• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
So, I've just spent three days at Whistler/Blackcomb skiing the steeps with Extremely Canadian. Day 1 was storm skiing with some nice soft snow where it was deposited by the wind and some firmer stuff where it was scoured. Day 2 was leftovers, and then it got cold, the snow set up (mainly), and dried out. Day 1 and 2 I skied a Rossi Soul 7 HD (available from Extremely Canadian for their guests) and it was a pretty good ski for the terrain -- easy to butter, but too short of a turn radius and not stiff enough for me. I weigh 195 and am considering going for my Level 3 this year.

On Day 3, I skied my old Kastle MX98's -- this pair is 174 and is mounted with a Duke binding. The snow was much stiffer, but the ski was difficult to ski. I love this ski is soft snow, but have difficulty with it in the chopped up firm snow -- there's little forgiveness to the ski and I found it difficult to be supple in the lower leg with it. Perhaps it was the conditions.

The guide (a CSIA Level 4) thinks the Dukes are the problem -- too much stack height and too much rigidity that stiffens the ski and makes the narrow sweet spot even smaller. So, what do you think? Should I nix the dukes and mount a Look Pivot? Or go for a different ski?

I wanted to demo the Kastle BMX 105HP, but the dealer only had the BMX105. The rest of my quiver:

Kastle RX12 gs
Kastle RX12 sl
Kastle MX84
Kastle MX98

Mike

Sponsor

Staff online