• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Day - New Wisdom

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You know, this thread got me thinking...don't you think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly?

The backstory to that game is pretty interesting. Invented by a woman as an anti-capitalist lesson, then stolen by male capitalists. IIRC.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I heard this one on the chairlift today:daffy:

"It took me a long time to figure out that I am a slow learner".

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
So, I'm sitting here having my coffee by the fire and as I plan my day I'm thinking, you know...It really doesn't make a difference what temperature a room is, it's always room temperature.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Quote of the day:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today's wisdom fits this amazing day of skiing powder with my best buddy @Philpug

Each day is sacred.

If you are spending too many days doing things that bring you unhappiness, then you are not honoring the gift of your time on earth.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Quote of the day:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Anybody who has ever designed software (raises hand!) is well aware of this one. The number of "you thought you could do what???" moments I've had in the software industry are too numerous to count.

I imagine various other industries (customer service comes to mind...) realize that "fools are ingenious" on a regular basis as well.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Anybody who has ever designed software (raises hand!) is well aware of this one. The number of "you thought you could do what???" moments I've had in the software industry are too numerous to count.

I imagine various other industries (customer service comes to mind...) realize that "fools are ingenious" on a regular basis as well.
Anyone that has ever worked retail and yes that includes ski sales know how ingenious some fools can be, especially during a full moon.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Never be ashamed of who you are. That's your parents job.
Your never ashamed of your children, just a little disappointed with some of the choices they have made. It is also interesting when they come back ten years later and say they could have done things differently.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Your never ashamed of your children, just a little disappointed with some of the choices they have made. It is also interesting when they come back ten years later and say they could have done things differently.

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.

--Like many pithy sayings, it's been attributed to Mark Twain... Whether or not he said it is open to debate.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Some from Terry Pratchett, RIP. His books never failed to entertain me and make me think, which is a good trick for a lightweight fantasy romp.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”

“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

“If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you.”

“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.”

And my absolute favorite, which gives me shivers every time I get to this spot in the book:

“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This one hits close to home for me because I grew up being a giver, but I had a hard time accepting gifts or assistance from others.
One day my sister said, "Tricia, you need to learn the gift of gratitude. You know that feeling you get when you give someone something, or you pick up the check, or you help someone out? You're robbing others of that feeling when you don't allow them to help you or give you something."

In time I've been in a position where I needed to accept help and allow others to give and I've grown to appreciate both sides of gratitude. This is something I had a deeper discussion with @dondenver about a few years ago.

So this, was in my daily devotion today.
Our ability to receive is equally important to your ability to give.

Have you ever brought a special gift, working hard just to get it, only to be refused by the person you were giving it to? That didn't feel right, did it? Our relationships are greatly enhanced when we become not only generous givers, but generous receivers as well. When we know how to accept gladly, wholeheartedly, embracing the gift as an extension of the giver. It takes both giving and receiving for care and generosity to flow unimpeded.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”

Reminds me of this:
the_difference.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You are what you think of all day long.

Day after day your thoughts shape you like dripping water shapes rock. Pay attention to what you are habitually thinking about, - are your thoughts serving you well?

Sponsor