• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nervous, need advice, please help if you've got a second...

TS
Ryan Dietrich

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
Holy moly. So, we moved our appointment up to Friday. It took a little over two hours. I took notes. The sheer amount of data/knowledge to process while he moved us from boot to boot was unbelievable. We ended up with some Dalbello boots. I am going from a 70-80 flex boot to a 110. I liked how he showed me how one boot manufacturer's 110 wasn't the same as another, they're all on their "own scale". I ended up going from a "27" size boot to a "26", but a "big 26" if that makes any sense. The part where he removed the liners, and heated the shells up to start marking the outside of the boot for adjustments was fascinating, I took pictures.

The wife enjoyed the process as well, we were mistakenly told at one point that you couldn't replace the liner in a boot by one ski shop, while he was showing us multiple options of liners, each for different conditions and preferences. She basically bought the same boot as mine, but with a lower flex rating. They were kind enough re-seat her hotronic foot heaters into her new liner once the boots are ready, very nice, as that was a frustrating Christmas morning last year.

Honestly, we spent a little less than I expected based on the comments made in this thread. He, like most of the commenters in this thread assure me that skiing in these boots will drastically alter the way we ski, and I'm looking quite forward to experiencing this first hand.

Even after all the questions I asked, and all the notes I took, I don't feel like I know enough about boots to tell anyone anything, other than "Go see Matt, dude is a beast, just give him your credit card, and complain about anything that feels weird in concern to the boot".

Oh, one last thing. Today I learned that I have been wearing the wrong socks. I've been using "smart wool" socks for like 15 years. He was like "yeah, but not the thick ones, just get the thin ones, the sock is to wick moisture, not to keep you warm, that's the liners job". Oh. Ok, wow.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
...we were mistakenly told at one point that you couldn't replace the liner in a boot by one ski shop

A perfect example of the terrible advice & fitting there is out there - glad you found a good, 'proper' fitter... and remember who/where that ski shop is that gave you the can't use different liners advice - good for your future as to where to avoid and also for any one else who asks about who NOT to recommend.

What Liners did you go with? I'm guessing Intuition ;-)

ps FYI not only can a boot shell have a different liner fitted if/when needed if the liner is packed out etc, Zipfits can be re-used in different boots, as they can and do outlast the shells)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great point on the socks... I'm surprised no one else brought it up earlier in the thread.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great point on the socks... I'm surprised no one else brought it up earlier in the thread.
I think he had enought to try to digest without getting his type of hosiery questioned, that again is a visual teaching thing too. Like a sense of humor, everyone thinks they have one, everyone thinks they have "thin" socks, until they see what a thin sock really is. In a ski boot, a sock is not there for insulation, as Mat said, thats the liners job. A good sock is there to wick the moisture (sweat) from the foot, keepig it dry, thus helping to keep it warm.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Holy moly. So, we moved our appointment up to Friday. It took a little over two hours. I took notes. The sheer amount of data/knowledge to process while he moved us from boot to boot was unbelievable. We ended up with some Dalbello boots. I am going from a 70-80 flex boot to a 110. I liked how he showed me how one boot manufacturer's 110 wasn't the same as another, they're all on their "own scale". I ended up going from a "27" size boot to a "26", but a "big 26" if that makes any sense. The part where he removed the liners, and heated the shells up to start marking the outside of the boot for adjustments was fascinating, I took pictures.

The wife enjoyed the process as well, we were mistakenly told at one point that you couldn't replace the liner in a boot by one ski shop, while he was showing us multiple options of liners, each for different conditions and preferences. She basically bought the same boot as mine, but with a lower flex rating. They were kind enough re-seat her hotronic foot heaters into her new liner once the boots are ready, very nice, as that was a frustrating Christmas morning last year.

Honestly, we spent a little less than I expected based on the comments made in this thread. He, like most of the commenters in this thread assure me that skiing in these boots will drastically alter the way we ski, and I'm looking quite forward to experiencing this first hand.

Even after all the questions I asked, and all the notes I took, I don't feel like I know enough about boots to tell anyone anything, other than "Go see Matt, dude is a beast, just give him your credit card, and complain about anything that feels weird in concern to the boot".

Oh, one last thing. Today I learned that I have been wearing the wrong socks. I've been using "smart wool" socks for like 15 years. He was like "yeah, but not the thick ones, just get the thin ones, the sock is to wick moisture, not to keep you warm, that's the liners job". Oh. Ok, wow.
:yeah:

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Appointment made at Park City Ski Boot. I don't know who I'm seeing though. I'll check back in after the appointment on Saturday!

"Go see Matt, dude is a beast, just give him your credit card, and complain about anything ...

Did you go to park city ski boot (Brent) or park city boot room (Matt)?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The original suggestion was Park City Boot Room, but since Matt didn't answer his phone (probably working at a race camp or something) the next suggestion was Park City Ski Boot. Brent is a good guy as well.

