumps (in which case maybe the Stockli's)?

You definitely want the Vantage's. There's still a ton of soft snow everywhere in the trees.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We'll find a spot to do a "welcome to the trees" session. I'll show you my one trick for trees.

Danny

aka Cometjo
Skier
I was able to make dinner reservations for eight people Sunday at 7:00pm at the Matterhorn in Stowe.

Unfortunately, I’m not having any luck in finding Waterbury restaurants that take reservations on Friday or Saturday evening. I’ve tried Blackback, Reservoir and Prohibition Pig — no go. I’ll try some more... maybe something closer to Sugarbush for Friday night. I’ll post to this thread if I find something.

I wish I could come to this gathering (but Kristy would not appreciate my absence while we await the arrival of our little nugget) - BUT if I was coming I would suggest the Mad Taco in Waitsfield for post Sugarbush or Mad River eats - great beer on tap, great carnitas. No frill and no reservations necessary (or available).

http://www.themadtaco.com/waitsfield/

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
A reservation at the Matterhorn?

I have reservations about eating there also.

How can you possibly go wrong with a pint of Shed Hellbrook and a visit to the restroom (for the decor) :huh:

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be at a lodge belonging to my ski club on route 100 in Rochester, but will not have transportation as I am going up on a bus trip. If anyone is passing through there Saturday morning on the way to the Bush and back at night and can pick me up it would be cool and I'd buy some brews. Otherwise i will ski with the club at K (I have a spring pass). I can also show you a trick i learned that can save $$ on dental floss and teeth cleaning.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wish I could make this... I have to be in Arizona Thur-Sun.. Thinking of getting a 1/2 day or so in at the Arizona Snow Bowl on Thursday. Anyone ever ski there?

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be at a lodge belonging to my ski club on route 100 in Rochester, but will not have transportation as I am going up on a bus trip. If anyone is passing through there Saturday morning on the way to the Bush and back at night and can pick me up it would be cool and I'd buy some brews. Otherwise i will ski with the club at K (I have a spring pass). I can also show you a trick i learned that can save $$ on dental floss and teeth cleaning.

Next year we should coordinate the Central Jersey Ski Club lodge schedule with the New England gathering, so we can offer up inexpensive lodging to Pugski members.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed Mike. I told a few people about it but unfortunately plans were already set for the same weekend as one of our bus trips. Something to think about next year.

Sponsor