• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear New AT Setup, Who here tours?

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Did you at least learn from it?

I desperately want to post on this thread, but my feet still hate AT boots. I suspect it may be an anatomy problem rather than a boot problem - in which case I may never be able to tour, which would make me very sad. I made it 1.75 miles on an XC trail last weekend before my feet were screaming too much to continue.

Im sure there is a solution to your issue. There has to be.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Much lighter setup now. :D

IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0299.jpeg

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
That was fast.

I know. :eek::doh::doh::doh::D

The setup is awesome on the snow the skis are quick but hold a good edge when needed. Very easy to control the edges on slick slopes. Handled grabby pockets of windblown snow very well. Not the lightest setup (well, 5 pounds lighter than my other setup!) but I am a big guy and I ski somewhat fast and hard at times. Feels very well balanced.

JPM

Booting up
Skier
I know. :eek::doh::doh::doh::D

The setup is awesome on the snow the skis are quick but hold a good edge when needed. Very easy to control the edges on slick slopes. Handled grabby pockets of windblown snow very well. Not the lightest setup (well, 5 pounds lighter than my other setup!) but I am a big guy and I ski somewhat fast and hard at times. Feels very well balanced.

Five pounds lighter, sure makes it more fun on the up.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Im sure there is a solution to your issue. There has to be.

Three pairs of boots so far, two boot fitters, very few boot models even an option for some reason.

The balls of my feet get extremely painful - sort of pre-numb but never numb out, just hurt hurt hurt - as I'm skinning. I get the same thing hiking, but it takes 5-6 miles and isn't as bad. My hiking shoes are much wider and more flexible at the sides than ski boots, of course.

I can wear these AT boots around the house for hours without issue, so it's hard to predict. Mountain Outfitters in Breck lets you demo boots and skis, so I may be able to test drive some options.

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
Three pairs of boots so far, two boot fitters, very few boot models even an option for some reason.

The balls of my feet get extremely painful - sort of pre-numb but never numb out, just hurt hurt hurt - as I'm skinning. I get the same thing hiking, but it takes 5-6 miles and isn't as bad. My hiking shoes are much wider and more flexible at the sides than ski boots, of course.

I can wear these AT boots around the house for hours without issue, so it's hard to predict. Mountain Outfitters in Breck lets you demo boots and skis, so I may be able to test drive some options.
I’ve had quiet the journey getting my boots AT boots set up as well, and not a pleasant journey. Still not there yet but hoping my latest session with the heat gun and clamps will have worked.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Got around to weighting my Ski Gear for personal amusement and here are the results for future reference:

Ski Gear Weights:

Moment Deathwish (112mm wide, 190cm long) (16’-17’) w/ Marker Baron XPF: 3.384 kg + 3.462 kg = 15.10 LB

Head Monster 88 (88mm wide, 184cm long) (16’-17’) w/ Marker Griffon ID: 3.190 kg + 3.186 kg = 14.06 LB

Black Crows Navis (102mm wide, 185.4cm long) (17’) w/ Dynafit Rad2.0 FT: 2.440 kg + 2.414 kg = 10.70 LB

BOOTS:

Lange RS130 (16’) 27.5 (fitted): 2.320 kg + 2.318 kg = 10.22 LB

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120 27.5 (stock): 1.678 kg + 1.686 kg = 7.41 LB

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never toured before. I used to xski in HS until I started to downhill.

A few weekends ago, I hiked up a small old ski hill in 3' of snow. That kinda sucked. On the top I put my skis on and herringboned over to another old run. Revelation, this was kinda fun and not sinking.

So know I think I need to get some touring bindings and boots. I need new boots anyways, so do I get one for both to begin or see if the Ultras will work. Hope to be seeing boot fitter in Fall.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm in the process of joining the club, I bought a pair of Salomon S/Lab MTN boots just a few weeks ago on a clearance sale. Then I got a really good deal on a pair of 190cm Icelantic Pioneer 109's.. I still have not decided if I'm going to wait for the Shift binding or get a pair of fritschi tecton bindings for them. I'm leaning toward the Shift just so I can use my regular pair of Lange XT 130's for resort pow skiing, but the fritschi is lighter and probably cheaper.

I'm looking forward to next season and getting out and exploring around the powerlines and various trails in the hills and valleys near my house. I am especially looking forward to spring skinning and skiing with my dog after work once my home ski area shuts down. It's been 4 weeks since closing day and there is still excellent coverage on the north facing runs.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm in the process of joining the club, I bought a pair of Salomon S/Lab MTN boots just a few weeks ago on a clearance sale. Then I got a really good deal on a pair of 190cm Icelantic Pioneer 109's.. I still have not decided if I'm going to wait for the Shift binding or get a pair of fritschi tecton bindings for them. I'm leaning toward the Shift just so I can use my regular pair of Lange XT 130's for resort pow skiing, but the fritschi is lighter and probably cheaper.

I'm looking forward to next season and getting out and exploring around the powerlines and various trails in the hills and valleys near my house. I am especially looking forward to spring skinning and skiing with my dog after work once my home ski area shuts down. It's been 4 weeks since closing day and there is still excellent coverage on the north facing runs.

