• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Never in a bad movie.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm watching Rescue Dawn with my daughter right now and was thinking I don't know of any bad movies that Christian Bale has ever been in. What actors would you say have never done a bad movie?

Michael Keaton is always good, but he's been in some bad movies.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tom Hanks? at least not recently.

Stephen Root, one of the most versatile supporting actors, can play comedy or drama. Might have been in a bad movie or three (because he is in so many) but never a bad role.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh come on...! Many of these actors have been in terrible movies

Al Pacino: 88 Minutes
Harrison Ford: Six Days, Seven Nights
Ben Affleck: Jersey Girl (I'm not even going to mention Gigli)

My own nomination would be Daniel Day Lewis. One reason is that he has only done relatively few movies. It's easier to maintain your average if you are very picky.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Never is a strong word, but I'm surprised at how many of the Denzel Washington action flicks I like. Even as an older, paunchy guy in movies like The Equalizer and Book of Eli he can pull off the Clint Eastwood don't mess with me thing by sheer force of will. Then there's the great dramas like Malcom X, Glory, and Fences.

Christian Bale is a good nomination. I watched Empire of the Sun again recently. His performance at age 12 in that film is really strong. Another relatively young guy who puts out many great performances is Joaquin Phoenix.

Looking back over the history of talking films, I also enjoy many with John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Jack Nicholson, Liam Neeson, Tommy Lee Jones, Burt Lancaster, Sean Connery, Jack Nicholson, Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart.

For the ladies I really liked Audrey Hepburn and enjoy almost every film she did. Meryl Streep has far more good films than bad. Been a fan of Francis McDormand ever since Fargo and Marisa Tomei since Cousin Vinny. Glenn Close, Julianne Moore and Sissy Spacek, Sally Field, Diane Keaton are all very good. Amy Adams, Charlize Theron and Jessica Chastain are some younger ladies that have been in very good films.

Hollywood golden era leading ladies: Katherine Hepburn, Myrna Loy, Deborah Kerr, Betty Davis.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Jim. You're not THAT old.
I don't know about you, but I misspent my youth back in the 1960's watching Hollywood golden era films almost every day of the week:decisions:
There was the four o'clock movie on weekday afternoons. There was the million dollar movie that one channel showed the same film every day for a week straight, there was the late night movie to compete with johnny carson, etc. Thank God my mom would eventually throw us out of the house to get some fresh air. Then they put them all on VHS so I could subject my kids to them all over again. I don't currently get TCM, but went through a phase about 10 years ago where I was watching that all the time. It will be a sad day when Olivia de Havilland passes away, she is the absolute last of the stars from the golden era at soon to be 104.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Guess you never attempted to sit though The Aviator. Like flying to Vladivostok in a regional turbo-prop.
So there you go...different tastes. I remember The Aviator as the first movie where I began to see Leonardo as an actor rather than a pretty boy.
BTW: it was nominated for 11 Academy Awards and won 5, and Leo also won a Golden Globe for best actor in that movie.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So there you go...different tastes. I remember The Aviator as the first movie where I began to see Leonardo as an actor rather than a pretty boy.
BTW: it was nominated for 11 Academy Awards and won 5, and Leo also won a Golden Globe for best actor in that movie.

Yeah, well, I also detest Disney World, so you can't go by me.

Signed, Eeyore

Reactions: tch

Sponsor

Staff online