• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Maybe OP is just like a high energy herding dog, and he needs to get his energy out on some long walkies so he's not super annoying to be around (I say this with love, because I resonate alot with what he struggles with). Any chance you could start your 'mellow skiing' days with some uphill to get all those high energy needs out of the way? Then maybe those groomers will feel plenty challenging.

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Uphill won't work at Taos for the way our family schedule works, but I do think hitting it hard for an hour or two at the start of the day would help a lot. It has worked well before, though it wasn't part of a deliberate plan to do that.

Edit: actually there's hiking, which does help. I was just thinking of AT.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Maybe OP is just like a high energy herding dog, and he needs to get his energy out on some long walkies so he's not super annoying to be around (I say this with love, because I resonate alot with what he struggles with). Any chance you could start your 'mellow skiing' days with some uphill to get all those high energy needs out of the way? Then maybe those groomers will feel plenty challenging.

My life in short. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Our new weekend pattern:

- get in van at 5:30am.
- SO sleeps in the bed with the dog on the way up.
- I uphill for about 1200-2000' with the dog who is...you guessed it, a herding mix of border collie and ACD. While SO continues to sleep.
- once I and the dog are nicer people, we go back to the van to wake up mom and proceed to ski off lifts for the rest of the day.

PhillyGuy

Booting up
Skier
I watched a father ski with his son today at Alta. The kid was prob 7-8. He father got so inpatient on a flat that he was yelling at the kid to be faster.

Later the kid skied down a really narrow chute and fell after the first turn. The father skied down and asked him if he was okay. Then the kid said yes, he asked him “then why did you stop?” And skied away.

I felt bad for the kid and I think it’s prob traumatic to be skiing with someone who’s inpatient with you.

So like the other posters said, decide what your goals are for the day. And if you just want to rip hard on a powder day, just tell them. I’m sure they would rather know that you’ll be on your own than feeling rushed or being challenged on terrains they are not comfortable on.

We all have to make sacrifices and if you decide that it’s more important to spend time with family or friends on the mountain then you’ll need to sacrifice some fresh powder.

I skied with a bunch of friends last week. I was okay with being their guide because I know that there will always be another powder day.

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
First, skiing is supposed to be fun. I'm not sure you're having fun but rather driving yourself to burn as much energy as possible. That's OK if that's your focus of having 'fun'.
It certainly sounds like you like a challenge, so make your skiing more of a challenge. One way to do that would be to change the skis you're on. Ditch the 105's and do those mogul and tree runs on the Stockli GS skis. Ski powder on the GS skis. Glen Plake didn't get famous skiing 105's. Here's Ron Kipp on ski width, . That will increase the 'fun factor'.

You take quite a few lesson, that's really commendable. But, how often do you share that knowledge with the people who can't quite keep up. Instead of waiting 5 to 7 minutes at the bottom of some difficult run, help your companions find an easier way down. Maybe look for an easier way down and have them follow your path. How cool would it be to, instead of taking 30 seconds to get down a run, you were able to take 3 minutes and guide the others down something they were not comfortable on. It sounds like you did that with your daughter.

If you really, really like the speed aspect of skiing, get into racing. Gates make you turn at a particular place not where you might like to turn. The clock is the arbiter, the person who beat you by .05 was the better skier that day on that run no matter what they looked like. It would also be a good focus for your energy. It may also help focus your mind because you will have to wait on others to make your run. When you're up will you be focused on the task at hand or grousing about having to wait 5 or 10 minutes in the cold. Ever wonder why Mikela barfs in the start house?

You mentioned maybe being a ski patroller when you retire. You could maybe start this journey now. Look into what it's going to take to get to the point where you can get on a patrol. You'll probably need to be an EMT or at least have some emergency medical type of training. Also, the skiing for a patroller is a lot different than the skiing for an instructor. Side slips between the poles is not the same as doing side slips in front of a PSIA examiner.

Lastly, have you looked into becoming an instructor? It's a whole different mind set. Coaching a group of never-evers from Alabama will certainly test your patience.
The training process will test your patience more. You've taken a lot of higher level lessons at Taos. How long has your instructor been teaching? I'lll bet at least 10 years but maybe more like 25 or 30 years. Imagine the patience they've developed working that long to get where they are. The really good ones never stop training and learning and trying to get more efficient at their skiing.

There's a lot more to skiing than trees and moguls. Start looking for it.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I skied with a bunch of friends last week. I was okay with being their guide because I know that there will always be another powder day.
WAIT! How do you know there will always be another powder day? This changes everything ogwink !

Last edited:
TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ditch the 105's and do those mogul and tree runs on the Stockli GS skis. Ski powder on the GS skis. Glen Plake didn't get famous skiing 105's. Here's Ron Kipp on ski width, . That will increase the 'fun factor'.

