• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Negronis

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
[Originally posted in "ain't gonna..." series, but since this is my cocktail thing, decided it needed its own thread.]

To no one's surprise, the quest for the perfect Negroni continues, only modestly abated, at my house. This stuff is ridiculously subjective. I know that, so take my prescriptions with a grain of salt. Following are my two breakthroughs for 2019. Negroni-loving Pugs, I want your feedback!

1. Vermut, Casa Mariol. A bartender at now-sadly-defunct Spanish restaurant Lolita turned me on to this. It's become far and away my favorite sweet vermouth. Lots going on - very nuanced, very long, very balanced. Not crazy-sweet. On the brown side of red. The intentionally ugly packaging does not tell the story.
  2. Gin. This is my dirty little secret: Use a low-profile gin. Don't spend a lot. There are so many flavors in a Negroni - you don't want a hammerhead of a gin getting all in your face. Instead you want something that will get along. Think of whom you want on your team at work. So the go-to gin for me, for Negronis, has become Prairie Gin. The fact that it's organic makes the S.O. happy, too. Believe me, you don't want to use this for a Martini or whatever; it's too boring. But for a Negroni? Perfectamundo. (Okay, full disclosure, I'll take a Botanist Negroni too. But it's, like, double the price. Feh.)

To wit, the recipe:
booze
3 parts Prairie Organic Gin
3 parts Campari
2 parts Casa Mariol Vermut
1 part Punta Mes
not booze
1 blood orange slice
ice

Mix the booze in a sparkling-clean Old Fashioned glass.
Fill glass with ice and stir thoroughly.
Garnish with orange slice.
Allow to rest 5 minutes.
Serve after dinner like the yolk of a Faberge egg.

20191112_210811-02.jpeg

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
will have to try your recipe
your right about costs of expensive gins in a mixed drink but I find the various gins we use also add a bit of depth to flavour and mix well with other good martinis
Try Cinzano occasionally (our go to house plunk for vermouth) if you like a more tart taste.
A fresh lime rather than the usual orange also makes a nice change up.
however after dinner, rather than before, is not happening here.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My first Negroni was made with Aperol and Carpano Antiqua. My son ordered it, hated it, and traded with me. I have not explored the possibilities like you, but these have become a favorite drink in our house!

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The NYC restaurant Le Crocodile offers a Negroni made with Cap Corse Mattei, a quinquina apéritif that very popular in Corsica, where it's made. (Don't ask me what it's like: I'm not much of a drinker — but I am Corsican!)

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We had a pretty standard Negroni on Sunday afternoon then homemade pizza. My wife makes killer dough. Unfortunately, we are almost out of Campari. Not good in the current environment.

I had never heard of National Negroni week, but just looked it up. Maybe things will be better by June 24-30?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unfortunately, we are almost out of Campari. Not good in the current environment.

I have most of a bottle of Campari, but out of Cynar and having trouble finding some. Anyone tried Knight Gabrielle Rosso Amaro in a negroni? I may try Cynar70 in a negroni to get ready for the big week.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Latest effort:

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What's a Negroni? Some kind of weird Boulevardier where they use gin instead of whiskey?

Yes. In the same way that Zermatt is some kind of weird Vail.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
What I love about Negronis …like a dogs life, is it is a perfect delicate balance of sweet and bitter. And For me the fulcrum, or the match that lights the fire (GOOD gin/vermouth/Campari being the required basics) is the spritz of orange oil from the garnish.
I like them stirred - but won’t turn one down if shaken.

What I don’t like about Negronis is rediscovering too often the harsh reality that two is not enough and three is too many

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
What I love about Negronis …like a dogs life, is it is a perfect delicate balance of sweet and bitter. And For me the fulcrum, or the match that lights the fire (GOOD gin/vermouth/Campari being the required basics) is the spritz of orange oil from the garnish.
I like them stirred - but won’t turn one down if shaken.

What I don’t like about Negronis is rediscovering too often the harsh reality that two is not enough and three is too many
I find a Negroni to be an excellent pre meal cocktail, but rarely something I want more than once. If, after the meal, I'm still in the mood for something bitter I'll take a Fernet Branca neat.

My other go to aperitif is a Last Word - equal parts gin (Plymouth for me), green Chartreuse, Maraschino liqueur (the real stuff, not any red abomination) and fresh lime juice.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Speaking of Fernet - Another favorite is the Hanky Panky

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The NYC restaurant Le Crocodile offers a Negroni made with Cap Corse Mattei, a quinquina apéritif that very popular in Corsica, where it's made. (Don't ask me what it's like: I'm not much of a drinker — but I am Corsican!)

I JUST saw that in the store. It intrigued me, but I passed it by. THEN I read your old post here. Doh.

It's taken me til tonight, but I finally picked up a bottle of the Cap Corse Mattei rouge.

I decided that the quinine was too much to use it as a vermouth substitute outright. Instead I ended up with:

3/4 oz Ford's gin
3/4 oz Campari
1/2 oz Dopo Teatro vermouth
1/4 oz Mattei
dash orange bitters
orange slice

Delicious.

Sponsor

Staff online