• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Gathering location

• Killington and Sugarbush

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Stowe and Sugarbush

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing against Sugarbush, but I would guess that we have way more posters from Stowe and Killington if you want to choose VT mountains. They're just so far apart, but I've never been to Stowe...

The rationale for Sugarbush (and Killington) is that a ton on Pugs this year have the Ikon pass, which covers those two hills but not Stowe.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If we need a blanket at Stowe on the last weekend of March, I’ll likely pass on the 9ish hour drive.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The rationale for Sugarbush (and Killington) is that a ton on Pugs this year have the Ikon pass, which covers those two hills but not Stowe.

The rationale for Sugarbush being in regardless is that it's part of the Ikon pass and the Mountain Collective pass. i.e., both of the popular passes include Sugarbush.

Plus it's right next to Mad River Glen, so depending on how the season shapes up, we can always call an audible and spend a day there.

I thought about a Killington and Stowe type event, but the distance between them is too great (closing in on two hours, especially taking into account potential storm driving). I'd like to arrange another Saturday night group dinner somewhere and a dinner out means that the transport to the "other" location is going to be a fairly late night, etc.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If we need a blanket at Stowe on the last weekend of March, I’ll likely pass on the 9ish hour drive.

Well, there's a jinx if I ever saw one. :nono: Ask Kevin or Jim Kenney about the mid March gathering at Sugarloaf a few years back, if you think March can't still be blanket time. :eek:

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Well, there's a jinx if I ever saw one. :nono: Ask Kevin or Jim Kenney about the mid March gathering at Sugarloaf a few years back, if you think March can't still be blanket time. :eek:

Rumor has it that we even skied at some funky Maine area... Camelback? Horseback? Something like that. Nobody's ever skied there again, so... who knows.

:(

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not saying it can’t happen, just that might be where I draw the line.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Sorry I can't make this soirée because I'll be house sitting in Utah. I know you guys will have a blast.
Photos from Gathering on St. Paddy's Day 2014:
It was 8 degs IIRC, facemasks anyone?
sugarloaf 8 degs st. paddys day 2014.jpg

They call this spring skiing at Sugarloaf :)
sugarloaf mar 2014.jpg
Needham, I titled this photo "Frigid Spindrift"
sugarload needham frigid spindrift.jpg

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I do want to come, it would be my first gathering, after all these years of epic and pugski.
Sugarbush is probably my favorite Eastern resort, so I'm fine with not having a pass there. Maybe we can hook up with my friend John Egan!

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Well actually there was that Skier Village gathering.at Berkshire East in 2014.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Since Big Sky is out for me (daughters' annual visit is the same time) and since wife and I hope to travel some during winters now that I'm a part-time teacher at Breck, a visit to Stowe could be one choice. I enjoyed Stowe back in the days of blankets on the single chair (do they still do that?), but wife has never skied east of Michigan.

It would be pretty great to meet and ski with you, so I hope you make it. It would even be worth going down to Killington to ski with you.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Well I am partial to Mount Mansfield, sorry I cant get you guys free passes anymore.....

I am down to guide a Stowe day if it ends up there, its always hard to get off a weekend day.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Yep, would love to ski with you if you make it out here and show you around our little mountain.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
You should see the "little mountains" I grew up on in Michigan!!

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Never been to a gathering and would love to. I’m a maybe. Won’t know until maybe early March. Either location works.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, I get it, I just want a rationale to go ski Stowe, but a 2 hr drive from my place at Killington might be too far.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am looking forward to meeting you all this year, in looking at the dates, I have a 5 day pass prebooked at Sunday River starting on March 30. Are people skiing on 3/29 and if so where? I will try and come. Anyone want to ski at SR for a few days? There is Mt Abram and Black mtn nearby and a 1 hour ride to Wildcat.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
I am looking forward to meeting you all this year, in looking at the dates, I have a 5 day pass prebooked at Sunday River starting on March 30. Are people skiing on 3/29 and if so where? I will try and come. Anyone want to ski at SR for a few days? There is Mt Abram and Black mtn nearby and a 1 hour ride to Wildcat.

The NEG has traditionally been a four day affair, so there will be a Pug Gathering somewhere on the 29th. My tentative plan was to visit Sugarbush for the first two days, or maybe call an audible and head across the street to Mad River Glen for a day. Or make it a five day event with MRG on Thursday, Bush, Bush, etc.

MRG has usually been first on the venue simply so that attendees have fresh legs. :D

Essentially, plan on being in the Mad River Valley for the first half and then we'll migrate the show to the "other" venue (Stowe or Killington).

There is never any requirement for people to show up for the duration of the event; if you can attend for the duration, that's great. If you can only attend one or two days, I'd still love to have you join.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll likely show up for either choice. Stowe is a better mountain, but the pass options are better for the other two. It may be a bit better for me to ski Mon at K,since it is a bit closer to Albany or Manchester airports for the flight home Mon PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online