• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Bikes Need opinion on 45NRTH Van Helga or Bonti Gnarwal

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If Trek had had ONE Farley 9.6 left in XL, I could run 27.5 x 4.5s. Alas, I was too late in asking, and they are out until March!

So I'm pretty stoked with the Beargrease that I found, but it looks like a solid no-go for a 4.5 in back. No problem up front. In any event, I don't really know where I'm going with this, or even what the normal FB conditions are up here, so I'll soldier on with the D4s that came on the bike, and seem great so far.

Interesting trivia for @Ron and @Slim since you both seem to know mikesee: I believe he won the Arrowhead 135 at least once. A grueling winter race that ends around Tower MN, just a bit northwest of where I grew up as a kid. Nothing like that going on when I was up there, though. Long time ago. If you dig deeply enough in his blog, he might still have the writeup: http://lacemine29.blogspot.com/

I'll see if I can get the direct link from him later.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Here's his resume. https://lacemine29.com/resume.html

1605828459119.png

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
If Trek had had ONE Farley 9.6 left in XL, I could run 27.5 x 4.5s. Alas, I was too late in asking, and they are out until March!

So I'm pretty stoked with the Beargrease that I found, but it looks like a solid no-go for a 4.5 in back. No problem up front. In any event, I don't really know where I'm going with this, or even what the normal FB conditions are up here, so I'll soldier on with the D4s that came on the bike, and seem great so far.

Interesting trivia for @Ron and @Slim since you both seem to know mikesee: I believe he won the Arrowhead 135 at least once. A grueling winter race that ends around Tower MN, just a bit northwest of where I grew up as a kid. Nothing like that going on when I was up there, though. Long time ago. If you dig deeply enough in his blog, he might still have the writeup: http://lacemine29.blogspot.com/

I'll see if I can get the direct link from him later.

Ride that and see how much you like it. You could have mike build you a set of 26's and go 26x5.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. , yep, we are getting old. Even I remember the first Surly Pugsley fatbikes coming onto the market. Hopped on one in the parking lot and had my mind blown!

The Arrowhead135 race is still going strong(not sure about this year). I just bought a used (old version) Beargrease, that the guy had used for two of them.

I don’t know Mikesee personally, but have followed his writings for a long time.

26x5 will not fit in the Beargrease. Very few bikes fit that tire size. The only tire that is that size (that I know of) is the Vee Snowshoe XXL.

But 26x4.8 probably will fit. Johny 5, Surly Bud and Lou, all come in that around that size. As do Vee Xl and Schwalbe Jumbo Jim, but they are not great tires (for most people).

I realized, as we were talking, this is kind of like skis: different tires for different conditions and preferences.
Some are ripping groomed singletrack.
Some are on ice, dirt and snow,
Some are on packed powder snowmobile trails
etc, etc.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Mounted up the Gnar's yesterday, substantially more beef to the tire, no doubt this will bite much better! I added 600 grams to the bike. Im not too happy about that but if its getting better traction, I'll take that. Plus, my legs will be better off in the long run :).

My HED wheels have 2 rim channels for setting up the tires, I found an instructional video online that really worked. You get both beads in the channels which takes a few minutes. Take the cores out and hit them with about 150 PSI, and here's the trick, as you blast (valve at the bottom) you moderately hit the top of the tire with repeated blows, after about 5-6, the bead popped into place! It took me about a 1/2 hour to mount and fill with Orange seal. :).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Now THAT is some tread, @Ron!

Looks like Mike was on LSD when he laced up your spokes! ;)

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Mike didn’t make those. Lol. HED carbon wheels.

yeah, those treads are mad max inspired

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mike didn’t make those. Lol. HED carbon wheels.

Mike is currently visiting my old home stomping grounds, and I've been feeding him more than a little intel on biking, paddling and eating.

I can feel a conversation about light fat bike wheels coming, though I continue trying to resist....... :ogbiggrin:

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online