• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New 2021 Sweet Protection Trooper 2Vi Mips Helmet Review (and a bit on Giro Range)

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Quick review here.

I had the 2018-2019 Sweet Protection Trooper Mips helmet for the 2019-2021 seasons. I crashed last year pretty good. Even though there was no visible wear, we erred on the side of caution and sought to replace it.

Sweet Protection offers a 40% discount crash replacement program. SP is really easy to work with. After walking through some intake and sending some helmet pictures, I received a one-time discount code. So I used it to buy the new Trooper. My new helmet arrived today.

Here's a video on the new trooper changes:
In my opinion, the video is accurate in terms of changes and benefits.

Here's a quick comparison and why I'm unfortunately returning it.

Old trooper. It's a tank. Pretty heavy and a higher profile than most helmets I've used. But it's also a tank and I liked that when skiing. I got used to the weight and height of it. Sometimes it was annoying when wearing a hood because range of motion was a bit restricted (I wear Arcteryx Cassiar and Beta AR jackets), but overall, a great helmet. Great earpieces for adding speakers. Very comfortable. The old helmet also fit all my lenses just fine. I was skiing Flight Deck, Oakley XM, Anon M3s and recently added Giro Contour. These all fit just fine into the helmet. No gaps. The height profile and weight scored low on style points BUT what matters is I crashed with minor issues. I felt very confident in this helmet.

New Trooper: Definitely lighter, definitely better profile. Hood fits better. Very comfortable. Looks a bit better. Still feels solid and tank-like. Would have been an easy keeper...BUT only my Flight Decks fit. Anons and Giro's have noticable gaps, up to over a half inch. I could kind of see my forehead. ARGH!

SP has a sticker on the helmet advertizing that the helmet has adaptive fit, but it's adaptive fit is specific only to SP goggles. SP makes good goggles, but I'm not dropping another $130+ to buy SP lenses just to fit the helmet.

I had also bought a Giro Range Mips. Was waiting to compare it to the SP Trooper. That Giro helmet fits all goggles. The helmet also is lower profile and light. The Trooper feels a bit more solid, but not noticeably. The only complaint I have with the Giro Range is the speaker inserts are definitely not as comfortable as the Trooper. It took a lot of work to properly fit those speakers in.

Such a bummer. That one change with the Trooper matters unfortunately and so I need to send it back.

I would still definitely recommend the new Trooper if you run SP Goggles and/or Flight Decks and/or you can confirm your existing goggles fit. They're a great company to work with with solid products.

Hope this was helpful.

Sponsor

Staff online