I agree it's a challenge worth trying and will make sure I'm releasing my edges properly. I did a day of skiing bumps on the GS skis at the beginning of the season, they are definitely less forgiving of improper edge angle. I watched this video end to end though, and I don't buy it on the whole. I have seen this argument before and it always comes from the ski racers whose love is perfect carve turns at high speed. There's nothing wrong with that, but to flip it back around, there's more to skiing than that too. Who wants to ski down in the powder when they can float?

You take quite a few lesson, that's really commendable. But, how often do you share that knowledge with the people who can't quite keep up. Instead of waiting 5 to 7 minutes at the bottom of some difficult run, help your companions find an easier way down. Maybe look for an easier way down and have them follow your path. How cool would it be to, instead of taking 30 seconds to get down a run, you were able to take 3 minutes and guide the others down something they were not comfortable on. It sounds like you did that with your daughter.

When I'm in the right mindset, I do this a lot. After a few pitches we'll have a chat, usually the issue in bumps is lifting the inside ski and/or not moving center of mass correctly when initiating turns. I'll also lead my younger daughter through bumps sometimes to make her more comfortable and give her some guidance on line choice. My problem is getting in that mindset, sometimes.

If you really, really like the speed aspect of skiing, get into racing. Gates make you turn at a particular place not where you might like to turn. The clock is the arbiter, the person who beat you by .05 was the better skier that day on that run no matter what they looked like. It would also be a good focus for your energy. It may also help focus your mind because you will have to wait on others to make your run. When you're up will you be focused on the task at hand or grousing about having to wait 5 or 10 minutes in the cold. Ever wonder why Mikela barfs in the start house?

It sounds like a good challenge but it's not practical right now. They seem to have shut down the NASTAR course at TSV.

You mentioned maybe being a ski patroller when you retire. You could maybe start this journey now. Look into what it's going to take to get to the point where you can get on a patrol. You'll probably need to be an EMT or at least have some emergency medical type of training. Also, the skiing for a patroller is a lot different than the skiing for an instructor. Side slips between the poles is not the same as doing side slips in front of a PSIA examiner.

Lastly, have you looked into becoming an instructor? It's a whole different mind set. Coaching a group of never-evers from Alabama will certainly test your patience.
The training process will test your patience more. You've taken a lot of higher level lessons at Taos. How long has your instructor been teaching? I'lll bet at least 10 years but maybe more like 25 or 30 years. Imagine the patience they've developed working that long to get where they are. The really good ones never stop training and learning and trying to get more efficient at their skiing.

There's a lot more to skiing than trees and moguls. Start looking for it.

I have looked into both patrol and being an instructor, I almost joined PSIA. However, between my businesses and family the time isn't there. Maybe in a few years when the youngest is 10 or so, and we don't always have to have someone at the house watching them.

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions in your post.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, since the common recommendation seems to be for you to change, Brock, Imma gonna pull a 180 - embrace your aggression!! Grab it with both hands and squeeze as hard as you can! Drink its milkshake! Join the Freeride World Tour, and when you beaten to a bloody pulp your perspective may shift such that slow and peaceful takes on a whole new meaning.

Bring back video.

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, since the common recommendation seems to be for you to change, Brock, Imma gonna pull a 180 - embrace your aggression!! Grab it with both hands and squeeze as hard as you can! Drink its milkshake! Join the Freeride World Tour, and when you beaten to a bloody pulp your perspective may shift such that slow and peaceful takes on a whole new meaning.

Haha my remaining two major weak spots are drops and chokes. After I get those nailed, maybe!

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it it's admirable that you want to change. However, I would feel really bad if I thought my hubby was giving up something he loved just to be with me. I am perfectly ok with skiing separately and meeting back up. There is a pretty good chance your family feels the same way!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PSIA is a terrible idea. If you are frustrated now trying to teach 8 never ever adults will put you in the loony bin.

You have some good ideas here. Let us know how they work.

If you want a role model, go ski with @Ron at the 'Boat. He is the most genuinely gracious host/guide I have ever seen.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I watched a father ski with his son today at Alta. The kid was prob 7-8. He father got so inpatient on a flat that he was yelling at the kid to be faster.

Later the kid skied down a really narrow chute and fell after the first turn. The father skied down and asked him if he was okay. Then the kid said yes, he asked him “then why did you stop?” And skied away.

I felt bad for the kid and I think it’s prob traumatic to be skiing with someone who’s inpatient with you.

So like the other posters said, decide what your goals are for the day. And if you just want to rip hard on a powder day, just tell them. I’m sure they would rather know that you’ll be on your own than feeling rushed or being challenged on terrains they are not comfortable on.

