• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

need opinions - which one?

Chicajill

Booting up
Skier
Hi,
I have the MAX Pass this year. I'm planning my next ski trip for the first week or two of Feb. before the crazy Prez holiday stuff. I'm guessing it will be for 7 or 8 days. I had my heart set on Big Sky as I skied it last season for the first time but for only three days. But now Mt. Bachelor looks fabulous & I've never been there. I'll be flying from FL so that's a factor, too.
Any reports on either resort from anyone? Powder, obviously, is a must. I'd say I'm an advanced skier wanting practice on moguls & maybe some trees.
It's hard to pick a month ahead of time as who knows what Mother Nature will throw at us.
Thanx,
Jill

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This season, I don't think you could go wrong either way. Does the altitude at the higher resorts bother you at all? If so, then maybe Bachelor would be a good option to try since it's not as high. :huh:

TS
Chicajill

Chicajill

Booting up
Skier
This season, I don't think you could go wrong either way. Does the altitude at the higher resorts bother you at all? If so, then maybe Bachelor would be a good option to try since it's not as high. :huh:
Happy to report that I have not had any issues with altitude.
I've been searching the flights from SW Fl to both resorts... none of it is easy as they involve three flights. Arrgh.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't been to Bachelor, but I love Big Sky!

Big Sky was where I first skied in 2011, after a 20 year break from the sport. I went again in 2013 with this motley crew, skied Moonlight Basin as well. As you know, they have incredible terrain, and If you can ski with Ursula (instructor (ski school director?) at Big Sky), it'll change your life. If she tells you that where she is taking you is 'not for the faint of heart', pull up your big girl/boy pants and have fun.

Also, I can't imagine Bachelor having better perogies than Big Sky! Assuming that Polish lady is still there in the middle of the common area, make sure you get to her before very far into the lunch hour, she sells out quick.

Long, long ago (two whole years) when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, I flew FLL-DEN-whateverthecodeisforBozeman, but I don't know who is flying to Bozeman from DEN now that Frontier has reduced flights out of Denver.

Maybe you can convince hubby to live part of the year in CO... :beercheer:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Happy to report that I have not had any issues with altitude.
I've been searching the flights from SW Fl to both resorts... none of it is easy as they involve three flights. Arrgh.
You are very lucky! I am of no help, then. I'd personally lean toward Big Sky, but then I can also drive there in 5 hours.
See, no help!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where is the MAX pass good? What are all of your options?

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
United flies non-stop DEN to BZN. Delta flies non-stop MSP to BZN.

TS
Chicajill

Chicajill

Booting up
Skier
Where is the MAX pass good? What are all of your options?
MAX Pass has 22 resorts but 11 are in the NE. The largest resorts on the pass in the West are Big Sky, Steamboat (which I've skied a number of times) Copper, Winter Park, Mt. Bachelor, Brighton & The Summit, WA.
refer to www.themaxpass.com

TS
Chicajill

Chicajill

Booting up
Skier
United flies non-stop DEN to BZN. Delta flies non-stop MSP to BZN.
I have AmAirlines flyer miles. I'll probably take AA from Fort Myers (my home airport) to Denver then United to Bozeman or some other resort out in the boonies. Leaning strongly to Big Sky right this minute.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
3 days, huh? It will be a tough choice, It will almost come down to where the better air travel is and value there.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have AmAirlines flyer miles. I'll probably take AA from Fort Myers (my home airport) to Denver then United to Bozeman or some other resort out in the boonies. Leaning strongly to Big Sky right this minute.
Check Alaskan Airlines. Are they still an American partner? Several years ago I managed to piece together a Big SKy itinerary using miles. (Didn't go because of knee surgery).

TS
Chicajill

Chicajill

Booting up
Skier
Check Alaskan Airlines. Are they still an American partner? Several years ago I managed to piece together a Big SKy itinerary using miles. (Didn't go because of knee surgery).
yes, Alaskan is a partner but they didn't help with any of the connections.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Bachelor is a blast. Lots of terrain to ski. If you are looking for on hill lodging, Bachelor has none, though Bend isn't far and a nice area.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
the Ski Divas at Big Sky March 5th-12th..
went last year low snow while there w/divas (compared to this year) what a GREAT Mt.. will go back but this year on a ski safari.. sun valley or Jackson H, Alta, Aspen, Snowmass and ?

@AmyPJ - when is the Diva trip to Big Sky? Chicajill might want to join up with that group.[/QUO

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are looking for terrain, Crystal should be in consideration.

I've not skied Big Sky, but I've skied both Crystal & Bachelor back to back in the 90's.
For me, the terrain at Bachelor was uninspiring. OTOH, Crystal certainly got my attention, and this comes after spending 2-1/2 months at JH.

This season, we have the RMSP+ with a Max pass add on. The eastern areas are almost a total loss for us due to Mother Nature. Right now we are on the first week of our 4 month road trip. :yahoo:
Both Big Sky & Crystal are part of the itinerary. Unfortunately, Bachelor is not.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Moving this over to Resorts and Travel.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are looking for terrain, Crystal should be in consideration.

I've not skied Big Sky, but I've skied both Crystal & Bachelor back to back in the 90's.
For me, the terrain at Bachelor was uninspiring. OTOH, Crystal certainly got my attention, and this comes after spending 2-1/2 months at JH.

This season, we have the RMSP+ with a Max pass add on. The eastern areas are almost a total loss for us due to Mother Nature. Right now we are on the first week of our 4 month road trip. :yahoo:
Both Big Sky & Crystal are part of the itinerary. Unfortunately, Bachelor is not.

Bruce, let me know when you and Mamie will be at Crystal and I'll see if I can meet you.

Sponsor

Staff online