• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear New AT setup thoughts/review from someone coming back to Alpine Touring...

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
2020 Nordica Strider 130 pro
and Atomic Shift binding.

I haven’t had an Alpine Touring set up in quite a few years, but I did have quite a few in the early 90’s..
The old silverettas and quite a few others.

I admit, I had a couple levels of avy certs @20yrs ago, and at the time even an ASI guide cert when I was guiding a bit with EricD's AllMountainSkiPros but it’s been years since I’ve spent any time in the backcountry. Kids, a non ski job and more recently, the extra traffic in the backcountry and snowmobiles turned me off to it, but with all resorts shut down and a huge storm it seemed a good time to resurrect that part of my life…
So,
I purchased a Shift binding from Blue Zone sports (thx Tricia), and a Nordica 130 Strider 130 boot and mounted them up on a Kastle I had a demo binder on.
I now have 6 days on the setup and thought I’d share my thoughts on the new gear…
First off, the boot:
I am used to skiing a hight performance boot, my everyday boot for the last decade + has been a Nordica Doberman world cup 130, 93mm plug, sculpted out to fit very well and softened dramatically for my 160 finesse skiing. Any boot with tech fittings was probably going to be a big adjustment, but the nordica strider 130 felt right in the shop, if quite a bit too wide. I ended up going a full size down (my dobie is a 305bsl, and I bought a 295bsl in the strider), and stretching the length to get a more performance fit. After a few tweaks, including going to my leather lace up liner, the fit is great and I can think about the performance instead of the pain and break in…
The position and flex and feel of this boot is great. Feels supportive and progressive, super easy to walk/climb in, but skis like a solid alpine boot should! The buckles work well, walk/ski lever is quick and intuitive, and I may even ski these in the resort a bit next year, we’ll see.
Definitely recommended if the fit works for you.
Contrast these to the AT boots from the old days, and I’m super impressed. I went through a handful and never had a boot I liked, to the point that I had installed a vibram sole on my tecnica 130 race shell back then. This new gen is great!

Shift Binding:
This was also a revelation, this binding climbs so much better than the bindings I’ve owned and skis like an Alpine binding (at my weight in pow anyway). Position and feel are super comfortable. I used to have issues with the delta and would have to work hard to get balanced, this shift is just direct and easy! Transitions aren't tough either, not a quick as some, but I'm not Rando racing..
Cons: lever to lock down into the climb mode slips down occasionally. Not as light as pure tech set up, but more versatile and “normal” feeling for those of us who don’t always ski tech fittings.

Great to be back on an AT setup, enjoying the setup, fresh snow and definitely keeping my social distance with this healthy choice...

Video link of yesterday skiing the new setup...!
Cheers, W

skiing my new AT setup

Last edited:
TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
A couple of other toys to touch on:

The new skins are so much better than the old ones I had hanging around. I had old bca's the worked for a the first couple days, but they are tougher to separate, don't stick as well to skis, traction less, but glide less as well.
New Pomoco skins are super great traction, great glide, easy to use and amazingly light. Wow!

Skis:
I started with an old bmx 108, and wasn't happy on it. So many variables with boot/binding/ski... I wasn't sure what was bugging me, so I swapped the Shift on to my normal powder ski, BMX 107 181 non hp, and Wow, everything fell into place! A ski I knew worked well, and all of a sudden, everything worked together as it should!

1 more video file of AT ski pow a couple days ago, pow8s.

pow8sATgear

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice clips.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Shifts are revelation. That Kastle BMX probably does just fine up and down even if it's not the lightest. I prioritize going down so I don't have any true "touring" skis...I've just put Kingpins and Shifts on lighter all-purpose skis and that works for me. That's awesome you are getting back out there. If I wasn't trapped on the East coast right now...I'd be doing same. Keep earning those turns!

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking good Wade ! Your videos have all of us on the sidelines jealous. Your smile at the bottom tells the story ! Glad my old BMX-105 still have a good home, I almost re-bought another set of non-HP when I saw them on close-out. Stay Well !

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Damn that looks like fun!
I have shifts on my Citadels. Now I just need a boot with a tech fitting.
Hmmmmmm. thinking....thinking....

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
yep, that 105 is darn good ski, thx again arl67!
I liked the HP, but I like this one better, especially for this application.

I sure don't feel the weight, but as I said, no randonnne racin' here... maybe that extra little weight will just make me stronger for mtb season!

Thx!
W

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad you like your new setup. I have a similar setup and had a great time on it yesterday. I am jealous of your Western snow, though.
7675.jpeg
7673.jpeg

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, that snow was amazing. Not always though...
crust on top today after warm day sat.

nice pics!

cheers!
w

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
A couple of other toys to touch on:

The new skins are so much better than the old ones I had hanging around. I had old bca's the worked for a the first couple days, but they are tougher to separate, don't stick as well to skis, traction less, but glide less as well.
New Pomoco skins are super great traction, great glide, easy to use and amazingly light. Wow!

Skis:
I started with an old bmx 108, and wasn't happy on it. So many variables with boot/binding/ski... I wasn't sure what was bugging me, so I swapped the Shift on to my normal powder ski, BMX 107 181 non hp, and Wow, everything fell into place! A ski I knew worked well, and all of a sudden, everything worked together as it should!

1 more video file of AT ski pow a couple days ago, pow8s.

pow8sATgear

Which Pomoca skins are you using?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn that looks like fun!
I have shifts on my Citadels. Now I just need a boot with a tech fitting.
Hmmmmmm. thinking....thinking....
When I read how light the Citadel is, the first thing I thought was what an awesome 50/50 ski it would make

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
When I read how light the Citadel is, the first thing I thought was what an awesome 50/50 ski it would make

1717g for the 184cm is fantastic for a ski with its capabilities. Definitely a strong option to keep in mind for a future purchase.

Sponsor

Staff online