We all have to make sacrifices and if you decide that it’s more important to spend time with family or friends on the mountain then you’ll need to sacrifice some fresh powder.

I’m not so sure this was really related to skiing, that was just the days activity. Sounds to me more like today’s typical youth sports parent. I could write a book on what I’ve seen in 30+ years of coaching on parental behavior.

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
PSIA is a terrible idea. If you are frustrated now trying to teach 8 never ever adults will put you in the loony bin.

This does concern me, but there are two mitigating factors. One, I really love seeing people progress, especially if it's from something I told/showed them. Two, then I'm getting paid (albeit not a lot) rather than paying to be there. Anyway, with my schedule, it's not happening any time soon.

Last edited:

Tom Cat

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
OP, I feel your pain. I ski mostly with buddies who share my love of speed and steeps, but when I do ski with my wife (intermediate), kids who are 8 and 10 and my mom (old) I have to dial it back big-time. Typical day at Taos for us = drop kids at ski school, ride lift 1 with wife and mom, ski a couple runs with them if not a powder day. Split up, hike and ski steeps, meet for lunch. Ski one or 2 together after lunch, then split off again. Grab kids a few minutes early, ski one T to B run with them. If you ask me, or any of them, we all skied together and had a great time.

When ski school is out of play, its a change in mindset. Making lots and lots of turns and just trying to see the mountain through their eyes too. Helps to enjoy and take pride in the progress they are making, which it sounds like you are doing. I wasn't hiking the ridge at Taos at 10, more like Chipmunk corner at SF for me at that age.

I lean more toward the nature awareness/mindful skiing enjoyment than PSIA continuous improvement, but everyone has different goals and interests of course.

Keep us posted with your progress!

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You do know that "telemark" is Norwegian for "wait for me", don't you? Give it a try. Twice the work, twice the fun.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I never considered it any problem at all when it came to my kids. I considered that a pleasure That's one sacrifice I would make every day and twice on sunday.
But having paid those dues already and gotten past that point, Im not looking to do it to that degree if others want to ski with us. Not when our ski days are very limited and are too valuable. Different if i was a local season pass holder and skied many days. But for my fam its much too far and few between and having been through the years of sacrificing for my own Im not about to now loose those only few valuable days per short season we get to go. You know how long it takes to get the kids to the point of more freedom when we were only able to go one weekend per year (and maybe another couple days if lucky)? Let me tell ya..it took years.

We will be out early, we'll meet up when you got your crap together for a bit, and then meet again later after we've had some of our valuable fill, we'll sacrifice some. But other than that, its too expensive, not often enough, and suffered through it for a long time. Too valuable. As said...would be a different story if skiing was local and we did it a whole lot. Already difficult enough dealing with the weekend or hoilday zoos of the small hills to begin with. But thats usually the times we get to go so not only is it limited vs many here but its also on days when its usually a zoo.

I dont feel that mean or disrespectful at all. Unless i invited you and your fam and then left you. Thats different story. But as i began this post, when it came to my kids the sacrifice was worth every second. And ll even help when other kids are involved and even adults but only to a degree. We just dont have the ski days per year to give up.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What I enjoy most about skiing is the challenge, and I'm constantly working to improve. My eyes are always on how to test my skills and improve my weaknesses. I take 4-10 lessons per season and advanced from a never-ever in 2012-2013 to the 9/10 Taos locals clinic in the 2016-2017 season, and was typically the worst skier in my class until this season.

It's how I'm wired. I'm not proud of my impatience and I want to find ways to get rid of it or work around it because I recognize that it makes me a bad person in some ways. I appreciate all the suggestions here to that effect.

Ask anyone here that skied with me at the Taos mini-gathering a few weeks ago if they agree with that statement. I'm happy to take critiques but IMO this is a pretty gross mischaracterization of my skiing.

Ummm - have you skied with Brock? Curious if you have, because I have, and I think you're FoS with this statement. Maybe you've seen it 'a thousand times' but if you haven't seen Brock ski then how can you generalize based on what he's written here? I've skied with Brock. I get called a "7+" at Alta by the instructor crew and I think that's accurate, I know my limits, aspire beyond them, and am NOT an expert skier. Brock is really good. I know because I watched him ski. And he's way better than I am.

If, as the OP himself has stated, he’s unable to enjoy skiing on easy, groomed terrain perhaps there’s a skill set he could develop with benefit to his overall skiing.

Late to the thread.
Disclaimer: FWIW, I've been to Taos and skied with Brock.

It's difficult to keep calm when one is climbing. The self drive is a required part for a successful ascent. Peace will come with time.

Sponsor

Staff online