The shift binding is worth waiting for! It is just perfect for double duty. I skied a pair of 19' QST 106's (188cm) with them and really they just skied like a good alpine binding. The Pioneer 109 is a pretty heavy and burly ski so a traditional pin toe is not the best match for it I would think. I would put the Shift binding or a frame binding on that thing.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The shift binding is worth waiting for! It is just perfect for double duty. I skied a pair of 19' QST 106's (188cm) with them and really they just skied like a good alpine binding. The Pioneer 109 is a pretty heavy and burly ski so a traditional pin toe is not the best match for it I would think. I would put the Shift binding or a frame binding on that thing.
I would look at the Salomon mtn.
Very light and burly. Probably the best binding to prevent press releases.

No reason to get complicated bindings, that in any case would not be doable enough for resort skiing in Alpine boots.
Just look at the marker kingpin failures this year.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've got side reasoning for my binding and ski choices anyways. Where I live, if i were to do any "proper" touring and backcountry skiing as most of you are familiar with, it would involve about a 3 hour drive to get somewhere with "real" mountains and require a sled to get close enough. I don't want to do that, I want to take a quick lap after work on the hill I live on. I've got about 800 vertical feet of a cleared powerline and part of the Pipeline access road coming off the top of a hill near my house, that's going to be my main skiing area with this setup. Weight is not a particular concern as there isn't really a ton of vert or distance to cover, and I would like to be able to ski and enjoy the boots and skis at my local area so I can get some more use out of them.

I'm honestly looking for that holy grail 50/50 set up but I've got multiple pairs of other skis to choose from on any given day so I wouldn't be skiing my touring gear inbounds in conditions that are not conducive to it. A big and somewhat heavy ski like the Icelantic Pioneer 109 is ok to me, as is putting a beefier and heavier binding like the Shift on it. It's going to see mostly resort days and single laps near my house after work. My resort days are way way lighter than any of you think.. majority of the season I share a 700 acre 42 run mountain with about 200 other people. Plenty of space and snow for everyone.

Oh yeah, the reason I'm only considering the Shift and the Fristich Tecton is because they both have elasticity in the toe and the heels for release. Reducing the potential chance of injury is incredibly important to me.. I don't want to miss any days of skiing!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I would look at the Salomon mtn.
Very light and burly. Probably the best binding to prevent press releases.

No reason to get complicated bindings, that in any case would not be doable enough for resort skiing in Alpine boots.
Just look at the marker kingpin failures this year.

a) the Salomon mtn is just a nice evolution of a standard tech binding. There is nothing in them that makes them less likely to pre-release except for beefier clamping forces at the toe. Ideal clamping force varies ski to skier -- so if you're a big, fast skier, maybe its better than a speed turn, but if you don't need a high release value its no more immune from pre-releases.

b) The kingpins failures don't have anything to do with complicated binding. They are mostly in the toe which isn't more complicated than a regular pin toe and are most certainly the result of bad manufacturing. The Vipec and the Tecton are the most complicated tech bindings out there (in the NA market) and aren't failing because of complications. Shifts are likely to be far more durable than the Kingpins for resort skiing since there is no use of the pins during the skiing part.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
a) the Salomon mtn is just a nice evolution of a standard tech binding. There is nothing in them that makes them less likely to pre-release except for beefier clamping forces at the toe. Ideal clamping force varies ski to skier -- so if you're a big, fast skier, maybe its better than a speed turn, but if you don't need a high release value its no more immune from pre-releases.

b) The kingpins failures don't have anything to do with complicated binding. They are mostly in the toe which isn't more complicated than a regular pin toe and are most certainly the result of bad manufacturing. The Vipec and the Tecton are the most complicated tech bindings out there (in the NA market) and aren't failing because of complications. Shifts are likely to be far more durable than the Kingpins for resort skiing since there is no use of the pins during the skiing part.
I have the g3 ion, which has a lot of clamping force and I compared them with the Salomon mtn. The MTN has a ton more clamping force.

I would ski the MTN unlocked in any terrain, while I wouldn't dream to do this with the speed turn.

And I wouldn't do any binding, including the shift in the resort on a daily basis.

No reason to.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I switched, am glad I did! (those of a certain age will get the phrase)

I switched from a heavy "converted down hill" set up, to a light weight set up.
Namely G3 Reverends, Dynafit "minimalist" sans brakes even. And a pair of Dalebello Sherpa 7/3 boots. Very light on the climb.

Still my legs are crying before the start of the down hill. I can't imagine trading off up hill easy for down hill "Burliness".

Hats off to young legs!

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I switched, am glad I did! (those of a certain age will get the phrase)

I switched from a heavy "converted down hill" set up, to a light weight set up.
Namely G3 Reverends, Dynafit "minimalist" sans brakes even. And a pair of Dalebello Sherpa 7/3 boots. Very light on the climb.

Still my legs are crying before the start of the down hill. I can't imagine trading off up hill easy for down hill "Burliness".

Hats off to young legs!
Or, get in better shape

Sponsor

Staff online