TS
Ryan Dietrich

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier

We initially tried to contact Brent at Park City Ski boot, but he never got back to us after repeated attempts (calls, emails, texts).

I set up the appointment with Matt in like 5 minutes, he was even gracious enough to let us re-schedule on a friday afternoon. Dude is pure class, I don't know what else to say.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is from an article we did when we launched Pugski.com...

Matt Schiller's Park City Boot Room

How would you like your boot work done by someone who spent years on the World Cup fitting the top racers? Not enough on his resume? How about one of the select trainers at MasterFit University, where the best bootfitters in the world go to learn? Still want more? Then there's Skiing Magazine tester, PSIA Level III Instructor, USSA National Coach, CSCA Level III Coach, and EMT. If all that doesn’t do it, skiing is not your sport.

Matt Schiller has opened his own specialty skunkworks lab, Park City Boot Room, in downtown Park City. Don’t expect to walk in and buy a pair of boots: Matt doesn’t sell boots, he customizes your boots for you. Matt has an eye and a touch possessed by few in the world. He will quiz you about your skiing, look at your stance, and then be able to tell you what is going on with your skiing. Most importantly, he will help you maximize your skiing experience with the proper fit. If you don’t have boots, he will suggest two or three options; go buy the pair that feels best and bring them back to Matt so he can fine-tune them.

If you are a pro hoping to pass your next level or a racer looking to lower your times, Matt is your man. He will make sure that at least your boots aren't holding you back. Stance, alignment, everything … Matt will even ensure that the ramp angle on your bindings is right for you. Even if you don't make your living on snow, he can help. If you are in Park City and need work, make an appointment; it will be the best hour or two you could spend. You will walk out knowing that your boots are no longer an excuse. He does not work with people that have boot problems; he helps boots with people problems.

TS
Ryan Dietrich

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
Don’t expect to walk in and buy a pair of boots: Matt doesn’t sell boots, he customizes your boots for you.

I walked in expecting not to buy boots, that was not the case. He sold tons of boots, and had some stuff on sale too. I wasn't interested in saving money after spending 5 minutes with him, I wanted the absolute best based on his recommendation. So now, he does both. He sells boots and he massively customizes them. I think ours will be done in a few weeks, I can't wait to check them out! :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Appointment made at Park City Ski Boot. I don't know who I'm seeing though. I'll check back in after the appointment on Saturday!

We initially tried to contact Brent at Park City Ski boot, but he never got back to us after repeated attempts (calls, emails, texts).

I set up the appointment with Matt in like 5 minutes, he was even gracious enough to let us re-schedule on a friday afternoon. Dude is pure class, I don't know what else to say.

Are you sure you don't have them confused?

I walked in expecting not to buy boots, that was not the case. He sold tons of boots, and had some stuff on sale too. I wasn't interested in saving money after spending 5 minutes with him, I wanted the absolute best based on his recommendation. So now, he does both. He sells boots and he massively customizes them. I think ours will be done in a few weeks, I can't wait to check them out! :)
Based on the posts quoted, I'm pretty sure you went to Park City Ski Boot, not Park City Boot Room.
I know its confusing. Heck, its confusing for me and I know both Brent and Matt.

Matt Schiller's PCBR looks like this.
33378144_686894744986291_6032987926143434752_o.jpg

silverback

Skier
I walked in expecting not to buy boots, that was not the case. He sold tons of boots, and had some stuff on sale too. I wasn't interested in saving money after spending 5 minutes with him, I wanted the absolute best based on his recommendation. So now, he does both. He sells boots and he massively customizes them. I think ours will be done in a few weeks, I can't wait to check...

THAT'S BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T GO TO MATT'!!! YOU WENT TO BRENT!!!

probably doesn't help that when @Ryan Dietrich said he made an appointment with Park City Ski Boot (Brent) @Philpug wrote "say hi to Matt" :)

The business names are VERY similar.

@Tricia gets it!

Last edited:
TS
Ryan Dietrich

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
THAT'S BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T GO TO MATT'!!! YOU WENT TO BRENT!!!

probably doesn't help that when @Ryan Dietrich said he made an appointment with Park City Ski Boot (Brent) @Philpug wrote "say hi to Matt" :)

The business names are VERY similar.

@Tricia gets it!

Umm, yeah, I just assumed bootfitters didn't sell boots and that it was a service. No big deal. :)

silverback

Skier
Umm, yeah, I just assumed bootfitters didn't sell boots and that it was a service. No big deal. :)

No, not a big deal and more confusing than it should be. A lot of other people read these posts so I thought it would be good if it was clear. Let us know how the boots work out!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No, not a big deal and more confusing than it should be. A lot of other people read these posts so I thought it would be good if it was clear. Let us know how the boots work out!
X2

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats on your new boots. I went through the same thing, working up from past "on sale" and "they kinda don't hurt *that* bad boots". Don't be surprised (but don't be discouraged either) if after a day or so on them you have pressure spots that need a little more tweaking. That's what heat and grinders are for.

Sponsor