Need help removing grease from snow pants

Discussion in 'Softgoods: Clothing, Helmets, Goggles, and More' started by avgDude, Dec 24, 2018.

1. avgDude

avgDude At the base lodge Skier

looking for a suggestion to remove grease from my relatively new yellow ski pants.I'm pretty sure it dripped from a chairlift cable/pulley onto the chairlift seat.

I've tried "shout", a hand degreaser, bleach, "dawn" and whitening toothpaste - no luck

2. slowrider

slowrider Out on the slopes Skier

Oxy clean
    Simple green
    Baking soda and vinegar
    Brake cleaner
    Good luck

3. Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo Snow Skier Skier

I'd really like to know what effect bleach had on them. Did you swab it on directly or just add it to the wash? Did it change the color of the pants? I majored in Chemistry and am geniunely curious, not just poking fun although that too.

What fabric/manufacturer? Do they have care instructions on-line? FWIW I had the same issue with some Arcteryx GoreTex Pro pants. Arcteryx's website gave possible solutions, they didn't work so I called Arcteryx directly. The CS rep suggested a citrus based cleaner and then following that with a re-appiclation of DWR as the citrus breaks it down. It worked for me. I can't recall the name of the product but I remember it was typically for industrial equipment which freaked me out a bit but it was the right stuff.

4. Jenny

Jenny Out on the slopes Skier

This was just posted, with before and after pics, on Ski Diva. Totally took the stain away, and it was a big one! I've not used this procedure before, only Dawn and a toothbrush.

1. Spray each stain with WD-40, and let set for at least a half hour or more. (I did 45 minutes)
    2. Put a small amount of Dawn dish soap on each stain, and scrub it into the stain with a toothbrush.
    3. As it starts to release with off (blot off) with paper towels.
    4. Continue until it the stains are not visible.
    5. If the stains are still visible, do steps 1 - 4 again. (I had to repeat those steps once.)
    6. Wash off the affected areas with cold water in the sink.
    7. Wash the item according to it's instructions
    8. If after washing the stain(s) is still visible: DO NOT PUT IN THE DRYER
    9. If stains are still visible, start the process again.

Dave Petersen, Primoz and Olesya C like this.
  5. neonorchid

neonorchid Out on the slopes Skier

I was going to suggest a 50/50 mix of olive oil and Palmolive dishwashing liquid.

6. raytseng

raytseng Out on the slopes Skier

also just try Tide; with Jenny's procedure

7. Daves not here

Daves not here Getting on the lift Skier

My wife just had this happen to her arcteryx jacket. She used “resolve” on it and it worked great!

neonorchid likes this.
  8. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister--Big Sky Team Gathermeister

Did you try some scrubbing with a soft brush? I've gotten left drippings of my yellow jacket with oxy clean again remover and 5 or 10 minus of scrubbing with a brush.

9. neonorchid

Carpet cleaner and it worked, cool!

10. Jilly

Jilly Lead Cougar Skier

Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
    Olesya C likes this.
  11. Analisa

Analisa Out on the slopes Skier

If they’re waterproof and you live in an area where you really rely on the waterproofing, leave the stain and skip harsh detergent with solvents or enzymes (even basic Tide or Gain affect the membrane and DWR). Both are easy to damage, and while DWR can be reapplied, the “over the counter” Nikwax, Grangers, and Arc’teryx Nu aren’t the heavy duty fluorocarbon formulas used during the manufacturing process.

My white and yellow hard shell jackets get regular cleanings but look heinously dirty. From now on my shell materials will be darker colors!

Lorenzzo likes this.
  12. jmills115

jmills115 Getting on the lift Skier

Lava soap and soft brush.
    My yellow Helly Hansen Alpha 2.0 jacket is impossible to keep clean (or at least looking clean) I don’t put it on until I have all gear out of the Tahoe which gets covered in salt and dirt even with a daily wash.
    Grease from the lift can’t be avoided but trying not to touch the drop bar when a fellow rider lowers it, taking off mitten to zip and unzip, and taking it off and putting in Tahoe before doing anything else at end of day.
    Lava soap, woolite, grangers tech wash, then DWR spray has it looking and performing like new.
    I’m not sure the effect the Lava will have on the life of the jacket but got a Colorado Freeride Systems jacket in Red today so at least I’ll be able to limit the yellow jacket

Edit-pic added with 6-7 days after last wash. I’ll go a bit more before another wash. Mrsjmills has a white jacket that had grease on it and came clean with lava

81B975B5-B02A-4546-ABF6-42F7B8B2D15D.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  13. Jack skis

Jack skis Ex 207cm VR17 Skier Skier

More grease stains equal more authenticity.

Mothertucker and Primoz like this.
  14. Primoz

Primoz Out on the slopes Skier

I would suggest WD40 too, but I would also go with @Jack skis, used looking jackets and pants are way more hardcore :roflmao: But hardcore or not, I simply stop to care about this sort of things. When skiing trees, carry bunch of skis, boots and other stuff, those shiny jackets and pants get dirty... pretty much every time you go out. So I wash my Goretext once or twice a year to get that sweat out, and simply don't care for stains that got there.

scott43 and jmills115 like this.
  15. neonorchid

...a real chick magnet:D

16. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Your OP indicates that you have already washed your pants.
    Did you dry them in the dryer? If so, you won't likely have luck getting it out because the dryer sets the stain in.

17. Talisman

Talisman Getting off the lift Team Gathermeister

This! If you are lucky "the grease" will be black stains from water and rubber fines which drip from lift on warm days and will easily wash out. Grease is there for the duration or the outerwear is no longer waterproof/water resistant.

Analisa likes this.
  18. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs Skiing the powder Pugski Ski Tester Industry Insider

Try the Orange and White bottle of Hunters' wash you can get at Walmart. It works wonders. I don't know about grease stains, but it removed the collar stain on my coat plus grime and coffee from my pants.