• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need/Want to replace my 2009 Honda Pilot

What to Replace my Honda Pilot with?

• Toyota Highlander

• Subaru Ascent

• Toyota 4Runner

• VW Atlas 4Motion

• GMC Acadia

• Jeep Grand Cherokee

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
After more than 10 years its time...

Looking for a 4wd/AWD Suv with similar space/capacity that will last me just as long...

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got a 2008 4Runner that's running strong (~100K miles) that's starting to have some mysteriously/intermittent throttle issues. A buddy has 2011/2012-ish 4Runner, and it's larger, heavier, less easy to maneuver. Still nice though.

I'm thinking Highlander Hybrid AWD default in case something happens. Will consider more if I don't have to re-act.
Will prefer to "fix" rather than replace at this point in time.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was going to say the new Hyundai Sante Fe Diesel but in the 11th hour they decided not to offer it. :(

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I like the 4Runner BUT, its a dated model (not always a bad thing though) that is going to be replaced soon. I also like the Jeep Grand Cherokee BUT it doesnt have as much space as some of the others listed.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Grand Cherokee or 4Runner. I feel like Toyotas are still made better.

Assume you don't need a 3rd row seat.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I do need/want 3rd row seating.

Got a really good deal on a new Ascent Limited with several options. Had not seen/driven one until today. I was impressed. The dealer also gave me a great trade in price for the Pilot (was not expecting that) besides the significant discount on the MSRP of the Ascent.

Subaru has done a great job with the Ascent.

Now, need to get winter tires :D

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the 4Runner BUT, its a dated model (not always a bad thing though) that is going to be replaced soon. I also like the Jeep Grand Cherokee BUT it doesnt have as much space as some of the others listed.

W/R/T the Grand Cherokee, have you considered the Dodge Durango?

It's pretty much a stretched Grand Cherokee, in terms of chassis, drivetrain, etc.

W/R/T the Highlander, I at least THINK it is also slated for replacement in the next year or two. Personally, I'd just buy the Sienna, which is the same basic chassis, powertrain, etc. and a LOT more room.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know you got the Ascent but if I were looking I'd definitely give this a look. AWD, ok mileage, and lots of room.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ken_R congrats on your new Subaru Ascent.

I'm curious how many miles did you have on your 2009 Pilot and what motivated you to replace it? And, why wasn't a new Pilot on the list for consideration?

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@Ken_R congrats on your new Subaru Ascent.

I'm curious how many miles did you have on your 2009 Pilot and what motivated you to replace it? And, why wasn't a new Pilot on the list for consideration?

Hi, My Pilot had 99,000 miles. It was still going strong me having had the timing belt replaced at 75k miles. I usually replace my vehicles every 10 years and this is the only time that I exceeded that mark by a few months. So someone is getting a great vehicle.

I just do not like the way the new Pilot looks although a lot of people prefer it.

Also, the V6 engine in the Pilot is solid but new engine in the Ascent felt awesome and being a turbo should perform great at high altitudes and uses less fuel. The CVT in the Ascent is great even though I used to prefer a traditional automatic. It doesnt feel like a CVT. The Ascent felt quick and a tad "sportier" (if that can be said about a midsize suv) and stable.

The Ascent also had many more features for the money.

Interior space was almost identical in both vehicles. And interior quality might be a tad nicer in the Pilot but only in the models that cost a lot more.

Got the Ascent at Groove Subaru in Englewood (I was familiar with the dealer since I have been using it for service for my Forester for the past 2 years). They were awesome and very easy to deal with.

I got the Limited model with some options. I think the Premium and Limited trims are the best values if you get a good deal.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
LOVING the new Ascent. Wow. Subaru really upped its game with this vehicle.

On a side note, I got 2 SKI SEASON PASSES for Copper Mountain for this year because of a promo Subaru has being the official vehicle of Copper and Eldora Mtn.

@SBrown !!! I can now ski there all season long!

:ogcool:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
LOVING the new Ascent. Wow. Subaru really upped its game with this vehicle.

On a side note, I got 2 SKI SEASON PASSES for Copper Mountain for this year because of a promo Subaru has being the official vehicle of Copper and Eldora Mtn.

@SBrown !!! I can now ski there all season long!

:ogcool:

I can ski Copper all season long if I want to as well, only I didn't have to buy a Subaru, just an Ikon pass.:duck:And I will be there in 3 or 4 weeks time but first there are ski stops in Utah and Aspen.:D

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I can ski Copper all season long if I want to as well, only I didn't have to buy a Subaru, just an Ikon pass.:duck:And I will be there in 3 or 4 weeks time but first there are ski stops in Utah and Aspen.:D

Still 2 passes = $1200 Value, not bad. (Although I cant ski at other Ikon resorts, but I live 1h30m from Copper so its all good :D )

Last edited:
TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I LOVE the Ascent. It is just awesome on the highway at high altitudes. The turbo just maintains consistent power no matter the elevation. Not the same can be said of the V6 non-turbo engines typical in the competing SUVs. Its so so smooth.

A review is next!

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
W/R/T the Grand Cherokee, have you considered the Dodge Durango?

It's pretty much a stretched Grand Cherokee, in terms of chassis, drivetrain, etc.
The Durango is essentially a Grand Cherokee at a discount. There are differences but they don't necessarily favor one of the other. The Durango offers more passenger/cargo space while the Grand Cherokee offers more off-road capability. The Durango is my daily driver and I rented a Grand Cherokee for two weeks in Southern Utah last summer so I got a good sense of the differences. For most of the driving I do, the cars are identical. The Durango's longer wheelbase may give it a slight advantage in highway driving but both cars are really nice on the highway.

The Durango not only has a third row, but it's a useful one at that. I haven't been in the new Pilot but many 3 row crossovers skimp on 3rd row room. The Durango's third row is comfortable for two passengers. You wouldn't want to put a 6-foot adult back there for any length of time but it's entirely legitimate for children and smaller adults. Larger adults can be ok for shorter trips. With the third row in use the remaining cargo area is small but a little more useful than some competitors. With the third row folded, you have more cargo room than the Grand Cherokee.

Of course, the Durango is no match for the Grand Cherokee off-road. The Grand Cherokee offers more ground clearance, better approach/departure angles and more sophisticated AWD/4WD systems (available). Don't tell the rental company but in UT I did some trails with steep inclines, switchbacks, deep ruts and some small rocks to climb. The Grand Cherokee had no problems at all. I would have torn the air dam off my Durango and probably scraped the bottom a bunch of times. I also would have been heating up the brakes on some long slow descents where the Grand Cherokee's low range was a huge help. I'm not sure why but Dodge doesn't offer the 2-speed transfer case on the V6 Durango while it is available on the V6 Grand Cherokee.

In terms of interior layout and materials, the cars are nearly identical forward of the cargo area. Just about everything you touch is identical. Most of what you see is the same and whatever looks different is the same just below the surface. Both cars are great. If you value the additional space and/or want to save some money, check out the Durango. If you need the off-road capability, check out the Grand Cherokee.

(Also worth pointing out that, in addition to being so similar, both of these cars also still share a bit with the some Mercedes crossovers although these bits are harder to spot.)

Sponsor

Staff online