• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Hot wax, cool, scrape with Mantac sharpened plexi, hand brush 3 passes soft brass, horsehair and quick soft nylon. Probably takes less time than changing roto heads.

Last year however didn’t hot wax at all. Crayon, pro glide, horsehair. Bases looked great end of season, no base burn, nice visible structure.

I just don’t see the appeal of roto brushing.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I doubt if it takes me ten seconds to change a roto brush. Quick twist off, grab other brush, slap it on, twist.

Or maybe 20 seconds if you have to reposition your hand once to gain leverage to loosen the chuck.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or maybe 20 seconds if you have to reposition your hand once to gain leverage to loosen the chuck.

The sidecut roto handle doesn't require you to loosen the chuck at all. The brush swap happens by popping the handle off the axle. See the video starting at 24 seconds.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I still don't see the need. Brushing by hand is quick and easy and a bit of an upper body workout.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hot wax, cool, scrape with Mantac sharpened plexi, hand brush 3 passes soft brass, horsehair and quick soft nylon. Probably takes less time than changing roto heads.

Last year however didn’t hot wax at all. Crayon, pro glide, horsehair. Bases looked great end of season, no base burn, nice visible structure.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :doh::doh::doh:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Very informative post A-man.

MNF

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm looking to start tuning and waxing myself - with a family of five it seems to be the obvious choice.

For those that live in Ontario, where do you get your equipment?

Thanks in advance.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier

I'm similar, though I'm speaking from a cross country perspective. I've only waxed my downhill skis once - they were new for this season and had DPS treatment and I wanted to see how that lasted.

I've had a roto setup for years but just didn't use it much for brushing - hand brushes were fast enough after scraping. I suppose if you didn't scrape, and use the "wipe off then brush approach
roto brushing would make more sense. It also could make sense if you had a lot of skis to do. But frankly, with a hand brush I got a better feel for when the wax was out. Rotos seemed disconnected. Plus, with apartment living, it was just one more thing to get out, plug in, etc.

I did use a roto cork to heat-in thin racing overlays sometimes, rather than ironing them. You could also use a rotor cork in place of an iron with soft waxes you crayoned on, though I didn't do that.

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
For me it's therapy. My wife and I have 10 pairs between us, and over the season it's not only much cheaper to tune and wax your own equipment, but assures a much better experience every day on the mountain. Those little dings and burrs on the edges...no problem. Picking the right temp wax for the current snow temp, a breeze. There is so much info available on tuning and waxing, do yourself a favor and learn. About the only thing you can't do at home is a base grind.

I thought about picking up a rotobrush, but even with cold temp wax, a brass brush after a thorough scraping followed by nylon and horsehair really doesn't take that long, and I like the hands on.

With that being said, what is the real consensus on DPS phantom?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm looking to start tuning and waxing myself - with a family of five it seems to be the obvious choice.

For those that live in Ontario, where do you get your equipment?

Thanks in advance.
Online. RaceWax, Racewerks, Slidewright, Artech, Togner Toolworks, etc. I'm not in Ontario, but most ski shops want you to have them do the tuning.

Reactions: MNF

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
With that being said, what is the real consensus on DPS phantom?
It definitely "works" but how well it works I can't say.

I had it applied by the place I got my skis when I bought them, and did a bit over 20 days. At the end of that, the bases still looked shiny and glided OK. I'm certain wax would not have lasted as long.

That said, this was just recreational skiing with snow temps mainly in the 20s but a few days colder and some with air temp well above freezing and the snow being slushy. Old, new, icey, slushy, man-made indoors. Everything. Glide was always OK. But I can't really say if glide was excellent or if it's any good for someone who really cares about performance.

I've got tons of waxes, a great iron, etc, but just don't want to deal with setting up/cleaning a waxing space often (I live in an apartment that's not huge) so DPS seemed good for me for the convenience.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
With that being said, what i

James

Out There
Instructor
One thing you don’t need is a jig saw-

3FC7E732-D62B-4DC0-A086-332EEFBF24C1.jpeg

What are they doing?

Sponsor