• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sponsored New Brand Introduction: Rollerblade!

https://www.skiessentials.com/

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor

We're excited to announce a new brand, and really a whole new product category for SkiEssentials.com, Rollerblade! Rollerblade has been the leader in the in-line skate world since the company formed back in the 1980s. In-line skating (more commonly referred to as rollerblading, despite that being a brand name) is a whole lot of fun and is awesome cross training for skiing. Work on your balance, build muscle, all while burning 400-700 calories per hour (slightly more than running!)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@SkiEssentials Are you going to also carry the replacement wheels? Coincidentally, I got the RB80 ~2 weeks ago. Just learning now how to skate and starting to go out on the asphalt. I think I will be needing new wheels soon. Hoping I don't wear through the next set as quickly -- I have mainly been learning to stop reliably, which I guess chews up the wheels a good bit.

Last edited:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@Seldomski, look for ~ 84A (durometer) replacement wheels, they'll last longer and give you better roll then softer wheels.

Thanks, I'll look for those as replacements.I can probably get a couple more weeks out of these. Will going to larger diameter wheels make them last even longer? I may have to change the frame to do that, but may save money in the long run because wheels are $$.

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
@SkiEssentials Are you going to also carry the replacement wheels? Coincidentally, I got the RB80 ~2 weeks ago. Just learning now how to skate and starting to go out on the asphalt. I think I will be needing new wheels soon. Hoping I don't wear through the next set as quickly -- I have mainly been learning to stop reliably, which I guess chews up the wheels a good bit.

Right now we don't have any replacement parts, but I definitely think that's something we'll pick up if Rollerblade proves to be a popular brand for us.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Right now we don't have any replacement parts, but I definitely think that's something we'll pick up if Rollerblade proves to be a popular brand for us.

I recommend knee pads and wrist protectors.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What a coincidence. I was at Tecnica Groups headquarters yesterday and had an interesting discussion about Rollerblade and their “Skate to Ski” program.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Honestly, I think I'm wearing out my (3 x)125mm wheels at about the same rate as my (4 x)110's and if memory serves me, my first skates which were a 5 x 80mm setup.

2 Wheelsets/season for me. And I already have more skate days for 2018 than ski days.

I was just starting to think about A2A again...are you going to NYC or Athens?

What a coincidence. I was at Tecnica Groups headquarters yesterday and had an interesting discussion about Rollerblade and their “Skate to Ski” program.

Every stride is a turn :) unfortunately most don't get good enough at skating to realise that truism.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Having been part owner of a small roller skating rink with indoor and outdoor rentals in the late 70s, early 80s, I can tell you that the wide roller skate platform is very similar to a ski and short radius parallel linked "carved turns" on roller skates is very doable.

Bearings for both roller blades and skates can be "speed tuned" by removing the stock grease (soak in carburetor cleaner/de-greaser,) from semi-precision bearings and replacing with a couple of drops of higher quality lubricant like Tri-Flow (don't waste your time with WD 40). The result is wheels that spin wicked fast.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Bearings for both roller blades and skates can be "speed tuned" by removing the stock grease (soak in carburetor cleaner/de-greaser,) from semi-precision bearings and replacing with a couple of drops of higher quality lubricant like Tri-Flow (don't waste your time with WD 40). The result is wheels that spin wicked fast.

Yup ...just don't remove the outer shields or they will be sand/grit lubricated in 10 miles or less. :roflmao:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2 Wheelsets/season for me. And I already have more skate days for 2018 than ski days.

I was just starting to think about A2A again...are you going to NYC or Athens?

Every stride is a turn :) unfortunately most don't get good enough at skating to realise that truism.
QFT!

...maybe Duluth. My friends really like the North Shore marathon's rolling hills. Plus they still have a good turnout. Little wonder in that their sports arena's when not in use allow inline skating, year round!
At any rate and in comparison to North Shore, NYC prospect park is a battle of attrition, I could be persuaded if people say let's do it. OTT, I'm not an early riser and never function well at those crack of the dawn events.

Actually, the river drive where we skate has been resembling the moon! Desperately needs to be repaved! All I saw last weekend were spray painted outlines around the fissures and potholes. I'm sure we'll only have more tar snakes and tar pits to look forward too. Motivation to join the speed skaters at 7:30 am has been low this year and I've been spending more time running around in the woods then skating and am in no shape for A2A, but that could turn around quickly if the city were to repave the river drives! Roads have ~ an eight-year lifespan, we're lucky if our city repaves once every sixteen years!

James

Out There
Instructor
I thought rollerblading was...dead except for hockey playing in places like LA.
I did a halfpipe once on blades. 1st time, right down on butt.

Anyone ever seen those old heel brake pads that shot sparks when used? That was cool.