• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Day - New Wisdom

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You don't tug on superman's cape, You don't spit into the wind, You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger, And you don't mess around with Jim…

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You don't tug on superman's cape, You don't spit into the wind, You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger, And you don't mess around with Jim…
You must have been an infant when that song was new.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I just revisited some passages I'd highlighted in a book that came to me at just the right time:

No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva by Pema Chodron

* We can transform the regret that we’re basically bad and wish we weren’t into the understanding that we’re basically good and don’t want to keep covering that over.

* I once asked Thrangu Rinpoche how to work with my anger toward my mother. He told me I should experiment for awhile with resenting her and see how that felt. Then I should remember any kindness she showed me as a child and try appreciating her for a week or two. In the end, I could make my own decision about which attitude to cultivate for the rest of my life!

* Even we baby bodhisattvas don’t design our lives to escape the chaos of the world; we go into the thick of things and work with whatever we find. Samsara becomes our practice ground, our boot camp, so to speak. If we find we continually get hooked into the drama, we temporarily retreat to work on ourselves.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
When my kids were little and we would go hiking in the mountains, I would tell them, (and I tell the grandkids now) "Don't climb up anything unless you know how to get down off of it."

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A lot of things you think are important, are just urgent, but not important. Focus on what really matters.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A lot of things you think are important, are just urgent, but not important. Focus on what really matters.
Importance-Vs-Urgency.gif

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I've noticed that when I get stressed out, the temptation to do low/low items gets really high.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Well it's a very common saying, almost cliche that is often attributed to Confucius, but I think it comes from Lao Tzu: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." So often I get hung up on how much effort or time or energy something will take that I just never start. Wherever it is you want to go, just take the first step.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
People are always judging each other and, the truth is, they're not very good at it. Don't put a lot of concern into what people think of you. You weren't created to please and entertain everyone. You were created to be you.

Sometimes it takes a while to learn this but if we live long enough and make the usual many, many mistakes in life we come to the realization eventually that you can't please everyone. That it is not worth the effort to even try and that if we have only a few real friends in our life we are lucky. Be yourself.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thinking outside the box typically means nothing more than thinking inside a slightly bigger box.

I would tend to agree with you on that. Except when it comes to my wife and her sisters. They tend to think outside the box because they have no clue where the box is and /or what a box looks like. :nono:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you get to a fork in the road...see if you can find my knife too.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Saw this as the header of my morning cup of wisdom and thought it was interesting, especially after an encounter I had with someone who was clearly using tactics of diminishing some folks around her to make herself look better.
14222222_10154521980082650_862861537268437280_n.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online